Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

PLEX/Media Theme/Wheel

WeeBeloOo

I've in the process of creating a PLEX theme/wheel in HS. I used thatman84's HS Kodi project as a template. Thanks man. :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to link to the different libraries in PLEX. 

Main Wheel:
PLEX

System Wheel:
Movies
Television
Music
Etc.

I thought I might be able to use QuickShortCutMaker to find the links to each library, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also understand this might not be something that can be done. If not PLEX, maybe this could be accomplished with KODI?

I'm running HS on a NVidia Shield, which I know limits what I can accomplish. If this isn't something I can do, I'll build a Media Wheel, and have PLEX, Spotify, etc listed in the system wheel. 

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it can be done. I'm busy doing Commodore Amiga stuff for Android and PC in what little free time I have BUT I can offer you some advice... 

What I've learned having the STV and Hyperspin for years is. Just because something can be done, often it can prove to be more effort than it's worth! 

Take DOS games for example. Yes you can make a DOS wheel BUT the effort that goes into creating all the config files and creating the game folders etc. for it to work, is a nightmare! 

So I learned to cheat! ;) I use Kodi as a Shield TV dashboard replacement so to speak. I launch Hyperspin from there, I have my media library available obviously, it will do TV from my HD Home run quad tuner box on the network. I even added shortcuts (with custom backgrounds) to it's home screen to cover the "problem systems".

Rather than mess around doing a DOS wheel, I just launch Magic Dosbox from Kodi. The emulator allows you to show box art for the games in it's library. It takes a lot of the aggro out of the equation when setting up the games to run too.

I do have an android wheel for Hyperspin to load games, I suppose I could add other android apps into it but I didn't see the point. I let Kodi do it's job and Hyperspin showcase the games.

I wish you luck with your setup :)

Above is some very solid advice from an experienced shield/hyperspin/media user. I would suggest taking it :)

i do doubt it is possible, i cant see PLEX exposing libraries to a launch intent being you can add custom libraries and library names.

funny you guys mentioned this stuff....i picked up a new NAS, plex sub and HDHomerun Quad tuner over Black Friday so am busy getting all my physical media ripped and organised to try and prise the Sky remote from my Wife's grips, and save some monthy costs! 

4 hours ago, WeeBeloOo said:

Thanks for the great advice! I'll change projects, and get started on a JackBox wheel. :)

No worries. You can watch the video below, it might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

My friend stuffed a Shield TV into a broken old skool NES. I helped him by doing the software side of things. Kodi is themed to give it a nod to Nintendo and custom shortcuts added for DOS and other useful bits and bobs (weather, internet radio, TV etc).

4 hours ago, Bungles said:

Can't Plex servers be accessed via websites? So you could use a specific webhook/link to just use a browser in fullscreen?

I don't know as I don't use Plex. Although I'm pretty positive there is a Kodi add on, to put the Plex libraries into the Kodi library. 

I can understand people wanting a Media wheel on a PC/Cabinet build, which loads Hyperspin when booted. On the Shield TV not so much. 

As I said I launch Hyperspin from Kodi. When I quit Hyperspin I'm back to Kodi and my media etc. It would actually be more effort to find the media wheel, than to just quit Hyperspin. 

I’m with Hono on this, I had the Kodi wheel for about a day. :) the Shield is just setup right already for media browsing. I see Hyperspin as an addition to the set-top box. On a PC it makes more sense to use Hyperspin as the front for other apps imo

each to their own but it is fun trying to get things working

Archived