Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

MAME and catver.ini or equivalent

Avenger

Does Hyperspin support the categories in catver.ini or is there something equivalent available?  I like to keep a full .198 Rom set on my PC and be able to select a list of baseball games or wrestling games for example.  Does Hyperspin provide that degree of filtering?  Thanks.

16 hours ago, Avenger said:

Does Hyperspin support the categories in catver.ini or is there something equivalent available?  I like to keep a full .198 Rom set on my PC and be able to select a list of baseball games or wrestling games for example.  Does Hyperspin provide that degree of filtering?  Thanks.

Search deeper, I see there were some tutorials to create a genre wheel which should work also for mame.  The posts/tutorials are a few years old.  Are they still valid?  They involve using a tool (Don's tool?) to create the list.

Don's filter list and other tools in the 3rd party apps section can export xml lists based on the filters you select.

Genre xmls are created based on the tags in your main mame.xml which could be outdated. Try the official mame xml thread. Phulshof creates bundles of mame xmls of all flavours every release.

The guides are still valid as HS has not changed much for years.

There might be other ways out there but I found romlister works well. 

It supports catver and you can output for Hyperspin friendly xml. Then run it through dons tools with mamelist to add the metadata.

This tutorial for separating for genres for Retroarch has some pretty good info on how to use it and they have done a lot of the hardwork in tidying up and working out what to filter.

I've been through on my own terms gone through and created many custom genres with this program.

Edit - +1 for phulsofs lists if the above is a bit more than what you are looking for.

Archived