Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nudging options

northvibe

Think its analog, at least thats the claim.

I have one and it emulates a mouse perfectly, you can add 8 buttons to it with a shift function as well.

If I have enough hight in my cab then I will try it, but think it is unlikly as it`s a bit cramped already, thats why I was hoping the UHID would work.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried using the freestyle pro in conjunction with the Nanotech? I've been fighting with calibration for this nanotech for a while without a lot of success. However, I've used the sidewinder in a different pin with good success. So, I'd like to retain the digital plunger from the nanotech, but use the nudging capability of the sidewinder.

Anyone tried this or have thoughts on it?

I managed to get nudging AND tilting to work with the Nanotech board the other day so I thought I would share my experience...

First I tried calibrating the board by shaking the hell out of it so it wouldn't show any drifting on the calibration screen. Then I jacked up the Accelerometer Gain to something like 20.5 on all my tables so I could nudge. Worked great, but then I noticed that I could never tilt. Ever.

Then I tried a gentile rolling of the board to calibrate it. That worked better, so I could lower the accel gain to single digits, but it still was too hard to tilt.

Finally, I tried what I read not to do to calibrate it, which was to actually shove the table around (with the board mounted). Since I have wood floors and some nice oak pin foot covers, my table can move around pretty well without scarring the floor.

So I mounted the board, went into calibration and did some quick left, right, forward and back nudges to the table. Then I moved the accel gain back to 1.5, incresed the DeadZone to 5 and upped the vpmNudge.Sensitivity to 10. Now it tilts more like a real machine.

• 3 weeks later...
So it turns out that the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro support is already in 9.12. Just make sure the PBW Accelerometer box is checked in the table options and you'll be good to go. (possibly after some tweaking of the various settings)

It would be nice if there were a global setting as well as a per-table setting, but oh well. I'm too dumb with Win32 to even make a checkbox.

I installed my MS side winder last night I thought it was working good. After play a few games it was making the ball come down the play field at an angle. How did you level it? What settings did you change other than PBW Accelerometer box checked to get it dialed in.

does any body have compiled optimized version of vp with support for any gamepad (my hack from this thread)?

I have one version - not optimized - it is around 3MB instead of 1.5 MB of official version and it probably has some non approved code that was in the source when i downloaded last version of source tree. It runs little bit slower then official version.

I can upload it to media fire if someone wants to test it, but would prefer if someone did my hack on clean official last version and did optimized (striped) compile.

Does any body have it?

Just a warning for any one that runs it - any gamepad will act as pinball wizard - that means your buttons will be hardcoded for pbw arrangement and your x and y axis will be nudge axis and z will be plunger axis. So all buttons that you use must be like in pbw scheme or unused in pbw scheme and mapped with xpadder to some key on keyboard.

This is pbw mapping:

FP use            VP use            Button position
Button 1    Digital Plunger   same              Front side, by the plunger
Button 2    Right Flipper     same              First on right side
Button 3    Right 2nd Flipper same              Second on right side
Button 4    Change Camera     Volume Down       First yellow button
Button 5    Toggle HUD        Volume Up         Second yellow button
Button 6    Look at Backbox   -                 Third yellow button
Button 7    Pause             same              Fourth yellow button
Button 8    Exit Table        Exit after 3 sec  Top center
Button 9    Start Game        same              Front side, on the left
Button 10   Left Flipper      same              First on left side
Button 11   Left 2nd Flipper  same              Second on left side
Button 12   Insert Coin 1     same              First red button
Button 13   Insert Coin 2     same              Second red button
Button 14   Test              -                 Third red button
Button 15   Service           -                 Fourth red button
Button 16   I think this key is not connected and not used for anything

i compil Visual Pinball with your hack

For now it seems to work great

TAKE CARE

If you use a gamepad , there's no accelerometer thinks to disable it in option table

I'm using a ps2 gamepad i'll try this week to replace original pot with a slide pot

for the plunger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I've been reading for a few days, trying to implement an analog plunger into my cabinet. I've read many forums from you Blur, Rawd, Rascal, Noah ,etc but I can't get it to work.

I am interested in getting vp to work with my mouse...and then as a fall back, buy a gamepad for the joystick. I've seen peoples mouse rigs so it would seem that it is possible.

I am using program called PPJOY which creates virtual joysticks from keyboard or mouse inputs. In my windows 7 game controllers list I see it - "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 2". Using xpadder I can see that it is picking up my mouses X Y and Z movements. I have made several different compile attempts but nothing seems to be working. I'm hoping it is just something I'm missing. I've even tried editing the OEM name in the registry from "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 2" to "PinballWizard" to see if I could possibly fake vp into recognizing my mouse...no good.

One thing I noticed is that the source code is not different than you had originally listed Blur.

This section of code now looks like:

if (hr == S_OK)

{

if (!WzSzStrCmp(dstr.wsz, "PinballWizard"))

{

uShockDevice = e_JoyCnt; // remember uShock

uShockType = USHOCKTYPE_PBWIZARD; //set type 1 = PinballWizard

}

if (!WzSzStrCmp(dstr.wsz, "UltraCade Pinball"))

...etc etc

I've tried doing this:

if (hr == S_OK)

{

}

{

if (!WzSzStrCmp(dstr.wsz, "PinballWizard"))

{

...etc etc

I've also tried adding this:

if (!WzSzStrCmp(dstr.wsz, "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 2"))

{

}

I have tested on several different tables, the latest being JP's Pirates. Can someone please help me understand what I am missing?

Does anyone know where I can get the compiled version that Blur was mentioning? I have the UHID-G working great with FP and would love to have analog nudging with VP as well. I see the "how-to" in this tread, but I am clueless about coding.

Also, this is my first post on this forum. Thanks everyone for all the knowledge! I'll soon be adding a build thread here and at vpforums for a Black Knight cab with a 42" LED!

Does anyone know where I can get the compiled version that Blur was mentioning? I have the UHID-G working great with FP and would love to have analog nudging with VP as well. I see the "how-to" in this tread, but I am clueless about coding.

Also, this is my first post on this forum. Thanks everyone for all the knowledge! I'll soon be adding a build thread here and at vpforums for a Black Knight cab with a 42" LED!

I'd be glad to send you and blur a copy as soon as I can get it working (confirm it is properly implemented), as it appears the code has changed a little. I'm definately no coder either. Just know enough to be dangerous ;)

Hello All,

I've been reading for a few days, trying to implement an analog plunger into my cabinet. I've read many forums from you Blur, Rawd, Rascal, Noah ,etc but I can't get it to work.

I am interested in getting vp to work with my mouse...and then as a fall back, buy a gamepad for the joystick. I've seen peoples mouse rigs so it would seem that it is possible.

I am using program called PPJOY which creates virtual joysticks from keyboard or mouse inputs. In my windows 7 game controllers list I see it - "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 2". Using xpadder I can see that it is picking up my mouses X Y and Z movements. I have made several different compile attempts but nothing seems to be working. I'm hoping it is just something I'm missing. I've even tried editing the OEM name in the registry from "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 2" to "PinballWizard" to see if I could possibly fake vp into recognizing my mouse...no good.

I have tested on several different tables, the latest being JP's Pirates. Can someone please help me understand what I am missing?

do you get clean compile?

if you do, exe is probably ok

but for nudge and plunger to work, nudge has to be x and y axis of joystick and plunger is z axis

name of joystick is not important

is your mouse movement transfered as z axis?

for ps2 style gamepad z axis would be horizontal axis of right stick

you also have to enable plunger in every table

do you get clean compile?

if you do, exe is probably ok

but for nudge and plunger to work, nudge has to be x and y axis of joystick and plunger is z axis

name of joystick is not important

is your mouse movement transfered as z axis?

you also have to enable plunger in every table

Hi Blur, thank you very much for your response.

I clean between compiles and it states they are successful. I can also run the exe's without any errors.

Using Xpadder - in the controller properties I can see that- X and Y are the movement of the mouse, the mouse scroll regulates the Z axis, and the 3 bottons.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by enabling the plunger in each table. For - example - in JP's pirates - I checked "enable mechanical plunger" for the plunger, "PBW accelerometer" under table physics - and in the script I do see this:

'PinWizard Plunger script

'Turn on the Plunger timer if analog plunger is detected

Dim AnPlNewPos, AnPlOldPos

AnPlNewPos = 0:AnPlOldPos = 0

If Plunger.MotionDevice> 0 Then

Plunger.TimerEnabled = 1

End If

Sub Plunger_Timer()

If Plunger.MotionDevice> 0 Then

Plungers(AnPlOldPos).WidthBottom = 0:Plungers(AnPlOldPos).WidthTop = 0

AnPlNewPos = Plunger.Position \ 2

Plungers(PNewPos).WidthBottom = 25:Plungers(PNewPos).WidthTop = 25 'change to the width of the ramps

PRefresh.State = ABS(PRefresh.state -1)

AnPlOldPos = AnPlNewPos

End If

End Sub

This coupled with the statement made by JP that he has been implementing the PBW plunger in his tables for a while now.

Thanks for your help!

enable mechanical plunger enables analog plunger

and some of the scripts from noah's thread

enable pbw accelerometer enables nudge, together with rotate and flip options, and with sensitivity

do you get any reaction from plunger or nudge?

enable mechanical plunger enables analog plunger

and some of the scripts from noah's thread

enable pbw accelerometer enables nudge, together with rotate and flip options, and with sensitivity

do you get any reaction from plunger or nudge?

I've compiled a few different configurations to try.

I havn't had alot of time to play or fine tune it, but I was able to get my logitech gamepad to work. plunger and nudge seem to work. I do have a problem that the enter key will move the plunger images and the joystick does not (the functionality still works, the plunger image simply doesn't move/animate) - if you have some experience with this, I'd be glad to hear...

*Update - I removed all the stacked (p1-p12 plunger images and simply made the plunger visible - It doesnt look quite as good...)

The mouse, I am unable to get working at all - no nudge or plunger - though I know windows, xpadder, fp etc recognize it as a joystick and can track it's xyz axis.

I'm thinking perhaps that VP simply can't recognize the virtual joysticks driver..??

Blur, are you using a gamepad? I've seen optical mouse rigs out there, do you know if they got them working? If so, perhaps you might know how they did it.

I think if I must, I will canabalize a good and working gamepad but I think it would be advantageous for the entire community if we could get this to work via a mouse.

At the end of this, I want to compile all information I have gathered across the forums into a user friendly step by step/guide people can follow to get this to work for them. No nock to the nanotech, but it's a great addition that I think can be had for much less money if people are so inclined.

I am offering a $25 paypal reward to assist me in getting nudging to work on my virtual pinball cabinet.

I will purchase items such as ms sidewinder or nanotech mot-lon boards whatever.

I just want to get nudging to work on my machine. The key is a working solution

Archived