Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

Indeed vaad. The challenge for me is getting the balance with making tangible progress and not geting too hung up on very minor flaws.

I've finished it and am satisfied:

ProblemPiece2_zps3cf87855.jpg

SideFlatBlack2_zps3cecacd4.jpg

SideFlatBlack_zpse8ce6f1b.jpg

I will coat it in polyurethane tomorrow and then start cutting the mesh, artwork and acrylic.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed vaad. The challenge for me is getting the balance with making tangible progress and not geting too hung up on very minor flaws.

I've finished it and am satisfied:

ProblemPiece2_zps3cf87855.jpg

SideFlatBlack2_zps3cecacd4.jpg

SideFlatBlack_zpse8ce6f1b.jpg

I will coat it in polyurethane tomorrow and then start cutting the mesh, artwork and acrylic.

is that flat black and water based poly?

Started cutting the side sections for the dashboard. This will extend beyond the side panels on the front an make it wider to accommodate more buttons etc. there will also be a space behind it and those side panels for more air ducting. It will also enable me to create an angled dash so the outer part will be slightly closer for me to reach:

DashSide1_zps6162772c.jpg

DashSide2_zpsd3bb1f15.jpg

It's my wife's birthday today and I need to get some building in before we go out ...

Edit:

Just to give an idea concerning the spacing / air vent metioned earlier:

Spacing2_zps2eed19c0.jpg

Spacing1_zps0d2060c8.jpg

It will give a more 3 dimensional look to the build.

Looking great ericleroi. I am going to try the polyurethane and blackboard paint method on my next cabinet as the results speak for themselves by looking at your pics.

How many control buttons do you think will be needed? And can I ask where are you getting the custom branded gear like your hat, mouse pad and epoxy logo badge from cause they are awesome! Really takes it to a whole new level.

Thanks maxxsinner. Ifrom previous experience, it can be the little details which make the difference. I'm trying to strike a balance with the 'accessories' and not overload it too much.

Regarding the buttons, I'll likely purchase a Derek Speare Designs button box and decase it. It still represents good value doing it this way and I know all the components will be compatible. The one I'm looking at is here:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/p1p2.html

The mousepad and mat can be bought from many on-line shops. I ordered mine from here:

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk

The badge I ordered from an no-line Name Badge making site. I used this one:

http://www.namebadgesinternational.co.uk/

Have fun!

I have to say you have some serious skills. The attention to detail you have is outstanding. You have a well thought out plan that makes me jealous. Your sure to have many hours of fun with this, unless your like me and enjoy the build more than the play. Good luck and can't wait to see the final piece in place.

holy crap, that handbrake is so awesome

I try not to look at sites like that too often. Some of the equipment is outrageously good.

Great craftsmanship as usual Ericleroi :)

Thanks connorsdad. Still deciding on the configuration of some aluminium strips to embed over the mesh. I'm completely undeceided though and may not go for them at all. Decisions, decisions.

I have to say you have some serious skills. The attention to detail you have is outstanding. You have a well thought out plan that makes me jealous. Your sure to have many hours of fun with this, unless your like me and enjoy the build more than the play. Good luck and can't wait to see the final piece in place.

Thanks iiixtreme. It's probably due me endlessly (read obsessively) piecing things together in my mind and then just ploughing through the build. I do enjoy the process as much as the use I get out whatever is created.

There are some small jobs which I can complete during the week. I'd been meaning to tidy up the footwell / kickplates and ensure that there was no MDF visible. There was an area behing the kickplates and also down the side of the side panel where this would have been the case.

Firstly, I painted the visible areas with flat black paint:

BlankingStrips4_zpsaed2012e.jpg

Then I made some blanking plates which would:

-Raise the kick plate to integrate better with the T-Molding on the front.

-Add more protection to the side of the foot well and ensure that any foot scuffs wouldn't cause the vinyl in that area to peel.

-Tidy up an area visible between the kick plate and the seat base.

Blanking plates:

BlankingStrips3_zps6ebf0ae2.jpg

I covered these in vinyl for a good finish:

BlankingStrips1_zps7362db00.jpg

Close-up of the vinyl - I can't recommend this stuff enough, it has a lovely texture:

BlankingStrips2_zpsbc7b9b18.jpg

The section is now a lot tidier:

BlankingStrips5_zpsb5722727.jpg

I will need to use epoxy to glue all these pieces in-place.

The Makita is a great tool - beats the hell out of a substandard and underpowered Black and Decker I used to have.

Quality control has rejected the panel as it has too many flaws. If I don't do it right, I'll know it's there :)

A list of things I'm hoping to get done this weekend:

Make hinged drop down panel for 'glove box' - this is to hide the USB Hub under the wheel shelf

Widen cable hole on top of dashboard - the monitor cable doesn't fit through this at present

Fit interior cable ducting - tidy up / hide interior cables

Power and cable management - Fit velcro for better cable management (and 4-way power extension) inside dash area and below wheel shelf

Permanently attach blanking plates / kick plated - Screw in / epoxy these pieces

Attach thin foam to inside of shifter console - will help to reduce any vibrations between the shifter console and the base

Cut new internal shifter / Buttkicker mount - needs to be a single piece for better Buttkicker effects

Wire up pedal and shifter Buttkickers - Only the seat buttkickers are operational at present

Apply vinyl to inside visible faces of front panel, wheel shelf and glove box - remove any visible MDF

Complete side panel - currently re-filling and sanding. Will need to cut wire mesh, acrylic, artwork backing board

Route inlays for aluminium strips on front side panels - I will be going for 'one and one'

Still To-do:

Shape dashboard sides

Cut dashboard side attachments - this will include 'venting'

Cut dashboard top pieces

Design and cut dashboard fascia panels - I will need to trim some of the side panel pieces to allow for buttons and rotary controls

Finishing for side pieces - aluminium bars, painting and varnishing, mesh, rubber sheet inlay with backing board

Finishing for dashboard sides - inlay for rubber sheet plus backing board

Add pleather to top of dashboard

Device holder - make a cradle to hold portable device to sit behind the CSW base

Design and build hood for monitor / TrackIR

External vinyl application

Complete air intake for the hood

Attach grill / tow hook to front

Accessories / secondary units:

Design and build amplifier rack - this will have a fan on top - it gets hot racing

Design and build mouse and keyboard unit

Design and build accessory racking - wall panels for holding wheel rims, secondary shifter knob, hat, gloves, headphones

Design and build base with integrated LED lighting

Still to purchase

Real carbon fibre sheets for dashboard fascia

Derek Speare Designs button box - to be disassembled and integrated into the build

6mm MDF for glove box drop down panel

Cooling fan

MDF and rubber for base

At some point in the future:

New graphics card - GTX 880 probably

3 screens

1000w amp for large Buttkicker

Large Buttkicker

New headphiones - probably Astro a50's

There's bound to be quite a few things I've missed ...

Archived