Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperspin 2 ?

yoann

Do you think it possible that one day a new version of hyperspin will see the light of day?

The forum is practically abandoned, only a few die-hards continue to use this front end.

I really afraid that it stays abandoned. What do you think ?

So little of what we do is reliant on Hyperspin itself. There are endless ways to customize the appearance and tricks to change the behavior.

Most advancements are from Rocketlauncher or emulators. I don't feel like there is a limitation to what I can add to my Hyperspin setup. Sure, things break and I have to troubleshoot often when expanding but it's never the fault of Hyperspin itself, only the applications I try to launch.

What feature would you want added?

• Like 1

I’m still here “sometimes” but most everyone has moved over to Launchbox. It would be nice to be able to use Hyperspin without all the add ons to make it work. I think controller support would be a big one   I also know sometimes Hyperspin doesn’t close so you can’t run it again until you go into task manager and manually close it. I currently have an old Hyperspin using hyperlaunch on my old arcade with a crt monitor and it runs solid with no problems but I don’t use a controller for it. Definitely more stable than the newer version. I will be trying Launchbox on my next build. 

You are right about proper joystick support for Hyperspin menu. I've been using JoytoKey to control Hyperspin for so long that I didn't even think of that.

Hyperspin is basically just a scrolling menu that accesses Rocketlauncher. It's an attractive menu that is impressively versatile but it's inexcusable that it needs outside applications to use joystick or controllers.

First of all thank you for answering me, I'm not alone :)

Indeed I also find that hyperspin is great but above all the presentation philosophy that inspired (copied) the other frontends is super nice.

However, I would really like there to be a small update to correct the biggest problems. I'm talking of course about the controller but also about the display which could adapt to the size of our screen like 16/9 without having to go through tricks.

In addition, finding the right image ratio is very complicated, sometimes even impossible, not to mention that most of the time the resolution of the box art is very low and once on the screen the rendering is sometimes blurred. I compared between bigbox and hyperspin we really see the difference it is unfortunately much less clear.

Have a utility called hyperArt :) for example which would allow as launchbox to manage the media. So yes there is a community tool via excel but it is in 2022.

For newcomers, a hyperHQ v2 which would replace rocketlauncher in an intuitive and simplified version.

But I have the impression that the brilliant team that created hyperspin has deserted...

In short, I keep hope

• Super Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, yoann said:

Indeed I also find that hyperspin is great but above all the presentation philosophy that inspired (copied) the other frontends is super nice.

However, I would really like there to be a small update to correct the biggest problems. I'm talking of course about the controller but also about the display which could adapt to the size of our screen like 16/9 without having to go through tricks.

In addition, finding the right image ratio is very complicated, sometimes even impossible, not to mention that most of the time the resolution of the box art is very low and once on the screen the rendering is sometimes blurred. I compared between bigbox and hyperspin we really see the difference it is unfortunately much less clear.

Have a utility called hyperArt :) for example which would allow as launchbox to manage the media. So yes there is a community tool via excel but it is in 2022.

For newcomers, a hyperHQ v2 which would replace rocketlauncher in an intuitive and simplified version.

But I have the impression that the brilliant team that created hyperspin has deserted...

In short, I keep hope

Hello, I am also hopeful, in the meantime you can make your arts appear in swf and in high quality, using adobe animate you can export a swf movie that hyperspin will interpret correctly, you just have to create a new project of the measurements of your rte and dump a higher resolution art and adjust it to the measurements of your art, in properties choose not to compress the image and export file as swf, you will get a sharp image in hyperspin. The user Arcade 4 fun on youtube has a video that he taught me how to do it and the quality is really appreciated.

The ideal is what you say, but in the meantime the images can be improved by converting them to swf (you have to have original files with a larger pixel size than the png used now for this to be appreciated)
Greetings and luck

On 9/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, yoann said:

In short, I keep hope

Trust me, with 1080p resources inside a .swf you can have pretty crisp images in HS and do crazy stuff (for the video select 1080p 60fps in YT preferences) :)

But yeah, joypad input is completely broken lol

1283446930_hstest.thumb.png.5c0149a5ec5a7f667476f8fae9d2f7dc.png

That looks pretty awesome. Launchbox is my front end these days, but HyperSpin is still very powerful if you do a lot of tweaking under the hood. I’d love to see it make a comeback with a refined, simplified RocketLauncher integrated directly into it. To this day I still think HS/RL is a stronger option as a 4:3 arcade front end. RL handles fade/bezels better in my opinion too. It’s just a more seamless experience compared to Launchbox. 

That said, the lack of support and considerably greater investment of time required to get a build up and running is what kills it for me. 

5 hours ago, Tribe Fan said:

That looks pretty awesome. Launchbox is my front end these days, but HyperSpin is still very powerful if you do a lot of tweaking under the hood. I’d love to see it make a comeback with a refined, simplified RocketLauncher integrated directly into it. To this day I still think HS/RL is a stronger option as a 4:3 arcade front end. RL handles fade/bezels better in my opinion too. It’s just a more seamless experience compared to Launchbox. 

That said, the lack of support and considerably greater investment of time required to get a build up and running is what kills it for me. 

HS has pros and cons. The biggest pro is Flash and the biggest con is... well, Flash 😂

BBB created a very versatile thing in terms of skinning and you can run code in swf to add features. On the other side performance is erratic and it needs lots of cpu power and has memory leaking problem (well, that is not more a problem, a potato pc these days has 8gb). To be precise that skin uses 1.2gb of ram, the classic HS main menu uses 90mb lol.

Honestly I don't think HS2 will happens, it should be build from the ground. Many staff member told me that actually there's a HS2 alpha but probably BBB stopped working on the thing as Flash was already dying some years ago and it is not suited for 1080p, let alone 4k. The fact is really simple: HS is highly customizable and really easy to use once configured. I had friends completely get lost in Kodi but no one has problems with HS...

• Like 2

It really is versatile and once you understand how everything works, the possibilities really are limitless in spite of all the handicaps you mentioned. I guess for me it comes down to the time investment and my willingness to put up with a lot of out of the box thinking/third party solutions to get things to work right. It bugs me that I can take a step away from HS for a few months, come back, and completely forget how I was able to get some aspect of the front end to work the way I wanted. 😂

Launchbox definitely has its flaws, but they’re actively improving it. Things just work and I don’t have that nagging fear that something might break like I did with HyperSpin.

That said, if I ever were to mod a 4:3 cab, I probably would use HyperSpin for the front end.

• 2 months later...

I have a love/hate feeling with Hyperspin, on the one hand I love the freedom it offers to create new themes, skins and incorporating new functionalities through Autohotkey scripts and using Action Script through swf files, but on the other hand, when I have all under control, I see that when launching it on Hyperspin, as dark13 rightly says, the results are not as expected and sometimes you go crazy to solve something that is already working.

I also believe that most of the current Hyperspin users do not play the games but rather enjoy improving their front end 😁

At the moment Launchbox is the one that is being updated... but honestly I prefer Hyperspin.

• Like 3
  • Super Like 2

• 4 months later...