Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

10 years ago, I added a goal to my bucket list...

songnar

7 minutes ago, gigapig said:

Did you start 10 years ago? :P If it were me and the vinyls completely cover the wood then I wouldn't paint it unless the wood was bad.

Looking forward to seeing your dream finished.

I did! Well, I figured out all the software and picked up a tankstick 10 years ago but only recently got to a point in my life where I could do the real-deal all the way. I have Hyperspin to thank for the inspiration! Now, to figure out why the 'hyperspin' button isn't hyperspinning!

I did.  Primed them grey with actual primer, waited a week for it to gas out, then sanded it glass smooth and wiped it down before putting on the graphics.  You'll end up with a higher quality finished product that way.

FB_IMG_1516963952474.thumb.jpg.418159545d7832933e63a0c2222a3380.jpg

Using black laminate on non-vinyl areas is also a great idea, if you are up to it.  Laminate is the same stuff used on the original machines, and looks flawless.  But it's not the easiest thing to work with, so just stick with paint if you're not used to working with it.

20191002_232545.thumb.jpg.70e9cbb755290d4d2fcc62abac86fea0.jpg

What are your plans for the trackball?  You going to make a plexiglass or lexan cover for the cp?  I did that on my 1st CP and it looked pretty good... 

IMG_20150728_220813132_HDR.thumb.jpg.83b40fe1ff90386254da3d543f88a8b2.jpg

On 10/2/2019 at 10:39 PM, artman999999 said:

I did... 

I'd actually been wondering how best to deal with the trackball; though I figure that I'm going to have to move the monitor back about an inch in the cabinet if I'm going to get the bezel and plastic put in without losing my ever-loving mind.

I've got a local source for all kinds of custom cut plastics and vinyls, though - so a smooth surface applies better, eh? I planned for that possibility. No problem! Thanks!

LOL... I'm almost in the same boat In 2012 I started preparation for a cab. Then on my 40th in 2013 I got the timber to build my coffee table cab. That's a lot of years to dry Iron Bark timber. :D 

If that wood is porous I would prime and paint it. :)

Whelp, I went ahead and cut the arms out of the inside because the monitor was sitting too far forward. It gave me an excuse to use my power tools! Who knew wood glue was so tough!?

Now for the next conundrum - the replacement spinner has a smaller shaft than the original and the nut it came with is just barely too small to keep 'er stable... maybe I can shore it up with an altoids tin on the inside.

I grabbed all Ultimarc gear as I found from a lot of people that the quality was great. The Spinner looks and feels amazing. Can't wait to start drilling holes. :)

PVA Wood Glue is tough when it is between two surfaces but on one surface isn't that bad to remove just not completely on porous surfaces. Liquid Nails is worse. :D Every time I have to remove large areas of glue I have found it best to stop and take a break make myself a coffee and come back again so whatever it was I was pulling apart I didn't smash due to fatigue and "give a damn" factor. ;) 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, artman999999 said:

Thought the knobs were all pretty much the same size...  But don't get Groovygamegear's knobs, though.  The quality is trash.  Their other products seem fine - it's just the knobs.

Learned that one the hard way - I tossed pretty much everything I bought there originally and went Ultimarc. Live and learn! Added bonus, extra LED controllers on the IO board. Loving the knob I got there after I shored my hole up with an altoids tin; and the trackball glows like an absolute dream. I'm at the 'make it pretty' stage now... considering how I might build a custom stand for the barcade cabinet, too. I do have an old, broken-down minifridge that's about the right height...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Okay, so life went off the rails for a bit but long-story short, I tried to add some LED joysticks and found out they were too long for the barcade... so I went back to square one and built a full size cabinet. 

It's nearly done!

Wot I learned - I like LEP1's cabinet ideas and most of the construction therein BUT they are in the habit of sending self-tapping screws that are meant for very thin metal and not for the wood in an arcade machine... soooo, I used my own screws, added some nails and glue here and there and it's a much better product. :D

117316302_998618277219083_8670132367439352661_n.jpg

Archived