Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compressable high density foam has been used to secure the monitor hood. This sits between the monitor posts and the inside of the hood. It provides a great deal of resistance to avoid the hood being accidentally knocked off. There's no chance that will happen now.

Hood in place:

AlmostComplete_zpse5919a52.jpg

Thanks maxxsinner. Hopefully there aren't too many pieces to complete now as I've been trying to finish every part entirely as I've been going along. I do know what you mean though, I still have a few things to sort out on the Vewlix cabinet!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been contemplating the dashboard panel layout and other aspects that need to be completed. I've decided on a design and literally just finished ordering the necessary components. It turns out the DSD button box will be quite a lot of work to take apart and refit but I'm not going to let that deter me.

I figured I would include a missile switch cover:

MissileSwitchCover_zps40af7512.jpg

Up to 4 Neutrik connectors should I want to add any devices or headphones etc:

Neutrik_zps2e9e1c16.jpg

Some small self tapping hex screws (difficult to locate these) to mount the dash panels:

SelfTappingScrews_zps71a81e95.jpg

I have the lights and fan (located on a unit to the side of the pod and plugged into an RF activated socked) remotes to wire up with momentary contact push buttons.

PushButtons_zpsc254f556.jpg

I will be making a small panel to sit just in front of the shifter on the side pod. This and the dash panels will be covered with real carbon fibre sheet:

CarbonFibre1_zpsf2c1722f.jpg

So a lot of purchases to allow me to get this finished!

At a later date, I will add three screens, a larger Buttkicker (for large bump and collision effects) and another amp. Still lots of expense required to finally complete this :)

Edit: Oh, and I've been hammering the heck out it!

Now that all the parts and materials have arrived, I've got myself together to make some more progress on the panels. The left panel will have 4 toggle switches, 4 rotary switches and 2 Neutrik USB ports. The right panel will have an 2 toggle switches (one with a missile switch cover), an engine start button, 4 momentary contact push buttons and 2 Neutric USB ports.

Left panel covered with carbon fibre (USB ports need to be screwed in):

LeftPanel1_zps7502f810.jpg

Progress on the toggle / rotary switches:

LeftPanel2_zps8095f278.jpg

Thanks Hazzard and richie. Yes, I'll be printing some labels to place next to the buttons. I've left the bottom angled part of the panels free for a logo.

The wiring is complete. In the process of fitting and tidying. The cables are a mess but everything is secure (hot glue all over the place :) ) and working. I've also done a little more work in the wheel stem - the blanking plate at the front will be re-fitted.

Full frontal:

DashFitting1_zps8533c80a.jpg

Right panel:

DashFitting3_zps55f4bf4c.jpg

Left Panel:

DashFitting2_zps20a07301.jpg

Close-up (glad I held out for the hex screws):

DashFitting4_zps060a46e3.jpg

Thanks for the feedback :)

It was a shame the wheel came fitted with the BMW logo, some prefer that type of thing but I'd rather it had come with a Fanatec one. I have been looking for a replacement badge to fit the recess which will be left if it's removed. An R-Pod one would be a good idea.

In terms of other R-Pod related things, I have a few ideas. I have 2 remotes, both RF so line of sight isn't an issue. One currently operates a plug socket which the fan is plugged into, The other activates the LED lighting. I have bought some additional push buttons and intend to wire these up to the remotes. I'll be making a small, carbon fibre panel to sit in front of the shifter to operate these. The remotes will be hidden inside the shifter pod.

I will also be making an iPhone holder - there are apps which output additional race information in real time. That was one of the reasons for using the Neutrik USB ports; I'll connect the iPhone with a coiled lightning cable:

CoiledLightningCable_zps2925ae7e.jpg

Also planned is a small keyboard/mouse unit which will also hold a couple of quick release wheel rims - thinking about one of the 7 Fanatec have release to add to the collection at some point. The surface will have a recess for a glass / cup / can. I already have the mouse mat (well 2 actually, the first shipment was delayed so they sent me another):

RPODMouse_zps8ffde927.jpg

Archived