Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LED-wiz alternative ?

pixelmagic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the code.. not the first time I say this but making code open source is the only way to make thinks better for all of us! Just look at VP and all the progress it made since it was release open source!

As for the vp events problems.. I'm about to open up VP and VPM and implement it directly into the software. I've already compiled the code in my VS2010 Express (that was quite an feat lol). The only problem is that I've not touch C++ since school 10 years ago, and code look like a mess with almost no comments..

Wouldn't be great to have a "Force Feedback" checkbox directly in VP with a choice to select either LedWiz or Arduino, and be able so bind the events directly in the object properties in the VP table editor? lol..!

Hi Gyom,

agreed, hence why the code is not just open source but totally free - do what you want with it (improve it, install it, sell it - don't care!)

Sounds like you got a bit of a climb ahead of you - let us know how you get on. If you want to share the VS2010 express project and install dependencies here, i am sure a few people would appreciate it - i looked at it, even though me and VS are old friends (rather than enemies!) it looked a right state to get it to the point where they would compile(!) so a step by step guide would be useful - and i am an old c and c++ developer used to hacking around com.

cheers

Shifters

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

So I am in the process of getting the toys together for my first build off, I wanted to see what my options are and the cost factor and just reading this entire thread about the LedWiz and Arduino as an alternative. While I like the Arduino I do not think it a worthy contender as an alternative so I google search the net and low and behold I believe I have found a real alternative. The price may be a con vs a pro, but this little friend has 64 outputs and pmw controllable, I sent in a tech support ticket to these guys and they said this will work when they compare the spec's of the LedWiz. Just a little re-coding and it should work hmmm, time to get this thread kicking again. Maybe Mr. Silver or some here can tell us that, I plan on buying if some can confirm this would work and possible expanding LedWiz config file for all these outputs. And it supports multiple programming languages all the info is on the Link, Ok here is the link to the Phidget Led 64

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1032

Cheers

Hello All,

So I am in the process of getting the toys together for my first build off, I wanted to see what my options are and the cost factor and just reading this entire thread about the LedWiz and Arduino as an alternative. While I like the Arduino I do not think it a worthy contender as an alternative so I google search the net and low and behold I believe I have found a real alternative. The price may be a con vs a pro, but this little friend has 64 outputs and pmw controllable, I sent in a tech support ticket to these guys and they said this will work when they compare the spec's of the LedWiz. Just a little re-coding and it should work hmmm, time to get this thread kicking again. Maybe Mr. Silver or some here can tell us that, I plan on buying if some can confirm this would work and possible expanding LedWiz config file for all these outputs. And it supports multiple programming languages all the info is on the Link, Ok here is the link to the Phidget Led 64

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1032

Cheers

I'm no expert, but the phidget seems to be limited to 80ma per output. The ledwiz can output 500ma per output. This would mean the common flasher RGB leds (which are 350ma) can only be used on the phidget when combined with an extension board (like zebulons booster-board), which adds more $ to the price.........

Hi Taz,

one of the reasons that Pixel and myself arrived independently at the arduino as a device to use is 1) its very well supported and not likely to disappear after a 6 month production run 2) porting from mega 128 to 256 to due is easy when updated devices are released 3) there is more than one source as the arduino is an open platform, the cheap chinese made copies (all legal!) seem to work as well as the official boards (i have both) 4) its cheap.

Wowter is correct however, the arduino only outputs 50ma (i think) and requires extra driver boards too - but then for a lot of stuff 500mA does not cut it any way - motors, led strips etc.

The arduino approach has proved the concept and is intended for 1) me to have fun coding!!! 2) support 200+ devices (200 per board - multiple boards already supported in cascade mode) which is easy with leds, e.g. under cab, flipper buttons, leds around the screen/playfield/topper etc 3) intelligent control e.g. set min and max pwm for individual devices, max on times to prevent heat/device burn out, silent mode with a click to disable sound e.g. motors/contacts at night etc etc i.e. its an intelligent build not just a dumb on/off (no offence to ledwiz!!) 4) open platform with a future so parts available for a long period of time.

The project is not not dead - indeed 95% of it is fitted to my cab now - but we need pixel back for the hardware and to motivate me to finish the software and look at direct output from VP to arduino without vbs in the way.

However at the end of the day, you pay your money and take your choices. The cost side of things doesn't really matter than much, having spent 100's to 1000's on the cab build, screens, PC etc then an extra few £/$ is not really relevant (IMO)!

The project is not dead just resting - pixel only works on it during the autumn/winter!

regards

Shifters

nice to hear from you shifters. From your post i take it that you have spoken to pixelmagic? because he has not made a (public) appearance all winter, and it is finally summer again in the Netherlands....

I was just thinking...

When you use digital LED's with a WS2801 chip you only need two ports on the Arduino Uno for controlling 100 individual RGB leds.

This could give a spectacular light show, or even ambilight function using adalight.

Hmmm...:hmmmm:

• 1 year later...