Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

Thanks Richie. I'll be keeping the PC separate - it's next to my desk in a corner, out of the way.

For the front section(s), I am in the process of building an air intake with mesh:

AirIntake3_zpse45dcb23.jpg

AIMesh1_zpse20b8d7b.jpg

And I have a grille for the front (I may not attach this - I will see what it looks like before deciding):

GrillMashBars_zps7fbaa74c.jpg

There's a badge and a tow hook too:

RPodBadge_zpse5f3e57e.jpg

BitsNBobs_zpsbb79979e.jpg

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Richie. I am pleased with how the grille turned out, I'm just debating whether the front will look too busy!

With the remaining filler sanded down ad a few extra spots re-done, it was time to apply the vinyl. Two hands are better than one for larger, more complex surfaces. Before starting, it goes without saying that the area should be inspected very carefully for debris. Typically, I will is a duster and then brush with my hands.

Line the vinyl up and push it firmly around the first edge. It's a very important step to ensure there are no bubbles. All the places where I've applied previously haven't developed any. Note: 90 decree angles are very difficult and typicaly I will try and avoid that or use a light chamfer to help it along.

Step 1: line the vinyl up and negotiate the first edge:

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

Step 2: carefully draw back the backing paper and smooth the vinyl on:

Vinyl1point5_zps49448544.jpg

Step 3: continue to cover the piece, ensuring to press firmly around any remaining edges:

Vinyl2_zps358bd233.jpg

Step 4: rough trim excess to allow the final trim to be easier:

Vinyl3_zps1413b623.jpg

Step 5: get the tools ready, a decent flat length of wood strip and a sharp knife:

Vinyl4_zpsc5cced02.jpg

Step 6: work in sections to make the process easier:

Vinyl5_zps963bb8ae.jpg

Step 7: complete all the sides:

Vinyl6_zpsf2ccb131.jpg

On close inspection, it looks to have gone on very well with no bumps or air bubbles.

I've painted the outside face of the front to ensure that no MDF is visible should there be any gap:

PaintPrep_zps65cd0df3.jpg

The left side piece is now in place with the wiring for the LEDs fed through the dash section. Close-up of the fit:

InsideFrontCloseup_zpsb5f47c79.jpg

Profile:

FirstSideOn_zpsfbc09b33.jpg

It's looking decidedly meaner imho.

I bought one of these to control the lighting:

Lighting5copy_zps6f436efd.jpg

Completed the lighting for the wiring (hot glue gun will be used to make all the wiring secure):

Lighting1_zpsefb1199c.jpg

Side:

Lighting3_zpsf5fb3168.jpg

Top (this will be masked considerably by the monitor hood so only a thin slice of light comes through - can you slice light?):

Lighting4_zpsf19e9fd3.jpg

Nose:

Lighting2_zps5238c017.jpg

It looks like a solaruim in there ... best get some tanning lotion ...

Thanks mattedsmith - I've not tried a temporary fit but I suspect I'll leave it as is.

The vinyl is self adhesive richie_jones and sticks extremely well to MDF provided that it's free from dust.

Started on the dashboard top panel. This is what I call a 4 hour piece of wood.

Cutouts to allow the piece to slot in:

DashPanel3_zps7ee7120e.jpg

Beveling on the front face:

dashpanel4_zpsbff53b1e.jpg

Extra depth to avoid the CSW wheel base interfering with the panel:

DashPanel1_zps04d6ff81.jpg

Curved around the CSW base to ensure it's visible:

DashPanel2_zpsfa53f82a.jpg

The whole piece will be covered in leather material. The back will be hidden by the monitor hood.

Without a doubt, the most difficult part of the whole build, upholstering the dash ... It took about 2 hours to get this on. I almost gave up, twice. The staples will be hidden by the monitor cover.

Fully covered:

upholstered2_zpsb50f944c.jpg

I'll need to epoxy the material to the edges.

In place:

Upholstered1_zpsb6312deb.jpg

wow, i read leather before i scrolled down and thought that it wouldnt look right. boy was i wrong, that looks slick as hell. I say go for the grille, it'll look nice. then down the road maybe add a CO2 tank and a blow off valve with an actuator switch. nothing will make beating that new lap time better than sounding off the valve!

Cheers HazzardActual :beer: I have the leather material in a couple of other places. It goes one easily on flat surfaces. More complex shapes ... not so!

I'll be concentrating on the dashboard next - won't have the opportunity to go overboard would love some sim instruments - fuel guage etc - but my budget has been well and truly blown with this! I'll design it in to be flexible and probably cut another couple of dashboard panels out for when I do upgrade.

Blow off valve sounds a blast - literally :)

Most of this morning was spent finishing off the dash top plate and designing the dash panel. I also rough cut one of the sides for the monitor hood. It still needs quite a bit of work yet:

MonitorSide_zpsc6e80676.jpg

I made a template for the dash panel which took much longer than expected and then cut both of them out:

LeftDashPanel_zpsbf4ea8dd.jpg

The lower part will have a vinyl R-Pod logo:

RightDashPanel_zps3dec63c6.jpg

And will be covered in real carbon fibre:

CarbonFibre_zpsb4faf4a4.jpg

All the pieces for the monitor cover have been cut:

HoodBits_zps0691357d.jpg

I've cut a hole in the top which will allow TrackIR to be fitted. I will be amking another box to fit on the top of the monitor to house the TrackIR receiver. Connected by convoluted sheathing rather than an ugly, thin wire:

TopCable_zps7dad90b3.jpg

Currently gluing everything together (epoxy with some extra wood glue down the sides. I've made some braces for added support and will attach these later:

GlueTime_zps0cf72a44.jpg

Thanks lmsilva :) The wheel is a cracking one!

With all the focus on the front and the dash, I'd completely forgotten about the right side panel for the seat base:

SidePanelComplete4_zpsb71f6bad.jpg

I'd redone it all a couple of weeks ago and forgotten about it (there have been bits lying around all over the place). I got around to cutting the mesh, acrylic, artwork and backing board:

RightSeatPanel2_zps9c22161c.jpg

Just loose assembled at the moment. I'll get the hot glue gun out and then glue and screw it together:

RightSeatPanel1_zps728afaec.jpg

Well, my deadline to finish this cab was today - looks like I've missed it but still have 3 days to go before work beckons. I know I won't get to finish the dashboard layout as I've only just ordered the DSD button box. Hopefully I can set everything up so I just have that to do and stop boring you all with all these updates :)

Finished attaching the outer 2 pieces of the monitor hood:

Hood1_zps466540b3.jpg

Looks like I was a little off with the top piece. Nothing that a bit of filler can't resolve:

Hood2_zpsa03c7819.jpg

Well, my deadline to finish this cab was today - looks like I've missed it but still have 3 days to go before work beckons. I know I won't get to finish the dashboard layout as I've only just ordered the DSD button box. Hopefully I can set everything up so I just have that to do and stop boring you all with all these updates :)

Far from boring!!! I look forward to seeing your updates on a daily basis. And miss them when you don't post.

Even if I don't say anything, I still watch the thread with great anticipation!

The work you have done is incredible!

Thanks,

Ron

Thank you both :) I'm making some of this stuff up as I go along - you never really know how it's going to turn out sometimes.

Test fit:

HoodOn1_zpsd7616512.jpg

I've left room to fit an aluminium bar at the bottom but I cant' help thinking it needs something to perk it up a little - I've bought another sheet of acrylic for a small r-pod logo cutout panel (new Batman pictures in the background :) ):

HoodOn2_zpsbb64eb91.jpg

As the main rig build is drawing to a conclusion (as is my holiday), today I will be taking a diversion and start on the accessories:

1. Amp and fan unit:

Shelf 1 - Amplifier

Shelf 2 - Fan

Cable cavity - Hide all the unsightly cables and power strips

2. Mouse and keyboard unit

Shelf 1: Cavity for shoes

Shelf 2: Mouse surface and recess for cup

Keyboard mount - haven't finalised the design on this yet

3. Accessory wall plate

Headphone hook

Hat hook

Glove shelf

The hooks / shelves will be similar to something I made for my PC:

Take some coat hangers and bend them to shape:

DIYGamingstorage1.jpg

Make a backing board and insert the wire into it:

DIYGamingStorage4.jpg

Attach it to the wall:

DIYGamingStorage5.jpg

The first side piece for the amp unit has been cut. I don't want to go too fancy with this, the rig needs to be the centrepiece really. A hole has been cut in the side for some interest and also to allow air to circulate.

Rough cut:

AmpRough_zpsf9957d07.jpg

Flush trimmed:

AmpFlush_zps6552b517.jpg

Archived