Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Automatically download emulators (from HyperLaunchHQ / modules?)

lmsilva

This is probably a stupid suggestion but, based on what I saw from RocketLauncher.x and its modules, I think it would be a GREAT addition to actually let modules automatically download emulators.

Let me explain what I mean...

Instead of letting people fight with what module to use and the path to the emulator, why not simply let modules also include information on where to grab the downloads and automatically install them for us?

So the configuration would be simplified even further:

- create a system, populate the games entries

- go to HyperLaunchHQ and assign a module to the system

-- when doing this, you have the option to "accept all defaults"

--- or go into a custom mode (which would pretty much be the same configuration mode we have today)

Thoughts?

Well, but who maintains those modules? Whoever creates them has the option to add the option to download an emulator (or not) and make sure that, after it gets added, it continues being maintained.

If you upgrade, you either continue using the last emulator that was known to work or are given the option to download a new one (if one is available).

Expecting them to keep up with the latest emulator releases is asking waaay too much, sorry.

Unless you are volunteering to program the module, test the module and maintain and test the emulator releases by trolling through emucr.com constantly, it's just not going to happen.

Something like a HyperSync for emulators, but the problem is that every emulator is independent. There's no central repository for emulators and the authors would likely object to having theirs included.

New emulator versions often break something in HyperSpin or become completely incompatible. For example Higan. For MAME and MESS you'd have to download the new roms, chd's and bioses.

That is why I'm saying that the modules would NOT be required to maintain an emulator - that would be up to the developer to decide if they want to do it :) ).

They would just need to specify a download url and an automatic install script (which they would have to ship with the module). If they do not want to include an emulator, they would not be forced to!

Alternatively, separate the emulators from the hyperlaunch modules and just let individuals map their "emulator installer modules" to the existing hyperlaunch modules, specifying what version are they known to work with.

Expecting them to keep up with the latest emulator releases is asking waaay too much, sorry.

Unless you are volunteering to program the module, test the module and maintain and test the emulator releases by trolling through emucr.com constantly, it's just not going to happen.

Many moon ago I did used to use a nifty lil thing I sound online. Basically it was a way to turn steam into a Emu Machine. I believe it was called "Ice" for steam. It was a kind of Git program like what we have for our files. You just had to open the Install Bat file and tell it where to install and where you wanted to put the roms. You then place your files in the folders it makes, click go and it downloads all the emus and setups for you. It was kind of a generic install configed on the side of caution for each emu. What made it so good was that it did all the hard work for you. Even the controls are setup for you 360's!! He also made some of the crazy EMus I could never figure out work no problem :)

All the games were then given a new tab on your Steam Game List. Each console in a new folder with a more advanced version to even download the Media art for the steam tabs. Must say it was very good for early stage of coding. But the idea is there!

Dont know if anyone else had bumped into it. Here I just found it if any ideas could be used from this. The guy uses Python coding and I must admit it works very well!

CLICK ME TO VISIT THE SOURCE SITE

There is much more involved on emulators install than simply clicking on install on it.

We try on every module to have the most of the emulator crucial options set on the module code, however many things still require user intervention. Controls, resolution configs,required windows packages,...

These would need to be automatized to make such thing. Just as an example, not long ago we tried to introduce a new project to define the desirable default emulators controls and one of my plans was to use it to maybe in the future support a centralized way to config these controls, more or less like control config modules in the line that you propose the install modules, but even that had not much traction over here on the forums.

Even if we were able to automatize all those things, we would need to dedicate a insane amount of time for keeping up to date, and I don't see how this could be done if this is not a full day job for us.

Besides, people don't even read their logs to find out the problems that they are having, imagine if they start to think that everything should be running from a simple click on and add system or add emulator button. There is no way to support the infinity of different computer configurations and install process flawless for the emulators on any machine created. Even retail multi million products have problem with that, so you cannot think that a almost three mans job, like HyperLaunch, would be able to do that.

Anyway, all official modules have the website were you can find the tested emulator to download at the beginning of the module. Just read the module info and you will see it.

Besides all that, one of the most important things is that our hobby is only possible because numerous developers dedicated their time to build wonderful emulators. Bypassing their sites would encourage people to not even think about supporting them.

These are the reasons I am against such thing.

All valid points! :o)

Apparently, there's this RoM-Jacket thingie (that marxkemp pointed out):

• Installs and Auto-Configures:

80+ supported consoles, computers and arcade machines
50+ emulators
7 frontends
Full HD backgrounds, high-quality icons, banners and preview videos for all supported consoles.
Localize each ROM's assets and configurations.
Convert ROMs into executables:

Select a game and even an entire library to play instantly from a thumb-drive.
• Uses the roms you have to build a frontend:

• Hyperspin
• Media Browser for Windows Mediacenter
• Cabrio-FE
• Steam
• OblyTile for Windows 8
• Advanced Launcher & Rom Collection Browser for XBMC

• Transforms roms into executables:

• Portable Application runs instantly or installed.

What about integrating HyperLaunch with it in someway? We would basically leverage their features, but simplify the installation through HyperLaunchHQ.

There is much more involved on emulators install than simply clicking on install on it.

We try on every module to have the most of the emulator crucial options set on the module code, however many things still require user intervention. Controls, resolution configs,required windows packages,...

These would need to be automatized to make such thing. Just as an example, not long ago we tried to introduce a new project to define the desirable default emulators controls and one of my plans was to use it to maybe in the future support a centralized way to config these controls, more or less like control config modules in the line that you propose the install modules, but even that had not much traction over here on the forums.

Even if we were able to automatize all those things, we would need to dedicate a insane amount of time for keeping up to date, and I don't see how this could be done if this is not a full day job for us.

Besides, people don't even read their logs to find out the problems that they are having, imagine if they start to think that everything should be running from a simple click on and add system or add emulator button. There is no way to support the infinity of different computer configurations and install process flawless for the emulators on any machine created. Even retail multi million products have problem with that, so you cannot think that a almost three mans job, like HyperLaunch, would be able to do that.

Anyway, all official modules have the website were you can find the tested emulator to download at the beginning of the module. Just read the module info and you will see it.

Besides all that, one of the most important things is that our hobby is only possible because numerous developers dedicated their time to build wonderful emulators. Bypassing their sites would encourage people to not even think about supporting them.

These are the reasons I am against such thing.

What about integrating HyperLaunch with it in someway? We would basically leverage their features, but simplify the installation through HyperLaunchHQ.

That's not going to happen, but feel free to give it a shot yourself and let the rest of us know how you do with it.

Agreed! I love the tinkering way to much then get it all automaticly. i do Love hypersync! and this aint a shocker in this community i even dont play the games to much, but i let my friends come over and join the fun. I always try to keep the configuration that simple so they dont even know what's going on in the background. The I show them a hyperlaunch.log file ;)

Archived