Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

mess bios retro arch problem

sonicboom88

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the system name based on the AHK for RA. So if you are running the MESS core, then use the system it is loading via hash. I know this is going to sound weird, but I've had MESS working for ages but can't get my MAME to run straight into the game. It boots to GUI still. I think I need to check the CLI options for it again but failing that I have no idea what the issue is.

So if you are running the MESS core, then use the system it is loading via hash.

I don't understand what you mean by this...?

Are you saying if I want to use per-system cfgs, I should rename them to how the system is named in RetroArch.ahk?

Therefore, the file should be config\Amstrad GX4000.cfg?

I think I figured it out...

If I make Amstrad GX4000.cfg in \config, RetroArch will load this config when I launch a GX4000 game. You need to make sure that in this config file that save config on exit is set to OFF. I suggest editing it in a notepad editor instead of RetroArch in case it tries to save a new mess_libretro.dll.cfg, which it will then use as the default.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I've had MESS working for ages but can't get my MAME to run straight into the game.

DrMaxwell. ZeroJay's build was ALSO the first time I got mame to run in RA. I had the same problem you did. As of now though, besides being a completionist, I'm definitely going to stick with mame proper. The HLSL settings I have are actually better than any shader combination I could find. In fact, a lot of the normal shaders (IE supereagle) don't seem to do anything at all when using the RA mame core.

That worked. Now I noticed that once you add an anti-aliasing filter, Mess games slow to a crawl. Guess I'll just have to use the ctr-geom-curved filter on it's own without advanced-aa.

Thanks for the help.

Ya I have the same problem there. I used the crtgeomcurved with scanlines.

Anyone have the MESS chd versions of Neo Geo CD titles working with the MESS core in RetroArch? I'm getting a lot of driver errors, while every other system using the MESS core is loading games fine...

Check out this post:http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?68414-How-to-make-A-CHD-out-of-Bin.Cue-Toc-images-for-use-with-MESS-emulator

Also seriously besides for the point of just having a unified emulator for almost all systems up until Dreamcast, is there ANY profit to using MESS in RA compared to normal MESS? I mean I use normal MESS right now and everything is working and I do not want to muck things up for the sake of unity. Plus using Gigapig's HLSL goodies from the FTP IMO give a more real CRT/TV like experience compared to RA's filters.

Check out this post:http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?68414-How-to-make-A-CHD-out-of-Bin.Cue-Toc-images-for-use-with-MESS-emulator

Also seriously besides for the point of just having a unified emulator for almost all systems up until Dreamcast, is there ANY profit to using MESS in RA compared to normal MESS? I mean I use normal MESS right now and everything is working and I do not want to muck things up for the sake of unity. Plus using Gigapig's HLSL goodies from the FTP IMO give a more real CRT/TV like experience compared to RA's filters.

One of the other reasons I wanted to use MESS in RA is because I couldn't find a way to set a key for save/load state without MESS prompting me for which save/load slot to use. Maybe there's a way to do this, but I haven't found it? It means needing a keyboard to press "1" each time. It should be able to auto-save/load to slot 1. Otherwise, it's just nice to have one emulator for almost all your systems. :)

Forgive me for not being familiar with HLSL, but... what is HLSL? :P

One of the other reasons I wanted to use MESS in RA is because I couldn't find a way to set a key for save/load state without MESS prompting me for which save/load slot to use. Maybe there's a way to do this, but I haven't found it? It means needing a keyboard to press "1" each time. It should be able to auto-save/load to slot 1. Otherwise, it's just nice to have one emulator for almost all your systems. :)

Forgive me for not being familiar with HLSL, but... what is HLSL? :P

HLSL is MAME's/MESS's/UME's shader system. It is very in depth though but with the correct settings you could really get a convincing optical illusion of an old CRT monitor. I'm using a preset from Gigapigs folder that actually gives your screen the fishbowl glare where areas while RA Only gives you the screen curvature.

I was actually so blown away by it that I god rid of my 16:9 monitor in my cab and bought the biggest 4:3 lcd flatscreen monitor I could find just to really get it the closest I could without the big bulky switch to an actual CRT monitor.

Not to mention the built up voltage enough to kill a person that's in a real CRT scares the shit outta me.

Not to mention the built up voltage enough to kill a person that's in a real CRT scares the shit outta me.

I used to use a crt. Got "bit" probably 3 times. I know it has potential to kill you, but I think it's a rarity. (Though it's enough to make a grown man shit his pants. I came close a couple times, lol)

I was actually so blown away by it that I god rid of my 16:9 monitor in my cab and bought the biggest 4:3 lcd flatscreen monitor I could find just to really get it the closest I could without the big bulky switch to an actual CRT monitor.

Wow, I'm truly honored you feel that way and glad. I feel the same about hearing Hyperspeech for the first time in your cab video. Hyperspin would not be the same without it.

If I had mess already set up, I wouldn't bother with RA mess either. I've had very little luck with the alchemy that has gone on here. I manged to get Astrocade to work on my own install of RA and ColeCo on Jay's version. Looking through his install was a total mystery though , I've no idea how anything works :)

Archived