Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Xbox360 Wireless Controller

mitchm

Hi Guys,

Im up to getting a controller connected to my HTPC to start smashing some games out...

I want to get the wireless 360 controller running, but i wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Is it just plug and play ?

2. Do i need a dongle or something to get this working, if so can someone link me please

3. Do i need software eg xpadder to config keys or is this done at a HyperLaunch level ?

Also when charging does it charge like normal as in plug in the usb cable into a free port and it works to charge as well as play ?

Thanks very much for your time.

I personally like xpadder and would stick with microsoft genuine gear. I.e. receiver and controller. I have 4 setup and love it. 2 of mine are regular double a rechargeables and the other 2 are charge and play. Charging those only works through a pc or xbox usb port. Hope that helps.

1. No you'll need drivers. www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows

2. You'll need this. www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B00E0OB7MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397000334&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+xbox+360+wireless+receiver

3. If you want to control Hyperspin with it, then yes. Most emulators can use the 360 controller without xpadder, you just need to configure them.

My 360 controllers just use AA batteries.

Hi Guys,

Im up to getting a controller connected to my HTPC to start smashing some games out...

I want to get the wireless 360 controller running, but i wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Is it just plug and play ?

2. Do i need a dongle or something to get this working, if so can someone link me please

3. Do i need software eg xpadder to config keys or is this done at a HyperLaunch level ?

Also when charging does it charge like normal as in plug in the usb cable into a free port and it works to charge as well as play ?

Thanks very much for your time.

You need an official microsoft dongle. (it comes with the wireless 360 controller for windows)

It's plug and play with games that support gamepads.

You will need to restart your pc after the drivers are initially installed.

xpadder is needed to use any joystick with hyperspin. xpadder will be desired to navigate hyperpause as well. Xpadder will also allow you to play pc games that never had joystick support.

To use the controller you will need the dongle to be connected to your computer even if you have the usb cable plugged in.

The dongle supports up to 4 wireless controllers.

It charges like a normal 360 controller.

Warning the controller I linked does not come with a rechargeable battery (only the AA pack). The rechargeable battery is sold separately.

looks like gigapig beat me to it.

Xpadder is needed even for emulators. Some does not support joypads, others does recognize xbox360 controller BUT will map right/left/up/down on the analog stick and that is a nightmare with some arcade games (shmups are basically unplayable). Another issue: mame does not support xinput so your trigger buttons will share the same axis. You can use it for racing games in mame but you need to reverse a pedal axis (brake or acceleration, game dependant) in mame option. You will have analog input but you will not be able to use them as separate analog inputs (while not pressing them you will have +50% on pedal 1 and 50% on pedal 2).

Xbox 360 is really good for games needing analog input (WONDERFUL with nullDC, model2emulator, supermodel as they support xinput) but D-pad is really bad. You'll jump more than you would in street fighter clones...

There is even an "unofficial" driver supporting xbox360 controller (XBCD) supporting separate axis for triggers under directinput but as far as I know it supports only wired controllers.

Hi guys,

Im having a hard time finding this item that ships to Australia.... the amazon one does not ship to Australia.

I did find clones on ebay but they look cheap and nasty... do they work ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Wireless-Controller-Gaming-Receiver-for-XBOX360-PC-Windows-7-8-Black-/141217755763?pt=AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item20e13bf273&_uhb=1

If not can someone recommend a place that ships to International ?

Thanks.

Microsoft store? http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/pdp/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-for-Windows-with-PC-USB-Adapter/productID.273183800

Can't get more official than ordering it directly from the company that makes them.

I was only wanting the dongle infact.... i already have some controllers... so really the dongle is all i want to save the money... BUT if all else fails then i can buy it locally for about 44 bux genuine.....

i just bought a cheap chinese one off of amazon a few weeks ago. a little wonky setting it up, but now it runs great. no problems at all

Your right there, if you read the reviews of the cheap ones, it's usually the driver install that causes problems, probably from the driver disc that comes with it. But I think you can use the drivers I posted earlier.

Your right there, if you read the reviews of the cheap ones, it's usually the driver install that causes problems, probably from the driver disc that comes with it. But I think you can use the drivers I posted earlier.

yeah i ended up having to download them from the website, and even then it didnt want to recognize the dongle. after a bit of coaxing it worked.

Whatever you do, do not get a clone for best results get microsoft genuine controllers and receiver. It is worth the extra money.

I'm not sure that microsoft still makes the dongles in house. At least, not that I could find, and the one that I got from amazon that was advertised as geniuine ended up being generic.

I'll also recommend again as an alternative, is to use Wii U Pro Controllers with the mayflash wireless adapter. IMHO the d-pad on the pro controllers are much better and are lighter and the battery feels like it lasts for ever. There are some disadvantages (mainly the way that mayflash implemented their software/drivers) but I can deal with them. Although many people already have 360 controllers, so that could end up being much cheaper, I actually am using both in different situations.

• 2 weeks later...

So i ended up buying a cheap dongle from ebay got this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321202749918?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Works real well, instructions and setup is fiddly but the seller provides instructions so its ok.

Finally got hyperspin configured with xpadder also and my controller, so much easier to navigate.. im so excited...... :D

I have xpadder set up for controlling hyperspin, but I would love for xpadder to exit once entering the emulator, and then start after going back in to Hyperspin after the emulator closes. I also have Steam Big Picture mode running in the background (it starts up with the computer in this mode now) and xpadder interferes with everything else once opened. Is there any way to have it close each time an emulator opens, and then once exiting the emulator have it start back up without going to my desktop?

I have xpadder set up for controlling hyperspin, but I would love for xpadder to exit once entering the emulator, and then start after going back in to Hyperspin after the emulator closes. I also have Steam Big Picture mode running in the background (it starts up with the computer in this mode now) and xpadder interferes with everything else once opened. Is there any way to have it close each time an emulator opens, and then once exiting the emulator have it start back up without going to my desktop?

I think you need to set up a blank profile for the systems giving you problems.

Hey gigapig, when I load DICE emulator my controller profile for DICE loads in xpadder. But when I exit the emulator how can I get xpadder to return to the profile I use to control the hyperspin frontend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey gigapig, when I load DICE emulator my controller profile for DICE loads in xpadder. But when I exit the emulator how can I get xpadder to return to the profile I use to control the hyperspin frontend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand it should load automatically. Perhaps it's caused by the way you exit Dice. What does your log say?

Archived