Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

mess bios retro arch problem

sonicboom88

So I was able to rename the mess config for custom settings finally. They have to be named with the mess naming convention to work so instead of "Atari 5200.cfg" I had to rename it to "a5200.cfg". Hope that makes sense

Yes it makes sense. So in the case of Atari 5200, for instance, you renamed mess_libretro.dll.cfg in RetroArch\config to a5200.cfg and RetroArch read that first?

If so that's exactly the info I've been looking for.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I did. I tested to make sure by removing all other mess_libretro.cfg files and launching. Worked like a charm

Thanks for the info; this solves my problem of not being able to set overlays for multiple systems that use the same core.

Now to think about this strategically... I think I should set all the controls in the main MESS config once, and then make copies of the config and rename them to the respective systems. Should save some time.

Thanks baddeolv!

So I was able to rename the mess config for custom settings finally. They have to be named with the mess naming convention to work so instead of "Atari 5200.cfg" I had to rename it to "a5200.cfg". Hope that makes sense

So will that save controll configs? For instance i was doing colecovision couldnt map 1 key to start game had to press l2 to change settings there all was good untill i quit the game and started again and it looses settings.

OHHHHHH. It all begins to take shape. This post probably just saved me a few hours of grief, and I'm not sure I'd have ever thought to do that. Thanks!

So will that save controll configs? For instance i was doing colecovision couldnt map 1 key to start game had to press l2 to change settings there all was good untill i quit the game and started again and it looses settings.

Yes. Save new config and rename it to whatever mess calls colecovision

I think he may have been referring to the retroarch core info. Unrelated to hyperlaunch. :)

Yes exactly, I was referring to the core info, just a few more words could have saved loads of time.

As I've been MIA, is it worth collecting config files in an ftp folder to save time, not just for my lazy drunken ass of course?

I must report back that this doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm trying to configure Amstrad GX4000, which uses the name "gx4000" according to MESS: http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/system.php?machine=gx4000

I renamed mess_libretro.dll.cfg to gx4000.cfg. RetroArch doesn't use gx4000.cfg when launching a game in HLHQ, it instead creates a new mess_libretro.dll.cfg and uses that.

Any idea why it's not working for me?

Yup, I've got that turned on. I was able to generate mess_libretro.cfg when I chose "Save config" in RetroArch. So now I have that config file. I tried renaming it to gx4000.cfg, and it ignored it; when I closed RetroArch it made mess_libretro.dll.cfg. So now I'm stumped...

What do you mean it ignored it? And I believe that the mess_libretro.dll.cfg is left alone.

I mean that RetroArch ignored gx4000.cfg and didn't load it. It just read the contents of mess_libretro.dll.cfg.

Thanks for the help though... I guess we need to wait for Jay to weigh in on this one :P

So what's different in this Zerojay version?

Read up where I mention changing the one option to let MESS boot from command line, which is what fixed my problems. There's nothing really "different," he just posted his entire RetroArch folder so we could see why his was the only one that working. :P

His settings seem to make everything work nicely. :)

There is something different. His core-config file is in the directory with Retroarch.exe. Mine is in my configs folder. I wonder if he uses the "stable beta" build. I'm using the nightly. but, honestly, it isn't important enough for me to care. I'm going to keep his install until 1.1 comes out.

Archived