Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

mess bios retro arch problem

sonicboom88

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I got the core to work with gx4000. BUT, for some reason when I try to rename the config file it won't run correct. As long as it's named "mess_libretro.cfg" and mess_libretro.dll.cfg it works fine. Not sure if this can be module related or not

Ok, I got the core to work with gx4000. BUT, for some reason when I try to rename the config file it won't run correct. As long as it's named "mess_libretro.cfg" and mess_libretro.dll.cfg it works fine. Not sure if this can be module related or not

I'm not sure why it is you are trying to rename them...?

I found out what it is.

In retroarch-core-options.cfg, you need to set the following:

mess_boot_from_cli = "enabled"

Mine was set to disabled. Once I did that, GX4000 started working for me. Hope this solves it for others, too!

Thanks again Jay for providing the correct config files!

I got Zero's version to work! It will launch through Hyperspin but not the GUI. (I'm chalking this up to some kind of user error I'm making because of impatience.)

I still, however, cannot get my version of RetroArch to launch a game using the mess core. CLI was already enabled in my core configs file. At any rate, I consider it a victory and a BIG thank you to Zero. I won't be able to update the guide because at this point I'm flustered and still don't know what the hell is going on, but I'll get around to finding out soon enough. For now, I have a bunch of settings for a bunch of systems to fucks with.

Oh, and you have to rename your config files to match hyperlaunch naming to have hyperlaunch automatically launch them, Zero. Or so the module said. This may seem superfluous, (it certainly gave me a headache) but now with Mess its especially important if you want different settings for different systems that use the same core.

Again, thanks to everyone involved.

Oh' date=' and you have to rename your config files to match hyperlaunch naming to have hyperlaunch automatically launch them, Zero. Or so the module said. This may seem superfluous, (it certainly gave me a headache) but now with Mess its especially important if you want different settings for different systems that use the same core.

Again, thanks to everyone involved.[/quote']

Tried that too. No dice

I'm unwell for a few days and I come back to this! So it appears time travel is possible thanks to Jay and his little wizards. I haven't tried it yet (still a bit Uncle Dick) but look forward to it, I too thought pointing to the bios folder was the correct thing to do and what's with the cores notes; why so vague?

So what was the problem? And how can i change controls for colecavision?

Read up a bit and you'll see that there was a line in one of my config files that I had to change :)

To set controls for a system, press F1 when the game is running, then go to Settings > Input Options > and scroll down where you will see the controls. In RetroArch, when navigating the menus the default button for "Enter" is x, and "Back" is z.

Ok...so what if for example I used the Stella core from Retroarch and used Mess as an alternate emu for the Atari 2600. Would it be possible to just use two different cores from Retroarch for one system instead? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Well, in HLHQ there's a tab under "Games" called "Alternate Emulators." I haven't tested it, but if you click the + button, it allows you to select a specific game title and then associate an emulator to it. Try that out and see how it works for you.

Well, in HLHQ there's a tab under "Games" called "Alternate Emulators." I haven't tested it, but if you click the + button, it allows you to select a specific game title and then associate an emulator to it. Try that out and see how it works for you.

I know, that's how I currently have it setup. But that's with 2 different emulators. My question was how to use one emulator (Retroarch) but use 2 different cores (Stella and Mess) for the same system.

I know, that's how I currently have it setup. But that's with 2 different emulators. My question was how to use one emulator (Retroarch) but use 2 different cores (Stella and Mess) for the same system.

Oh, okay... the way you wrote it you said you wanted to use MESS as an alternate emu, not an alternate core. I misunderstood because MESS is its own emulator in itself :)

Ok...so what if for example I used the Stella core from Retroarch and used Mess as an alternate emu for the Atari 2600. Would it be possible to just use two different cores from Retroarch for one system instead? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I think its possible though a little complicated. This is untested, purely hypothetical but.... I THINK that the retroarch.cfg itself has a line which tells it which core to launch when you launch it... this is crucial. You will need two installs of Retroarch. The first install, use everything normally, make your HL named config files etc and just leave it be. Use this one for mess core.

On this second install of Retroarch (different directory) do not save any configs at all. Minimal so all you need is the stella core. In the retroarch.cfg, see if you can set it to autolaunch the stella core. If you can, then just set up a second global emulator listing for retroarch and name it something different. I already did this for zero's version of retroarch, I called it Messtroarch, but then changed it to ZeroArch, haha. Anyway, once all that is set up, you should be able to set up this second retroarch install (which will hopefully automatically launch the stella core) as an alternate 2600 emulator.

Again, this is all theoretical, but that's how I would try to do it.

What's with the cores notes; why so vague?

Just hasn't been gotten to yet as there's been so much work going on with the RA module in so many different ways. Don't worry, it'll happen.

...but then changed it to ZeroArch, haha.

I like that.

Just hasn't been gotten to yet as there's been so much work going on with the RA module in so many different ways. Don't worry, it'll happen.

I like that.

I think he may have been referring to the retroarch core info. Unrelated to hyperlaunch. :)

Archived