Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some instructions I had prepared earlier. The technique does change from time to time depending on the project but this is what I used for this build:

1. For exposed MDF edges, seal with car body filler or similar.

2. Sand back until smooth (lower grit fist going fairly gently to get rid of the 'lumps', then a higher grit e.g. 380), trying to ensure that there are no fluffy bits. I use a sanding block and circular motion to sand.

3. Prime with standard water based primer/undercoat using a brush

4. Inspect for imperfections and mark them out

5. Apply more filler and sand as required

6. Apply second coat of primer / undercoat and lightly sand back.

7. Inspect for imperfections and inconsistencies and repeat filling if necessary

8. Apply water based blackboard paint using a small foam roller

9. Sand back lightly.

10. Repeat 9 and 10 (twice, if necessary)

11. Apply water based polyurethane with a foam roller ensuring there are no bubbles.

12. Repeat 12 upo to 4 more times, no sanding in between. Typically, I apply 3 coats.

The difficult bit to get right is the application of the polyurethane. This needs to be 'worked'. The secret is not to load too much onto the roller andto work with the initial coverage fairly quicky. I apply it much like a brush in the sense that I don't use one continuous movement. A continuous motion will likely streak, giving an uneven finish. Once covered, repeat the process very lightly, without any more polyurethane on the roller, to get rid of any bubbles. Make sure the area and wood is as free as possible from dust and fluff.

The polyurethane is very durable and dries very quickly so all these coats shouldn't take too long.

Just charging the video camera HazzardActual! It's my wife's and I don't know how to use it yet. It'll likely be another couple of weeks before I post something.

Filled, primed and applied 2 coats of flat black to the monitor sides:

Monitorhood2_zps1aa80b97.jpg

Also fitted an aluminium bar to the lower section of the hood:

Monitorhood1_zpsbde7ef86.jpg

The back of the monitor hood is complete, just a blanking plate visible from the front to cover. Also just finished up with the initial prep for the dash panels. I've filled, sanded and painted the outer edges so everything is clean. These are covered with vinyl but will have the carbon fibre set in from the edge to make the effect more interesting (besides which, the sheet of carbon fibre is 1/2 cm too short to cover both panels):

CoveredPanel2_zps503dde90.jpg

A couple of bad pictures due to the lighting:

CoveredPanel1_zpsc2d931a2.jpg

Front view of the monitor hood/blanking plate:

CoveredPanel3_zps986062e4.jpg

Archived