Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

WIP: New/First cabinet build.

ZacUSNYR

Lol. I'm glad you all are enjoying our project.

Either Zac, or I have been busy every weekend lately, and we haven't been able to get together to work on this thing.

I know it's been a while, probably a month or two now, but I'm hoping we can get together and work on this some more next weekend. (shooting for 8/6/11).

Believe me, we are just as anxious to get working on this again as you guys are to see some updates.... sorry we've been leaving you all hangin'

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey look a rare update has been spotted lol

So we got together and stared at what we had with the CNC machine and then we basically had to figure out where we left off.

back.jpg

Ohhh yea... we remember. We have 3/4" wood with controls designed for half inch wood.

So we measured out areas we needed to bring down to 1/2". This was really time consuming so we had to do multiple passes with a smaller bit at different depths. We went for the full 1/4" on one pass and found we were tearing the wood a little bit.

shaving1.jpg

shaving2.jpg

shaving3.jpg

Looks good, the thinning up top we haven't cut the holes for the buttons yet.

Next up is the trackball. We wanted this thing flush and for the life of us couldn't figure out how you'd mount it flush, short of mounting it to a piece of metal that was flushed to the wood. So we began that cut out. Hole with a beveled edge for the metal to stay on

trackball1.jpg

trackball2.jpg

trackball3.jpg

The metal plate still needs to be machine for the trackball to fit through and the bolt holes to mout the trackball assembly. Basically, the trackball is mounting to the metal plate, then being dropped through the square hole. We left a lip for the plate to hang on. Same idea as the joystick mounts. Machining the plate and cutting the P1, P2, Esc, and trackball buttons will be the next task. ( hopefully it won't be 3 months from now lol )

Looks good guys!!!! Gotta find a cnc machine on ebay or something!!!! :)

Thanks!

You don't exactly need a CNC milling machine if you have the patience to use a manual milling machine :top:

You can achieve all of the same results, but it just might take a little more time and care to make sure you don't move the table incorrectly while cutting :)

Thanks!

You don't exactly need a CNC milling machine if you have the patience to use a manual milling machine :top:

You can achieve all of the same results, but it just might take a little more time and care to make sure you don't move the table incorrectly while cutting :)

Yeah well between my laziness and lack of patience i think i better make a friend with access to one!!!!:ahhhhh:

• 2 weeks later...

Zac and I worked on the custom trackball mounting plate yesterday.

This is the plastic plate that came with the trackball:

IMG_0886.jpg

This is the aluminum plate we are using for the custom mount:

IMG_0887.jpg

Sizing it up:

IMG_0888.jpg

Had my brother program the hole pattern into the CNC machine and started cutting away :)

IMG_0890.jpg

After cutting out the hole pattern:

IMG_0891.jpg

We counter drilled the holes for the bolts that hold the trackball so that they are flush with the top of the plate.

IMG_0893.jpg

This is what the plate looks like when mounted to the trackball. This plate will sit down in the large square hole that we cut out in the middle of our control panel.

IMG_0894.jpg

We used small washers and nylon lock nuts on the back side of the trackball.

The holes in the trackball were actually a little too small for the bolts we used, so I had to drill the holes out a little bit to compensate.

IMG_0895.jpg

Now we need to drill 6 more button holes in the top of the control panel, get and drill out a piece of plexiglass, build the rest of the control panel box, and wire up buttons :):top:

Hopefully we'll have some more updates for you all soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Ray ended up picking up a VGA-to-S-video converter from monoprice and we messed around with that. Really cleaned up the video and makes the NES look like a real NES. We were both shocked how much better it improved the video. Plus it has controls to resize/move the image around the screen

We messed with that for a little while and then brain stormed the control panel. I'll be 100% honest and say we have no effing clue what we're doing here. So we just winged it :lol

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Ray plowed a couple holes through for the center escape button and the player 1 and 2 buttons on the top. I'm pretty decent with AutoIt and will probably be making a custom menu launched by the red button.

image3.jpeg

Ray had to open up the corners of the recess for the track ball to fit - looks good. This sucker is going to be nearly flush with the plexi glass over it. No screw holes through the plexi :) We had no clue how to mount this thing with the hardware provided so we used our resources to do it the best way we could think of.

Next up with cutting the shape of the control panel. We cut one angle and i'll admit, I butchered it due to a slip of the saw. My heart sank :( We added another cut and it actually added to the shape of the control panel and it was a good save because we both think it looks great.

image4.jpeg

Now we started on the "box" for the control panel. This is way more complicated then we first imagined. But we got it figured out and started cutting/assembling.

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Just need to do the 3 pieces for the front and cut the button to fit. Then we need to figure out where to mount some support to "snap" the control panel into the arcade. Starting to get exciting because we'll be playing this "turd" shortly! Then we need to get the ambition to tear it down and paint/finish it lol

As Zac stated in his update, I originally purchased this USB powered VGA to S-Video adapter for our HS-NES project, but we decided to test it out on the arcade and see if it looked better than coming right from the S-video output on the video card itself.

We were surprised at the results. It actually did make the picture look better after some tweaking. We'll see how it works out with other emulators. So far we only tested it in Windows, in HyperSpin, and in Nestopia. :top:

47241.jpg

-Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get much done today because my garage was torn up. Had to make room for my new toy.

06FXHO.jpg

We boxed in the control panel, found our angle/height (it looks tall but it's on a rolling stand right now)

arcade1.jpeg

Cutting some pieces on the table saw

arcade2.jpeg

I think this goes here? I wish one of us knew math heh

arcade3.jpeg

arcade4.jpeg

arcade5.jpeg

arcade6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived