Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nudging options

northvibe

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sidewinder freestyle pro i think has only two axis which are from nudge detector.

so nudging should work out of the box. just stick the gamepad firmly to your cab.

for plunger I'm not sure what is in the code. You can check the code before you buy it.

there is some wheel that rascal tried to use for plunger but i'm not sure if this worked.

Nudging is what I'm after more than anything, so that would work for me. I'll see what else is in the code and see if I can find a pad that'll do all of it - but really, I'll ignore the plunger stuff for now anyway, since I have a Launch Ball button only on my cabinet and it requires fiddling with the table code to make work.

Thanks again, Blur.

Nudging and iPac...

I am going to pick up the Microsoft sidewinder and have some questions for you gurus.

What key stroke(s) do I need to map to my iPac for nudging to work.

For example I think the keys are a, z, x for the various nudging directions.

Or does it work via USB connect to xpadder?

I will be using a simple button for the plunger so nothing special to consider there.

Nudging and iPac...

I am going to pick up the Microsoft sidewinder and have some questions for you gurus.

I will be using a simple button for the plunger so nothing special to consider there.

The ipac has nothing to do with nudging unless you have nudge buttons. The Sidewinder works by configuring XPadder to send keypress events whenever the accelerometer shows movement beyond whatever threshold you set in Xpadder. The game pad is connected to the PC using USB.

Nudging and iPac...

Default nudging with the keyboard is Z for left, / for right, and space for up.

hit me too mr. Darkfall! :D

My gamepad is allready mounted and hungry!

But it's mounted upsidedown, so left and right is reversed.

Maybe a special version for me then! ;)

wee!

So it turns out that the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro support is already in 9.12. Just make sure the PBW Accelerometer box is checked in the table options and you'll be good to go. (possibly after some tweaking of the various settings)

It would be nice if there were a global setting as well as a per-table setting, but oh well. I'm too dumb with Win32 to even make a checkbox.

legtod you have thousnads of posts on pbw here and on vpf

gustav you have three main settings for pbw:

enable accelerator

normal position

rotation

so you can always set any position to work for you combining flipping (normal position) and rotation

I just returned from Ottawa today and picked up a Logitech F310 gamepad on the way home from the airport. I fired up the custom build of Visual Pinball and played with the analog nudge. It works amazingly well!

I'm psyched about putting it in the cabinet with some weight on the stick to better pick up on the nudging motion, so I can see how well it works in a live situation. Looks very promising, though!

great job man :beer:

good luck with testing

just be sure to set accelerometer checkbox on in every table you use

if you don't set accelerometer then nudge will work like digital nudge - only three directions - left, right and front with fixed strength

if you set accelerometer check box you can have any direction and strength

how to test it - for people that don't know what to expect from nudge:

when you do front nudge - ball should go toward you ie down - not up - this is little secret that nobody of vp/fp programmers knows about - even black has done front nudge wrong in fp

when you bump table from the right corner - diagonally at 45 degrees - ball should go toward your hand - which is again down - not up

when you bump from right to left - horizontally - ball should go from left to right

direction can also be anything in between

strength should be small or big - it should depend on strength of your nudge

just be sure to set accelerometer checkbox on in every table you use

If you're already compiling your own, it's much easier to comment out two lines and force PBW support on for all tables. ;)

Not that it makes a terribly large amount of sense for the setting to be per-table anyway. (I can understand wanting different parameters per-table, but the overall setting?)

I agree.

I plan to put three main settings on key config window and into the registry:

enable acceler.

normal mount

rotation

maybe even gain and other values since they all depend more on your device then on exact table

that's why i don't go so much in detail with code fixes.

If you're asking about my tests with the game pad and the modified VP, it appears to work great - but I haven't had time to install the game pad in my cabinet and try it in a real-world situation.

It does, indeed, behave in an analog way, though - small joystick movements result in small nudges, and the nudges occur in whatever direction the stick is moved. It looks very promising.

I ordered a U-HID G for testing next to the gamepad idea. I'm marginally skeptical of accelerometers, but if it works as promised, then it'll be way easier to implement and calibrate. If nothing else, it'll be fun to play with, even if it doesn't end up in the cabinet. I'm sure I can stick this thing in something else and have fun with it, if it doesn't do what I want for the cabinet.

The board also allows you to assign the Z axis to a pin (instead of the accelerometer - at least, I think that it does, anyway), so you can grab a potentiometer from your favorite electronics store, fire 5 volts through it to the U-HID board, and connect that potentiometer to your plunger via an arm (like Rawd did in his test video), and you have an analog plunger, too. I will be messing with that idea to see how well it works. If it does work as planned, then this would be easier to set up than trying to get one of the analog sticks on a gamepad relocated near the plunger (or sticking the whole gamepad near the plunger).

I imagine it'll be a few days getting here, so I'll continue to screw around with the gamepad in the meantime, as time permits.

Thanks for reminding me about the U-HID G, legtod2. I remember seeing it and thinking, "Hmmmm - cool", then forgot about it and got pretty into the gamepad thing. Might as well test both *grin*.

Darkfall,

I've had good luck with the products ordered from ultrimarc, I expect nothing less from the accelerometer.

There is a sdk kit for it and third party software. I expect mine to arrive today or tomorrow. I need to figure out where to mount it, direction to mount, how to config and calibrate, integrate to vp .

Yup, like you said fun.

For gamepad - you can put it under the plunger so that your z axis is inline with plunger (gamepad rotated for 90 degrees clockwise).

Then for nudge you just set flip and rotation so that you can nudge correctly.

Gamepad will not be upside down - but i think it could work for nudge if you don't add to much weight on it. Cause gamepad sticks have some strong springs that should be able to return weight to center after nudge. Of course putting gamepad upside down with large ball like weight and very soft springs would be better for nudging but then you need to relocate z axis for plunger.

What gamepad did you used? All my gamepads are ps2 like gamepads which need press on analog button to activate analog sticks. It would be better if you have some gamepad that is automatically in analog mode (xbox 360 maybe?).

About uhid - I'm not sure if it is analog or not? Last time I checked vp source only analog devices supported were pbw and ultracade. For uhid people used xpadder to convert movement to nudge keys - which is digital not analog nudge (always same strength and angle).

Archived