Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Seriously !

netcat

ok guys... now really.

if the quickstart document has people doing a whole bunch of stuff that is NOT going to work, it is not only not helpfull it is actually doing the user a disfavor.

if the current version of hyperHQ software is uncapable of creating the XML files (or does it in a different fasion that the quickstart documentation says) WHY leave it posted ?

Please excuse me for my harshness

Granted, it took me 45 seconds to realize the quick setup guide was referring to another version (suspisciously impossible to obtain) but I ran across multiple posts of poor people wondering if they were going mad.

what amazes me the most is that just by running the main Hyperspin application it is quite evident someone really and i do mean REALLY worked hard at creating an extremelly polished piece of software s.. why fall short on the documentation ?

there is a new release of hyperspin coming soon, that is to make setup of hyperspin much more user friend;y. Any doco written now, would again become obsolete.

The info to setup and get it fully working is here, in the forums, you just need to search a little more, and use a little intuition...... figuring out how it works is half the fun

Please keep in mind hyperspin is beta. A beta means unfinished. The majoirty contributers, those that make configs, themes,m databases understand how HS works. Unfortunalty these same people may not be talented in other areas.

Personally writing a manual sucks, its a big job and the author needs to understand HS inside and out. So far non of us have attempted to tackle that task.

I have thought about creating a manual, but am very busy with real life too.

If you would like to put your money where your mouth is a create a manual, please do, you will get full credit, we will include it with our downloads.

The other options are wait, complain, search the forums, ask for help.

If you look at our userbase you will see it is quite vast, Im sure you can get the help you request, or figure it out yourself by using the 15 or so preconfigured systems and settings.

Brian Hoffman

Just read all of Chillinwater's hard work...if you can't figure out what to do from there, then you're probably better off waiting until the new version comes out. The main reason I love HS is because after months of configuring and various problems and frustrations...I've learned the in's and out's of it. Every day I learn something new, and the possibilities and combinations are limitless. It's very similar to my experimentation with a Linux operating system (NOT Ubuntu...it hardly qualifies)...you're only going to get out of it what you put into it. Hyperspin is a killer program with amazing scripting and artwork designed by the users for the users...and after trying every retarded (Sarah Palin is going to hate me for that one) front-end out there, Hyperspin is simply BADASS and worth every long hour you put into searching the forums and configuring it to your own personal wants/needs. Every person on here had to be (and still is) intimidated and/or overwhelmed at some point, and understands the headaches...but we are also more than willing to take what little free time we have to help new people discover Hyperspin. Set some time each day, and tackle one emulator at a time...and eventually you'll get it.

Just read all of Chillinwater's hard work...if you can't figure out what to do from there, then you're probably better off waiting until the new version comes out. The main reason I love HS is because after months of configuring and various problems and frustrations...I've learned the in's and out's of it. Every day I learn something new, and the possibilities and combinations are limitless. It's very similar to my experimentation with a Linux operating system (NOT Ubuntu...it hardly qualifies)...you're only going to get out of it what you put into it. Hyperspin is a killer program with amazing scripting and artwork designed by the users for the users...and after trying every retarded (Sarah Palin is going to hate me for that one) front-end out there, Hyperspin is simply BADASS and worth every long hour you put into searching the forums and configuring it to your own personal wants/needs. Every person on here had to be (and still is) intimidated and/or overwhelmed at some point, and understands the headaches...but we are also more than willing to take what little free time we have to help new people discover Hyperspin. Set some time each day, and tackle one emulator at a time...and eventually you'll get it.

well said :)

1st. I never said I COULDNT figure it out, I very much can and posibly may still decide to use hyperspin. as I said. the interface is georgeous and there aint no denying it

I spoke up because im the kind of person that would rather no help at all then beeing mislead.

I think its awesome you figured it out and should be proud of yourself and your achievements... what about a writeup for those of us who are old and tired (after 25 years of doing exactly what you just described)

Otherwize, rest assured me.... (being me), will huff and puff a bit more, kick some pebbles around. raise an eyebrow once or twice and then promptly ,figure it our, take snapshots, documennt it and post it, just to become disgruntled again next month when my documentation becomes obsolete.

....... it is the nature of the beast

he is right though... should have warnings posted everywhere, to the effect off.

Please note: Any current, historical or future documentation may now or at any time in the future may or may not become obsolete with any change in the dynamic environment of this beta application. and the third party applications that are out of the HS communities hands, that may or may not be used with Hyperspin depending on your own personal choices and requirements.

And then go on to mention... depending on your iq, experience and personal requirements, setup can take anywhere between hhmmm <1 hours and >6 months.

That would stop a lot of people wasting their time. Or maybe all the resources should just go into documentation instead of the coding :puke:

......not

1st. I never said I COULDNT figure it out, I very much can and posibly may still decide to use hyperspin. as I said. the interface is georgeous and there aint no denying it

I spoke up because im the kind of person that would rather no help at all then beeing mislead.

I think its awesome you figured it out and should be proud of yourself and your achievements... what about a writeup for those of us who are old and tired (after 25 years of doing exactly what you just described)

Otherwize, rest assured me.... (being me), will huff and puff a bit more, kick some pebbles around. raise an eyebrow once or twice and then promptly ,figure it our, take snapshots, documennt it and post it, just to become disgruntled again next month when my documentation becomes obsolete.

....... it is the nature of the beast

netcat, a lot of us are as old as you are. The majority of our contributors are 28+ in age. We all work for a living, have kids at home, worry about our economic situations. No one is questioning your ability's. We too see the value in good accurate and sound documentation. No one has really stepped up to write a proper manual, and being beta has made it much less appealing because we know it will change.

I'm sure I or someone may get to it, for now we don't have one.

Brian Hoffman

To all of those attempting to pretend there is no problem.

The Inability to acknowledge (or correct) the fact that by openly posting ERRONEOUS information you are doing more harm than good, reflects very porly on the authors and comunity of an otherwize mezmerizing application

YES I know im touching close to home, and yes I do apologize to all of those whoms feelings have been bruised and have had their feather ruffled.

the simple fact is.....

"sorry your stupid and you cant figure it out, we dont care enough to NOT post erroneous information, so please proceed to the nearest exit were you will be provided a lemon to suck on"

is a very poor excuse. To put it mildly.

To The author and documenters.

* The application is amazing

* Providing I have the patience and time I would LOVE to get more involved much like I have in past years in many other projects. including the implementation of BETABRIGHT signs on Mame and jukebox applications (YES that was my brainchild)

* I was simply stating a fact and advizing against bad publicity didnt mean to piss off half the users

You are doing a fantastic and very polished job. please let not my (or anyone elses opinion) discourage you in any way, shape or form.

One of the reasons why it's taking long for the new HS to be released is partially due to a documentation effort that Bill has been working on. So the new version will have some basic documentation at release. It is not going to be anywhere near a complete guide, but it will walk through the basics of some things.

What we really do need is a good, precise, document on rom management, CLRMamePro, renaming and game list creation. The trick to HyperSpin is to use the most current and up to date MAME rom sets and NO-INTRO rom sets. If you have this then you are almost golden...

One of the reasons why it's taking long for the new HS to be released is partially due to a documentation effort that Bill has been working on. So the new version will have some basic documentation at release. It is not going to be anywhere near a complete guide, but it will walk through the basics of some things.

What we really do need is a good, precise, document on rom management, CLRMamePro, renaming and game list creation. The trick to HyperSpin is to use the most current and up to date MAME rom sets and NO-INTRO rom sets. If you have this then you are almost golden...

Yep, Im working on doc's right now even. It sucks to. In the mean time I told Chillinwater that I was making these doc's and I had asked him to write a quick n' dirty guide to get some users started while we all wait. He was kind enough to do so.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5598

This is kind of getting blown out of proportion. I'm pretty sure no one meant you any disrespect or anything so don't take it personal. Yes the current documentation is not amazing, but like they're saying, the new version is about to come out and it would be pointless to make a good one now. Pretty much what you NEED to know is on the link BBB provided, it will get your basics set up and if it's not on there then most likely it's somewhere on the forums. Soon enough we will have lovely new doc's that are all shiney and wonderful, which I could def use. :proud:

The Inability to acknowledge (or correct) the fact that by openly posting ERRONEOUS information you are doing more harm than good, reflects very porly on the authors and comunity of an otherwize mezmerizing application

No one is saying that we don't have good documentation. We're also not posting erroneous information, we're just saying that we're not going to create thorough documentation for HS version 0.8.0.1 because thing ARE going to change on the next release- currently available info is still valid, it will become invalid (some of it) with the new release, but we're not gonna start removing threads now to avoid that.

And, for the last few days I (and Shimoda) have been putting together some basic documentation in a single resource that's easy to read, and easy to understand. It lets you know, on a per-system level what's available, what's not available, where to get what is available, and how to use it.

So I'll ask for the third time, would you like to help? Or would you like to keep posting more "I'm frustrated..." "I don't understand..." "it'd be better if..." threads, that I take time to read and reply to, that detract from actual work?

Hope I'm not being too mean, I am sincerely asking for help, the more help we have, the faster it gets done, and it's not really like you would have to do anything- it's just compiling resources.

As far as rom management and clrmamepro use goes, another user on another forum I frequent posted a most excellent guide on rebuilding sets, updating and the like. Either that user could simply be contacted, or an updated and more generic guide of the same sort could be created. If anyone would like, I will take this on in just a few days. Soon as a few other things are complete.

I am not trying to be rude. I read through the posts and I read them as "We know there are some doc issues. We know it's in beta now. We know HS will change a lot. If you want to correct the docs please do so.

I'm not saying there is no problem. I'm saying you went about finding help the wrong way.

HS is free. Imagine the hours that went into it. Your post should have said:

Wow, this is amazing. I want to say thanks for the hundreds upon hundreds of hours donated to the project.

Is there anyone who can help me configure HS? The docs are a little dated and I need a few pointers.

There are members here (Like Brian) who will go as far as remoting into your machine to help you. (I know, he did this for me and doesnt know me from a hole in the wall).

Not trying to flame you, not trying to troll your post. Just sayin'

So I'll ask for the third time, would you like to help? Or would you like to keep posting more "I'm frustrated..." "I don't understand..." "it'd be better if..." threads, that I take time to read and reply to, that detract from actual work?

Hope I'm not being too mean, I am sincerely asking for help, the more help we have, the faster it gets done, and it's not really like you would have to do anything- it's just compiling resources.

What do you need done, I'd be more than happy to put a few hours per week into it:top:

What do you need done, I'd be more than happy to put a few hours per week into it

Acutally, I'm headed to Bali for the week, but I'll get in touch with ya when I get back- or you can talk with Shimoda ;) thanks for the help!

• 4 years later...

Archived