Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperpin no longer works with the last Nvidia Shield Update

fred33

11 minutes ago, CHIPPOSHIVA said:

Yep but a lot of my themes have swf, why these themes particulary crash, and it's for reznnate as he ask what was working before and not now with beta

Remove the swf files from one of the games and test to see if its the issue, or just delete the theme altogether and use the default themes (that's if you actually want to play the games) ?

Keep in mind this does not work like the PC version as this is android and many things that work on PC won't work on NVS and never have.

27 minutes ago, Creezz67 said:

Remove the swf files from one of the games and test to see if its the issue, or just delete the theme altogether and use the default themes (that's if you actually want to play the games) ?

Keep in mind this does not work like the PC version as this is android and many things that work on PC won't work on NVS and never have.

Yes that's what i've already do, as i say in previous post without swf it works, i know some thiings don't work like swf wheel etc but before the new beta hyperspin won't crash with these themes so i inform reznnate as he ask the regression with the beta, it may be related with some new library

11 minutes ago, CHIPPOSHIVA said:

Yes that's what i've already do, as i say in previous post without swf it works, i know some thiings don't work like swf wheel etc but before the new beta hyperspin won't crash with these themes so i inform reznnate as he ask the regression with the beta, it may be related with some new library

swf files have never worked on NVS so this is therefore NOT a regression, as some themes have always crashed with SWF files in them. That's just how it is. Reznnate will not be fixing that. All we want for now is for it to get back to what it was previously, he is not going to dedicate his life to getting everything working like the PC version, because if it could then it would have been done already. Simplest way to avoid crashes is to just use default.zip for every system and keep your themes for the PC version, or go through and remove SWF files everytime one crashes.

5 hours ago, Creezz67 said:

swf files have never worked on NVS so this is therefore NOT a regression, as some themes have always crashed with SWF files in them. That's just how it is. Reznnate will not be fixing that. All we want for now is for it to get back to what it was previously, he is not going to dedicate his life to getting everything working like the PC version, because if it could then it would have been done already. Simplest way to avoid crashes is to just use default.zip for every system and keep your themes for the PC version, or go through and remove SWF files everytime one crashes.

Euh ok, sorry, i'm sure it was not crashing HS before but you're right it was never working before but not crashing. i don't want to dedicate the life of nobody, reassure you, sorry to disturb you

It be like that sometimes....sometimes it plays the swf themes other times it crashes......been like that since the 2015 shield.....its best to not use swf for android......thats one of the reasons I changed up my whole theme to a more universal setup...between swf themes and not every system having box art and cart art....I changed all my default themes to a metallic background with metallic wheels , the system title all changed to a metallic color and just the game wheels and game videos are showing

So, rather than sit here and not have Hyperspin working with any of my stand-alone emulators, I decided to try the approach some others have suggested and downloaded Bandit's "No Clutter" build (which, btw, is pretty impressive).

Fortunately, I can confirm it DOES work with the beta Hyperspin version shared here, and works well! That is... if you're using Retroarch. Mostly. Since it's a bit confusing, I decided I should start cataloguing what works and what does (at least in that build)...

Works:

• Any core launched via Retroarch (special 1.8 build for Bandit)... that includes Flycast with the updated ini file, PSXre-armed, MAME2010, Nestopia UE, SNES9x, mGBA, etc.
  • Dolphin standalone DOES work, somehow! 

Does NOT work: 

• Mupen64PLUS FZ standalone (same "invalid emulator" error as everyone else has shown here).
  • Yaba Sanshiro 2.2 standalone (same "invalid emulator" error).
  • PPSSPP standalone ("not a valid disc image" error in emulator itself).

Interestingly, I CAN open and run these same, standalone emulators via ArcBrowser using the SAF templates. So, that seems to be the common theme (though why or how retroarch and Dolphin still work is beyond me). 

For now, the "easiest" workaround would seem to be sticking with Retroarch cores. I haven't spent time fiddling with Bandit's ini files to try to get Hyperspin pointing to a Retroarch core (for, say, Mupen64 instead of the standalone version), but that might be the simplest path to a fully-functional Hyperspin, at the moment. 

Hi, for me, my configuration is now 95% working with android 11.

I just changed all my standalone emulators with retroarch core.

I am using retroarch 1.77 32 bit for most of my systems and retroarch + for ppsspp (because it don't work with retroach 1.77) and for the tic-80.

Problems : i used to use mame4droid before and my arcade romset was fully compatible with mame4droid, now i use mame_current core with retoarch and some game are no longer compatible.

I was about to ask for the same thing!

I did find the list of cores here. However, I'm also a novice when it comes to the Android side of things, so I'm not sure if it's just the per-system ini files that need to be changed in order to use only Retroarch cores, or if there's something additional (I'm using Bandit, too). 

EDIT: I DID find some of the cores are listed in the "docs" folder of Bandit's build in the "Technical Setup" doc included with the download: 

This is a list of tested emulators and their working ini config settings. 

Retroarch - Various emulators 
 exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
 parameters=<choose one of the emulator cores like below>

Examples of retroarch core parameters
Atari 2600 core:
 parameters=cores/stella_libretro_android.so
PSX core:
 parameters=cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro_neon_android.so

libretro cores:
 4do_libretro_android.so
 bsnes_mercury_performance_libretro_android.so
 bsnes_performance_libretro_android.so
 catsfc_libretro_android.so
 desmume_libretro_android.so
 dinothawr_libretro_android.so
 dosbox_libretro_android.so
 fb_alpha_libretro_android.so
 fceumm_libretro_android.so
 fmsx_libretro_android.so
 gambatte_libretro_android.so
 genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so
 gpsp_libretro_android.so
 handy_libretro_android.so
 mame_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_lynx_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_ngp_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_pce_fast_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_pcfx_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_psx_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_supergrafx_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_vb_libretro_android.so
 mednafen_wswan_libretro_android.so
 mass_libretro_android.so
 meteor_libretro_android.so
 mupen64plus_libretro_android.so
 nestopia_libretro_android.so
 nxengine_libretro_android.so
 o2em_libretro_android.so
 pcsx_rearmed_libretro_android.so
 picodrive_libretro_android.so
 ppsspp_libretro_android.so
 prboom_libretro_android.so
 prosystem_libretro_android.so
 snes9x_libretro_android.so
 snes9x_next_libretro_android.so
 stella_libretro_android.so
 tgbdual_libretro_android.so
 ume_libretro_android.so
 vba_next_libretro_android.so
 vbam_libretro_android.so
 vecx_libretro_android.so
 virtualjaguar_libretro_android.so
 yabause_libretro_android.so

HOWEVER... I tried switching to the Retroarch versions of Mupen64Plus and PPSSPP using the core values above and updating the ini files after downloading the core in Retroarch... but neither worked.  :(  I'm using the Retroarch v.1.8.8 version Bandit recommended due its MAME2010 compatibility, but I'm wondering if it's gimped on some other emulators. I can't even get this version of Retroarch to index the PSP files, let alone play them. Ugh. 

If hyperspin developpers don't have time or don't know how to do this android mod apk update.

So yes why don't ask help to others interesting developpers, or just paid some developpers for do the job.

I think the hyperspin community can give some money for do this update and many people would be happy for a new working hyperspin version.

It's an idea, but please do something, don't let hyperspin die.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kuedas said:

If hyperspin developpers don't have time or don't know how to do this android 11 update.

So yes why don't ask help to others interesting developpers, or just paid some developpers for do the job.

I think the hyperspin community can give some money for do this update and many people would be happy for a new working hyperspin version.

It's an idea, but please do something, don't let hyperspin die.

It's working !

mostly...

so far, it's working great with retroArch.

I'm still working on my config files, but I know how to do it now. I'm using the latest 64bit binary from their website (1.10.3) and downloading cores as needed. Just need to find the best cores for each category.

1 hour ago, frenchy2k1 said:

mostly...

so far, it's working great with retroArch.

I'm still working on my config files, but I know how to do it now. I'm using the latest 64bit binary from their website (1.10.3) and downloading cores as needed. Just need to find the best cores for each category.

I've literally been doing the exact, same thing today! I have the latest RetroArch 64-bit (1.10 from their website, as you noted), and changed all the ini files to point to the right exe. 

So far, it's MOSTLY working with Hyperspin to just launch everything through Retroarch (to avoid the SAF issues), but even then, that's problematic because something things don't seem to work in Retroarch (!)...

• N64 doesn't work with the built-in Mupen cores. Since it won't run in Retroarch and just crashes, Hyperspin loads a black screen, then backs out.
  • Saturn doesn't work with the built-in Yaba Sanshiro core, either. Same black screen in Retroarch (crashing), then HS backs out.
  • Gamecube doesn't work with the built-in Dolphin core, either. I've pretty well tried all the "fixes" (Sys file in Dolphin-emu, etc.), but it appears the built-in Android version is just broken in Retroarch... others seem to have the same issue in forum posts I've seen. BUT... this is the one standalone emulator that works with Hyperspin outside of Retroarch, so that remains a valid workaround.

All total then, N64 (Mupen) and Saturn (Sanshiro) are the two emulators for which there doesn't appear to be any way to get them to work with Hyperspin. I haven't tried other systems outside of the Bandit build, but figured I'd start there as a common point of reference. 

If someone is aware of a way to get N64 and Saturn to play nice with Hyperspin, we might be in business!

On 8/2/2022 at 10:16 AM, moondefer said:

@Spacman

for me dolphin don't work, can you said what dolphin version you use please and parameters

@fred33 said than yaba sanshiro don't work, you said than yaba sanshiro work ? same here, what version and parameters ?

I missed this earlier, but @moondefer and I seem to have the same questions/problems regarding Dolphin and Sanshiro not working (and I think we can add Mupen to that list). It would be great if we could get @spacman's settings for Dolphin in Retroarch.

That said, I'm not sure it matters... since I can't get Sanshiro (or Mupen or Dolphin) to run in Retroarch to begin with, I don't expect them to be doing anything in Hyperspin. So, here again, without the standalone versions working--OR if Spacman or Fred33 have a legit way of making them work in Retroarch--versions with SAF seem to be the best option for these.

Hey Guys,

I managed to get everything working on my Nvidia Shield Pro, the only thing is external programs like standalone PPSPP does not work at all with this build, but Drastic and Dolphin works and Mupen does not work, i am using the latest nightly retroarch (probably 32-bit) and make sure you update all the cores, if it helps here are .ini configs:

N64

parameters=cores/mupen64plus_next_gles3_libretro_android.so
romextension=n64,z64,Z64,N64

PSP

romextension=cso,iso
parameters=cores/ppsspp_libretro_android.so

Nintendo DS

exe=com.dsemu.drastic/com.dsemu.drastic.DraSticActivity
romextension=nds,zip,7z
parameters=GAMEPATH

Gamecube, WII

exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.ui.main.MainActivity
romextension=gcz,iso
parameters=AutoStartFile

If you need any other cores let me know, i have about 3 TB working so far, i have Daphne working but with no sound...

Regards,

I see people here making the switch to RetroArch for this new version of HyperSpin, that's good as I feel RetroArch is one of the best all in one ways to play these retro games. I see people having trouble on RetroArch with the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 cores, I'll try to help out the best I can. Mind you I'm still on 8.2.3 on my Shield and will not update it to 9 until I know for sure HyperSpin works again at the least but first thing's first, for Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 use the Yaba Sanshiro and Mupen64Plus-Next GLES3 cores, the Parallel N64 core use to be good but is now outdated so it's not recommended. For the other Sega Saturn cores Yabuse does work kind of but it's also really old and outdated and the best Saturn core Beetle Saturn is the most accurate but the Shield simply isn't beefy enough to handle it so it runs slow as hell ( I wish it worked). Next, those two cores (Yaba and Mupen) only work fast on the Shield in GL mode so make sure your driver in the settings options is set to "gl" and not vulkan, use vulkan for all other systems though.

Next I'll point out that the Yaba Sanshiro core has not been updated in almost 2 years or more, it's still stuck on the old 3.4.2 version and the mod that runs that core refuses to update it for reasons he stated on the libretro forums you can find if you do a search there.

For N64 after you load up a game I recommend you go into the core options, there you'll see a few settings, one named RDP Plugin and RSP Plugin. Leave RDP Plugin on the GlideN64 settings and leave RSP Plugin on the HLE setting. Most people would recommend changing both of those settings to Parallel which is suppose to give you better speed but for some reason on the Shield it does the exact opposite and slows games down so I don't use it and it has not been addressed yet.

Anyway go into the GlideN64 settings and change all these settings I'm about to list below to give you a better and closer to accurate gaming experience:

4:3 Resolution - 320x240

Bilinear filtering mode - 3point

Dithering - On

MSAA level - 8

Copy auxiliary buffers to RDRAM - On

Background Mode - Stripped

Continuous texrect coords - Force

Native res. 2D texrects - Optimized

Less accurate blending mode - Off

GPU shader depth write - On

Anything not mentioned you can leave as is.

For Yaba Sanshiro I recommend using chd files over the bin/cue format, for some reason when I used bin/cue I had problems with bgm tracks not looping properly and playing bgm from whole different parts of the game instead of the intended stage bgm, that all stopped when I switched over to the chd format.

If both the Yaba and Mupen cores crash for you before even loading up try going into into your folder program and the RetroArch/Config and then go into both the Mupen or Yaba folder and then open up the cfg file and look and type in "video_driver = "gl" then save it, that way way even if your video driver setting is set to vulkan those two cores will always start in gl automatically for you. Also make sure you're using the latest version of RetroArch and not some old outdated version, a lot of problems happen because a user is using an old version of RetroArch.

Dolphin stopped working on Android RetroArch for almost 3 years now as well so your only choice is the stand alone emulator for that. I'm sure some of you know PS2 now works on the Shield and I posted the parameters needed in the ps2 settings thread to get that up and running on here as well.

Finally this one is a little off topic but for those now switching to RetroArch and would like to apply a filter/shader I made some nice looking shader presets you can use to get that old school crt look. I made a shader pack that only works with the vulkan driver and then I put together a gl shader preset you can also use specifically with the Yaba and Mupen cores in gl mode that you can check out here:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/please-show-off-what-crt-shaders-can-do/19193/4855?u=sonkun

and here:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/a-new-little-shader-i-did-glsl/36028/114?u=sonkun

Another benefit to switching over to RetroArch is you can use overlay bezels to fill in the black spaces on the side of the screen to get your games looking like this:

https://ibb.co/C7Ry3x5

https://ibb.co/9TbRDB1

Any other questions and I'll try to help out the best I can. I can't wait until everything is sorted out and we all can use HyperSpin again new and improved again.

@sonkun - Thank you so much for the advice! Unfortunately, though I have a fair amount of experience with emulators in general (and Hyperspin on PC), I'm pretty new to both Retroarch and Android, and I'm having trouble doing even the most basic things you suggest...

• I could only find a broad video output option for GL/Vulkan in the Settings->Video->Output in Retroarch, and I assume that applies across cores. How do I locate individual core settings, so I don't have to change them across-the-board to GL? In my Retroarch->config folder, the per-system files are all in an .opt file format, not cfg. Is there a way to do a per-system video driver change through the Retroarch UI itself, or are you seeing a folder I'm not?
  • Similarly, for Yaba Sanshiro, I couldn't even get it to run (at all). I changed the video driver to GL in the general settings (couldn't find the cfg file, as noted above), and even with the "entire" system set to GL, all the bioses in place, etc., Yaba wouldn't launch. Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm running Retroarch 1.10.3 on Android 9, for whatever it's worth. 

On 8/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, oyehia said:

parameters=cores/mupen64plus_next_gles3_libretro_android.so

Thanks, @oyehia! That parameter was exactly what I needed to get Mupen64 working... I didn't have the "gles3" part, since Bandit's build was put in place before there were different Mupen versions. But that did the trick! And with @sonkun's further tweaks, N64 seems to be running brilliantly! 

So, for me, I've got almost everything from Bandit's build now launchable from Hyperspin in some form, and everything is launching from Retroarch, except for Dolphin and Sanshiro. 

Edited by pmindemann
Edited to include Yaba Sanshiro in the list of emulators that work with Hyperspin, but not via Retroarch.

16 hours ago, fred33 said:

If you are on android 9 why you don't use yaba san shiro stand alone

Perfectly valid question. I guess I'm just stubbornly trying to use Retroarch for everything. But, there's kind of a method to that madness...

For me, it comes down to trying to create a more unified, consistent approach. For example, I first wanted to go standalone only... it was how I used ArcBrowser and, while it was a pain to setup, it worked well enough. Also, on principle, I was against using Retroarch, and I thought standalones would perform better. However, after playing around with Retroarch more, I began to like the fact that the entry/exit of every emulator was consistent, as was the setup. And I liked that I didn't need to independently manage so many apps. I discovered Retroarch could be setup using runahead and some other approaches to have even less latency than original hardware, which standalone emulators couldn't do. But most of all, I found out that Hyperspin worked with Retroarch almost exclusively (Dolphin and Sanshiro, excepting), so it all started to make sense for me to just switch everything to Retroarch and simplify my approach. 

All of which to say... it sucks that we don't have the option for both. If SAF could be sorted, I think we'd be in good shape. Until then, Retroarch seems like the way to go for 95% of the emulators we'd want to use with Hyperspin. And for the others, it looks like a couple standalones still work. So... we have ways to get around things, but it certainly won't win over any new users. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and for sharing the ini file for Yaba Sanshiro. For me, the exe was wrong, but here's the one that DID work (and launches correctly from Hyperspin), in case anyone else attempts the same thing: 

exe=org.uoyabause.uranus/org.uoyabause.android.Yabause

On 8/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, pmindemann said:

@sonkun - Thank you so much for the advice! Unfortunately, though I have a fair amount of experience with emulators in general (and Hyperspin on PC), I'm pretty new to both Retroarch and Android, and I'm having trouble doing even the most basic things you suggest...

• I could only find a broad video output option for GL/Vulkan in the Settings->Video->Output in Retroarch, and I assume that applies across cores. How do I locate individual core settings, so I don't have to change them across-the-board to GL? In my Retroarch->config folder, the per-system files are all in an .opt file format, not cfg. Is there a way to do a per-system video driver change through the Retroarch UI itself, or are you seeing a folder I'm not?
  • Similarly, for Yaba Sanshiro, I couldn't even get it to run (at all). I changed the video driver to GL in the general settings (couldn't find the cfg file, as noted above), and even with the "entire" system set to GL, all the bioses in place, etc., Yaba wouldn't launch. Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm running Retroarch 1.10.3 on Android 9, for whatever it's worth. 

Yes, whichever driver output you set it to will save across all cores after you exit and re enter RetroArch, I suggest setting it to vulkan for everything use gl for just mupen64plus gles3 and yaba sanshiro (Assuming you're playing on Shield TV. If you're playing on a newer phone then I suggest using the more accurate Beetle Saturn core and maybe try mupen using both the parallel plugins which those two cores should also be played using the vulkan driver instead of gl.). I'm not sure why you have system.opt files, I only have system.cfg files and game.opt files depending on if I tweak and save a specific game option in the core options. What are in your system.opt?

To get to individual core settings you first have to start up any game in any core then head into the quick menu and go down to core options, but that's not how you would set a individual core to just use gl while the others use vulkan etc. To set a individual core to gl while your global setup is on vulkan load up any game, go to the quick menu/main menu/settings/drivers/set it to gl/settings/quick menu again/overrides/save core overrides. After saving I suggest going back to to quick menu and then hit close content to ensure that your settings have been saved properly then go down and hit quit retroarch. Saving a override is also how you create a system cfg in the config folder as well. Now when you load up that system again it will always play in gl driver mode even though your global driver is set to vulkan.

For yaba sanshiro, does it not work only when you run a game from hyperspin or it also doesn't work through retroarch alone? If it's through hyperspin try using this:

parameters=cores/yabasanshiro_libretro_android.so

If that doesn't work let's confirm that it's finding your bios when you load the core so go into retroarch and load up the yaba sanshiro core then go down to information/core information then look at where it says Firmware, the only bios you need is that saturn_bios.bin file, if it says the word Present that means it sees your bios file, if it says Missing then that could be your reason for the crash. If it sees your bios file and it still crashes maybe you have a bad bios which I could help get you a better one through a pm only.

Let me know how things go.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:38 AM, pmindemann said:

It would be great if we could get @spacman's settings for Dolphin in Retroarch.

Hey guys,

sorry for not answering, i didn't get any notification about this thread.
I packed every folder from bandits no clutter collection inside a zip (of course except for the roms and media).
I use exactly these emulators from the emulator folder, and everything works besides mupen and ppsspp.

Dolphin works as standalone, i'm not using the retroarch core.
I'm completely new to the emulation world so i'm not a good helper at all, sorry :D
-> Hyperspin_files