Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

mess bios retro arch problem

sonicboom88

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. Getting Mess core to work in RetroArch requires hash files and softlists, or it did at one point as per the tutorials I could find, there's also a post somewhere in which the guy was using batch files, and then some people seem to think all you have to do is point HL to the bios folder. It's quite a mess. Get it? A mess?

I do hope someone sheds some light on it though.

Good luck. I too have been asking in a few places:

http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2749

http://www.hyperlaunch.net/forum/showthread.php?251-RetroArch-Module&p=4951&viewfull=1#post4951

Having the "hash" files in [system]\mess\hash doesn't seem to work.

What's most frustrating is that it seems that user zerojay at the HyperLaunch forums has it working, but doesn't seem inclined to share his config or any files... *shrugs*

I really want to get this working too so I can use the new features of RetroArch - such as overlays! Nosh has been working on some awesome-looking new overlays.

Trying to work with 2 systems, 1 complicated (mess) the other (complicated because of the first complication RA) then add the lack of documentation which normal people can follow, well you may as well attempt time travel.

My suggestion is to try MESS on its own, which is still a turd, in fact finding a turd and asking it to for a game on the old Bally Astrocade may also be simpler :P Controls can be set in the same way as in mame I think.

My suggestion is to try MESS on its own, which is still a turd, in fact finding a turd and asking it to for a game on the old Bally Astrocade may also be simpler :P Controls can be set in the same way as in mame I think.

MESS itself is actually not that bad of a system - it's what I'm using right now. I was just getting excited what with the recent advances to the RetroArch module, that I could even further consolidate the number of different emus I'm using. That and the new RetroArch will have overlay support and Nosh is making some nice bezels. :D

just tried ouside of hlhq and get this error

RetroArch [WARN] :: gfx_shader_resolve_parameters :: [CGP/GLSLP]: Parameter AA_R

ESOLUTION_X is set in the preset, but no shader uses this parameter, ignoring.

RetroArch [WARN] :: gfx_shader_resolve_parameters :: [CGP/GLSLP]: Parameter AA_R

ESOLUTION_Y is set in the preset, but no shader uses this parameter, ignoring.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: load_program :: CG error: The file could not be read.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: load_preset :: Failed to load shaders ...

RetroArch [ERROR] :: gl_shader_init :: [GL]: Failed to init shader, falling back

to stock.

ESOLUTION_X is set in the preset, but no shader uses this parameter, ignoring.

ESOLUTION_Y is set in the preset, but no shader uses this parameter, ignoring.

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: SYSTEM_DIRECTORY: G:\Hyperspin

\Emulators\retroArch\system/RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: CO

NTENT_DIRECTORY: (null)RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: SAVE_DI

RECTORY: G:\Hyperspin\Emulators\retroArch\system/RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro:

[libretro INFO] :: Starting game:G:\Hyperspin\Games\Console\Astrocade\280 Zzzap+

Dodgem (USA).7z

RetroArch [WARN] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro WARN] :: Driver 280 Zzzap+Do

dgem (USA) not found -1

RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro ERROR] :: Driver not found

280 Zzzap+Dodgem (USA)

RetroArch [WARN] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro WARN] :: Driver Astrocade no

t found -1

RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro ERROR] :: System not found:

Astrocade

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: width=320 height=240

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: max_width=1600 max_he

ight=1200

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: aspect_ratio=0.000000

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: fps=60.000000 sample_

rate=48000.000000

Retro unload_game

Retro DeInit

What's most frustrating is that it seems that user zerojay at the HyperLaunch forums has it working, but doesn't seem inclined to share his config or any files... *shrugs*

I've been working 18 hour days trying to finish the game I'm working on so getting you my configuration files right at this instant isn't exactly a priority for me and seeing you post stuff like this shitting on me isn't exactly going to make me want to go out of my way to want to help you either. Posts like this one make me just want to keep my work to myself if this is what it'll get me.

The fact that I'm updating modules and sharing them on the thread should tell you that I have no issues with sharing anything.

For those of you trying to get this working, I had a brand new install with no cfgs whatsoever. I set RA to use per-core configs. Create \system\mess\ and drop your MESS BIOS files in there. I don't remember needing to do anything else, but as soon as I'm able to breathe, I'll drop everything somewhere so that you guys can disect it and see what could be the issue.

I've been working 18 hour days trying to finish the game I'm working on so getting you my configuration files right at this instant isn't exactly a priority for me and seeing you post stuff like this shitting on me isn't exactly going to make me want to go out of my way to want to help you either. Posts like this one make me just want to keep my work to myself if this is what it'll get me.

I must apologize - I didn't mean to be condescending in my post. I guess I let my frustrations get the better of me.

I really appreciate the work you're doing and thank you for sharing with the community.

Hey man, absolutely. I appreciate everything you're doing, and I know what it's like to be overwhelmed. Please don't feel like people are trying to appropriate your work, or feeling self entitled. Its not the case, at least, in most cases. Not to get too meta, but I think video games still sort of holds on to the parts of us that can be... childish, and delay gratification feels like getting grounded for a week. :D

Edit: After reading your post, dropping the mess files into the retroarch directory is the one thing I didn't try - I saw hyperlaunchhq letting me point to the bios files, so I assumed I could just point it to my mess directory. I will test this when I get home, but I wonder if I'm not the only one that made this assumption? Anyone dropping bios directly into the Retroarch/System directory? Can anyone test?

Trying to work with 2 systems, 1 complicated (mess) the other (complicated because of the first complication RA) then add the lack of documentation which normal people can follow, well you may as well attempt time travel.

Rotflmao! mess i love it!

astrocade and few others i scraped off my cab there just to old. 2600 did it better

After reading your post, dropping the mess files into the retroarch directory is the one thing I didn't try - I saw hyperlaunchhq letting me point to the bios files, so I assumed I could just point it to my mess directory. I will test this when I get home, but I wonder if I'm not the only one that made this assumption? Anyone dropping bios directly into the Retroarch/System directory? Can anyone test?

The RetroArch BIOS files per core need to be in Retroarch/System. The ones for the MESS core need to be in Retroarch/System/mess/.

When I zip up my directory, I'll leave a single BIOS in the folder so you know where to put your own.

Don't feel bad guys, I think I've tried every single suggestion on the forums...twice. No clue what I'm doing wrong. This is the only core that I can't get to work, and I'm using retroarch for around 20 systems

We just need to stay patient. I'm sure Jay is exhausted

Don't feel bad guys, I think I've tried every single suggestion on the forums...twice. No clue what I'm doing wrong. This is the only core that I can't get to work, and I'm using retroarch for around 20 systems

We just need to stay patient. I'm sure Jay is exhausted

You have no idea.

I'll upload the pack tonight. We'll figure it out.

Archived