Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Is there a standard process for converting bezel config files from MAME to RL

Jimmi1271

Hey Jimmi.

There is no automatic converting process that I am aware of, but making the RL cfg files for any png image you have is very easy. I am not with my set atm, so I'll tell you by heart; hope I am not too off. 

Open up one of the cfg files from any RL bezel. You will see four coordinates. The first and second ones state the position of the top left corner of the game space. The third and fourth lines specify the X and Y to locate the bottom right corner of the game space. 

If you are not graphic savvy, you could open your desired bezel png in paint, place the mouse on each corner of the game space (top left and bottom right) and in the bottom bar of paint it will tell you the X and Y of your mouse position and you can then fill the cfg file with those numbers.

Hope my explanation was not too confusing :)

So now that I've figured out how to make Bezels show up I have a question. I've found what I think are some cool looking bezels designed for specific games over at EmuMovies (Designed by OrionsAngel) but they were done for MAME and not RL (they have a wrap around cabinet look) and the CFG file was done for MAME. 

Can anyone point me to a stand process for converting the config file so the Bezel can be used within RL? If not, any guidance on how to muddle through it via trial and error would be welcome :)

Cheers ... Jimmi1271

their is no standard practice,

just use a working RL bezel and add you artwork.

the only thing you need to do is update the ini file for the image.

for example I downloaded 

/Official/Bezels/MAME Standard Bezel Pack (MAME)/19yard.zip

this file has 

10_yard_fight_bezel.png

default.lay

the Rocket launcher bezel should have

10_yard_fight_bezel.png

10_yard_fight_bezel.ini

you will need 3 important things

dimensions of your image

size of your video display (red image)

and

video position (blue image)

10_yard_fight_bezel.png.ae77bcae00bebfe73beab1246097a991.png

the lay in the MAME bezel should have most if not all the info you need you just need to create an

INI file 

or convert this

<mamelayout version="2">
	<element name="bezel">
		<image file="10_yard_fight_bezel.png" />
	</element>
	<view name="Upright_Artwork">
		<screen index="0">
			<bounds x="519" y="1107" width="2960" height="2220" />
		</screen>
		<bezel element="bezel">
			<bounds x="0" y="0" width="4000" height="3915" />
		</bezel>
	</view>
</mamelayout>

into this

[General]
Bezel Screen Top Left X Coordinate=29
Bezel Screen Top Left Y Coordinate=0
Bezel Screen Bottom Right X Coordinate=1951
Bezel Screen Bottom Right Y Coordinate=1440

Thank you for taking the time to lay that out. I think I'll actually be able to get that right based on the guidance provided ... and trust me, that's saying something :i_am_so_happy:

I downloaded the MAME Unified bezel pack and was hoping that it would be as easy as just plugging them into the folders, but between multiple bezels, and the images being backgrounds I was getting mixed results. Sometimes they trim the edge of the game screen, sometimes the bezel popped up but no background so I was seeing the RL UI in the background and I would have to toggle through options to get something to fill the screen. I'm sure down the road I'll figure out how it all ties together and configure properly for it. For right now that I just want to create / use bezels that give game specific art to take up the dark space on a 16:9 screen. Don't get me wrong though, the standardization and art involved is amazing and once I get there I'm sure I'll be grateful for all the work done on them .... just a little beyond me at the moment.

Thanks again ...

• 2 weeks later...

I switched back from RA to Mame for OrionAngels bezels alone.

How RA doesn't have functionality yet to auto load bezels per game without configuring each one specifically i'm not sure, but it's a bummer.

@Jimmi1271 Check out the topic over at the RA forums where OrionAngel updates and uploads most frequently, I think I read that a user was looking into converting them for RA so maybe someone has already started this process.

Archived