Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

HyperSpin 1.5.1 Not Working after Windows 10 Patch

tgenerotzke

My machine was in storage for over a year due to a recent move and when I powered it back on, Windows did its critical updates.  On 5/15/21 it installed Win 10 Pro patch 20H2.  Since that time, I cannot get HyperSpin to run  no matter what I do.  This happened to me before.  The last time there was a patch that a user shared with me.  I am hoping for the same.  Thanks

Thank you both for the advice

I will give those ideas a shot. I have my machine set to download updates but not install them but this must have been a critical update that overrides that. 

Every time I see an update install its pucker time! :)

• Like 1

Windows updates has become a plague, everytime the thing is updated something stopped working. I install new windows versions only when the support cease, infact I updated to 2004 this week. I was asked to uninstall virtualbox and the system uninstalled cpu-z. No problem at all, after the update I installed the new versions of virtualbox and cpu-z but just think to a place where virtualbox is used ro run old software and there are no people who knows how to fix the thing...

On the HTPC I just installed W10 LTSC, 10 years of security updates without version change 😛

• 3 weeks later...

i updated to windows 10 21H1, added the dll file and made sure hyperspin is allowed in windows defender and i still cant get it to work. any more suggestions? if i cant get this to work im rolling back to windows 7

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I had set H/S up for a friend of mine on a win 7 system pouring hours and hours into making it look nice. Then the HDD failed. I only have access to win 10 and now h/s won't even open. I've tried uninstall/reinstall, moving things around, I've pasted the .DLL into the root I've even tried using 1.3 again but nothing works. HyperHq does open but it looks pretty messed up. I've looked at launchbox but I don't really like it. Any advice? .... Edit..... I'm currently trying the 32bit version of Windows 10.. will update. 

You guys are lifesavers! I purposefully have my arcade computer offline to avoid Windows updates because I figured "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Everything had worked fine, so I let it be. Last week Windows crashed on me (stupid blue screen of death), I had no choice but to re-install Windows and any new updates that came with it. Sure enough, Hyperspin would not open. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never figured it out. THANK YOU x1,000,000 😆

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1709 on my cab.

So HS 1.51 wiin 10 fix was the last time I updated mine and I've kept it offline since. Came here to see if it was safe to reconnect online as all my Steam games no longer load, but looks like forced Windows updates will possibly destroy it again eh?

Probably safer to disable my PC game wheels instead and leave it that way forever. Ha!

• 6 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 8:03 AM, kneetzstopz said:

i updated to windows 10 21H1, added the dll file and made sure hyperspin is allowed in windows defender and i still cant get it to work. any more suggestions?

These fixes have been rolling for years, mostly when Windows 10 was released with its subsequent updates. The .dll fix doesn't seem to work for everyone and there's the Defender issue, which is probably the main reason why most users have been facing issues starting the frontend. Since HS also relies on flash, which has been discontinued for years, it could be one of the reasons why it's flagged as a potential risk, but I'm not a developer, thus, I'm not sure.

As for suggestions, depending on how you use your PC, if it's dedicated to gaming, you can either install a Windows version that won't update, and will only receive important security updates, or make it offline entirely, deactivating or making sure the anti-virus won't block its functionality.
Is Hyperspin your only option? Have you tried another frontend, which is currently supported? I know there are many free options that have modern features, making it much easier to setup your systems.

Hyperspin's and its community's heyday ended in 2018 at best, many talented people came and went their ways, it's a legacy and in my view, many other frontends owe a great deal to it, thousands of logos, box arts, databases, and Emumovies is a branch of Hyperspin and vice-versa, which feeds even more other frontends media overall.

If, for some reason, you decide to stick to Hyperspin, make sure you understand that its development ceased for many years and these fixes may or may not work forever.
Let's face it, it's old, it runs at 1024x768, closed source and it's not like there aren't modern options.
RocketLauncher development also ceased, few users are keeping modules working.

I see how keeping Hyperspin working makes sense for very old users which has a working HS setup and put a lot of effort on it, however, any newer users are advised that your mileage will be way easier and more comfortable with a current, more modern option, that won't alarm your anti-virus and won't need fixes to work on current OSes.

• Super Like 1

Update: 8/2/23

I installed Hyperspin 1.51 on a Surface Pro with Windows 11 with latest updates up to 8/2/2023 and worked as well.

I just downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Hyperspin 1.5.1  on Windows 10  Pro 22H2 and worked without any issues. See picture below.

image.thumb.png.e3fe2822489d11abce12b674a626cb43.png

Things to try:

1. Right click on  "Hyperspin.exe" and select "Run as Administrator".

2. DIsable your antivirus temporarily. 

3. Download a fresh copy of Hyperspin ad install it on a separate drive to test.  That way we rule out Hyperspin as the issue.  Don't forget to copy the sxs.dll file inside the Hyperspin folder.

image.thumb.png.8bfae11d4e9b22873a354f09cbab256a.png

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...