Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Multi Hyperspins/Multi Systems on Android

brentg

Hi all

I am looking to push the limits of Hyperspin a bit more to fulfill my needs (and most definately others) and have 2 quick questions.....

1.  Is it Possible to have 2 hyperspins on the Shield TV that point to different folders - so I can split my arcade overloaded wheel and consoles/computers wheel.

I did use Tasker to make a quick app that just took different mainmenu.xmls and renamed them before launching hyperspin.  It worked but was messy. Just wanted to be able to create a second instance of Hyperspin and use a second location.

In between question :) - is Hyperspin closed source or is there access to the code at all.  I would love the chance to have sub-wheels added, curved menus or even left placement or horizontal positioning.  Total game count - hehe the list goes on. oh and although I am messing with Symbolic links as we speak - it would be nice to have one wheel art set, one theme folder, one video folder to cover all my Arcade wheels (genres/manufacturers/systems) that all use the same roms/themes/videos and possibly wheel art.

2.  Multi Systems.

pcgame=<supports "true" and "false">

-true - Looks in database.xml for package/class to launch

-false - Launches "exe" intent with "parameter" options

If the Game System.ini file allows the exe and parameters to be set in the database.xml then is it possible to have a sonic collection, best of shmups,etc for example running on android Hyperspin - just setting the game and launch parameters from within the database.xml? thereby allowing different emulators to run from one wheel.

Ramblings over thanks for listening/reading

Brent

:) Then I shall eagerly/hopefully await his reply.  Now I have the retroarch cores pretty much "nailed" down I want a fancy front end to play on hehe

Multi System wise....

<game name="com.farsight.AndroidPinball.javaProject" index="true" image="0">
    <description>Pinball arcade</description>
    <cloneof></cloneof>
    <crc></crc>
    <manufacturer></manufacturer>
    <year></year>
    <genre></genre>
    <rating></rating>
    <enabled>Yes</enabled>
</game>

That works to launch a program from the wheel on  Hyperspin android, so....;I could use it to launch retroarch but how/where/can I insert the parameters to get the specific core to load and then getting the specific ROM launched.  CMD files "might" help

exe = com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
parameters = cores/stella_libretro_android.so

Brent

1 hour ago, brentg said:

That works to launch a program from the wheel on  Hyperspin android, so....;I could use it to launch retroarch but how/where/can I insert the parameters to get the specific core to load and then getting the specific ROM launched.  CMD files "might" help

exe = com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
parameters = cores/stella_libretro_android.so

Yes that does work but I dont think you can match any of the artwork to the game name = tag

There was a chap at retroarch that had the code for launching direct from android launcher. Prob try and track that one down in the forum may help

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, brentg said:

always around @thatman84

Ask away about tasker - it works as a workaround until we get an update or the code is accessible :)

Will have a google / look for Bungles theme

Brent

There you go my friend. He's making quite a bit of progress..a very interesting project :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Tasker profile was more simple than that.  I had 4 Main Menu xmls (all in the Databases/Main Menu folder) .  One was arcade with all the mame, fba, gaelco,  cps 1 etc.  Another was handhelds, another consoles and one just genres for mame.  It did take a fair few extra folders -  all databases for all wheels needed inc. individual genre database folders plus the same for media AND settings_android.

Really want to see if I can get symlink working at all for one folder for all arcade videos, another for all wheels - that would eliminate sooo much un-needed folder duplication.

If you want a smaller sizedversion then leave out the genres; as arcade, console and handheld are just split main menu.xmls really

I named them

main-arcade.xml, main-handheld.xml, main-consoles.xml and mame-genres.xml.

Then in tasker I exported a task to an application (latest-ish version supports apk creation with app factory iirc) that had a nice "gamey" background and 4 large buttons.

The task simply removed the main menu.xml and copied one of the other xmls into its place and launch HyperSpin.  Simple but effective.

Though after reading your bit - I wonder if and how it could be incorporated more "into" HyperSpin rather than before.

Brent

Ah ok so you had a simple interface with the groups arcade,console etc and chose one to launch Hyperspin in that config.

I think I would like to take that one step further and launch it within Hyperspin maybe a separate wheel for the changes. Which will work as maybe the android game database launching the exported apk's. may be a bit klunky.

i didn't get very far with tasker. Hope to get a look at this before Jan but not much time these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still hoping that the code becomes more accessible.  I am sure there are active members in the community that have coding knowledge and would like to try and modify/improve the HyperSpin experience for Android.  If nothing else than at least to bring it close to its PC counterpart.

• Menu Positioning
  • Genres
  • Multiple Emulators from one wheel (Collections for example)
  • Better Directory control (1 Folder for arcade videos, themes,etc. to allow for genres/manuafacturers without huge data duplication)
  • Total Game Count

Let's call it my new year wish ;)

Brent

If you have a Launcher app overlay like I use with Rainmeter in my setup it would be possible to have it launch scripts to close and re-open specific version of hyperspin.

Or even have it open the same version of Hyperspin after it changes main menu database file.

PS. I guess that's also how they do it with the current version that changes the wheel/version etc

I am currently writing some firmware for a medical device and playing around with QT a fair bit.  So its a programming year for me this year :)

Still would be nice to increase the dev base for the android side - especially if Reznnate is a busy bunny.

I will do real soon.

Lol just went Platinum so having a great time sniffing round the FTP :)

That and HyperSync (looking forward to the new HyperLive????) makes it great value for money for those thinking about it.

Brent

Archived