Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

These are just white and they seem to be a little more stable. I'd had issues previously with the RGB ones as well. I elected to hot glue everything in place this time and it seems to be working fine. I've made sure I've tested them all several times and will continue to test when fitting. I'm hoping they will work consistently.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 coat primer

Sand

1 coat primer

Sand

1 coat blackboard paint

Sand or wet n dry?

1 coat black board paint

Sand or wet n dry?

1 coat blackboard paint

Sand or wet n dry?

1 coat polyurethane varnish

Sand or wet n dry?

Sand or wet n dry?

Sand or wet n dry?

The reason I'm asking is I'm on my 3rd attempt at a vpin cab speaker panel and I just can't get the finish I'm after. Still trying out various methods on mdf samples.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No wet and dry, just a reasonably fine grit on the blackboard paint. I also don't sand between coats with the poly. This does give a slightly textured finish (from the poly) which may not be what you're after.

After blackboard paint:

XBOXArcade87_zps321fd6e9.jpg

After poly:

SideVinyl2_zps3696644f.jpg

I use a brush to apply the primer/undercoat and a small foam roller for everything else.

Edit: Just to say that my technique changes slightly from time to time. This is what I'm using on this build.

A bit of painting, sanding and painting.

Flat black first coat after sanding:

DashFlatBlack1_zpsb2d8f243.jpg

Second coat waiting to dry:

DashFlatBlack2_zpsc0e2858f.jpg

Managed to get a bit of wiring / testing sorted out.

Bits from the electronics store:

Wiring1_zps9b26b98d.jpg

Wired to a toggle switch:

Wiring3_zpsf177f930.jpg

Hurrah, it works (electrics isn't my strong suit):

Wiring2_zps1f4ed869.jpg

Well it looks like I'm out of time for the weekend. I can carry on with the painting during the week.

I managed to get 2 coats onto one of the side panels - fortunately it looks like the 8 or so hours prepping were worthwhile:

Farshot_zpsb212c20b.jpg

FrontPanelPaint2_zps7a4c98a0.jpg

FrontPanelPaint1_zps835b81ff.jpg

Thanks very much for the positive comments :)

@Steve, I started working on the 8th Feb and have put in about 15 - 20 hours / week since then which would make it around 14 weeks or so. The estimate would be somewhere between 200 - 280 hours. I spent about 8 hours just filling and sanding the front side panels over the weekend so it's easy to see where the time goes!

Couldn't wait so I got busy attaching the side panel. The glue looks to have dried (I should have waited really but am keen to get this complete and no damage was done).

Pictures are rubbish so I'll take some more tomorrow:

NoLEDs_zps080b7cde.jpg

The Picture captures blue light for some reason:

LEDsLightOn_zps024a0613.jpg

Grainy dark picture:

LEDsLighOff_zpse36e3878.jpg

It will look a lot better and more balanced once the main dashboard surface is in-place.

After having road tested the rig for a while, I was finding that despite the shelf bracing, there was still a bit of vertical flex. Not enough to be a deal breaker but sufficient for me to do something about it. It looks to be the MDF itself which is bending between the lower braces so I have reinforced it with another sheet. This kills 2 birds with one stone as I actually wanted the wheel another couple of cm higher. Hopefully it will remove the flex completely:

NoFlex_zpsb5f80aa4.jpg

This is a warts and all build so a few pictures of the progress today. I've been inching towards the vinal application but needed to get all those last little jobs complete.

First up, now that I have been able to attach the sides for the dashboard, I was able to determine how much space I need to allow for to fit switches. These are deep and I don't want to compromise on the layout so ... time for a bit of butchering.

First the sides:

FinalPrep1_zpsf0fb5bb5.jpg

Then the panels:

FinalPrep6_zps3a8179ac.jpg

Holes have also been drilled on the main rig for the LEDs. Lots of lining up, assembling and disassembling.

Prepare the internal screws to attach the panels to the sides making sure I hit a 'thick' part and don't end up screwing through the inlays:

FinalPrep4_zps94e12b70.jpg

I have some of these to cover them:

FinalPrep5_zps4fb432e4.jpg

Some nice big screws for some extra, extra added stability to the wheel support:

FinalPrep2_zpsea1cf6f9.jpg

FinalPrep3_zpsd7830cc1.jpg

The stability is improved considerably and barely moves at all.

Also tidied uo the bottom panel (the one with the tow hook), some flush trimming, filling, sanding and painting (I need to put a couple more coats on and apply vinyl to the back of it):

FinalPrep7_zpsb3e0f301.jpg

An extra power strip was attached after cutting the cable down to size.

Wiring for the lower LEDs was also prepares and run through the cable sheathing.

Still need to give is a bit of a clean inside.

A productive day without too much to show for it though :)

Will the pc be housed in the main front section. Are you stripping thr pc down or just chucking in a cased pc.

The front unpainted part. Is this having any fancy bits like grills etc...

Great work you've gone this far I definately think it needs three screens now!!!

Look forward to the updates...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived