Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

ShadowBox Arcade

RidicRick

Ok, this isn't an arcade, but since my tablet is in there I could hook up a wii controller or any blutooth controller and play MAME.

I came up with this idea a few months ago and decided what the hell and built it... let me know what you guys think. The website for it isnt up just yet. I will probably just offer

the graphics to build your own unless someone really wants me to build one for them. I would of course use a digital picture frame that played video instead of a tablet, or you can throw your tablet in there if you wish.

First, bought myself a shadow box from Hobby Lobby. This one is 13x17.

sb000.jpg

I also bought a small sheet of styrofoam. And a styrofoam cutter (it just gets hot and cuts through it like butter).

sb001.jpg

See.. cuts like butter. :)

sb002.jpg

So here I have larger slots cutout for the buttons on the tablet. Just so I don't have to pull it out to turn it off or hit the buttons.

sb003.jpg

Test fitting the tablet in the shadowbox. Make sure to buy the thickest depth shadowbox, it gives you more room to mount your LCD, tablet, or digital picture frame.

sb004.jpg

Black cardboard from Hobby Lobby. Cut this to fit inside. It will be the inner bezel.

sb005.jpg

Its coming together nicely! Cannot wait to print the graphics and get this project done! The video playing is a flv video preview from emumovies.

sb006.jpg

Graphics are printed, laminated, and ready for install. I will be installing a graphic on each side of the plexi (was glass but I broke it). With two different graphics I can change them around at anytime to have a different theme.

sb007.jpg

And here we go.. its done!!! Just wait until you see the video!

sb008.jpg

sb009.jpg

With that glass from the frame, how would you touch the screen of the tablet in order to start games, change apps, etc? Seems like a PITA to have to open the frame every time you want to do something on the tablet or even just touch the screen...

- J*

With my tablet I dont have to touch the screen, just use the wii controller and set a button to exit. But really its not meant to play games. Just meant to show video of one game that matches the shadowbox. Then have lets say have a wall of 5 shadow boxes each playing the games video. DK, DKjr, DK3, MarioBros, Popeye.

So really you wouldnt use a tablet. Get a cheap digital picture frame that plays video.

With my tablet I dont have to touch the screen, just use the wii controller and set a button to exit. But really its not meant to play games. Just meant to show video of one game that matches the shadowbox. Then have lets say have a wall of 5 shadow boxes each playing the games video. DK, DKjr, DK3, MarioBros, Popeye.

So really you wouldnt use a tablet. Get a cheap digital picture frame that plays video.

Gotcha... I understand what it's for now. That sounds like a cool idea to hang a bunch of these on the wall.

- J*

I actually like this idea alot...I might have to steal the idea when I move and have my game room. The only thing I would do differently is mod the tablet/picture frame and add a way to plug it in and turn it off from the outside the box.

I actually like this idea alot...I might have to steal the idea when I move and have my game room. The only thing I would do differently is mod the tablet/picture frame and add a way to plug it in and turn it off from the outside the box.

I put a hole in the back of mine so that it can be plugged in and hide the wires a little better. And the new 12" digital picture frame I am putting into it has a remote control to turn it on/off so I wont need to have a on/off switch.

I put a hole in the back of mine so that it can be plugged in and hide the wires a little better. And the new 12" digital picture frame I am putting into it has a remote control to turn it on/off so I wont need to have a on/off switch.

Very cool. Thanks a lot for the neat idea.

• 1 year later...

I sold the digital shadow box arcade but it was a $250 tablet (forgot which one) just playing a video of the game. You could use a emulator and actually play the game using blutooth and a wii controller. But I would just get a digital picture frame, load the video, put on the bezel and be done at a much cheaper cost.

Most of the art you can find here, then just make it whatever size you need for the shadow box you get.

http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/

Archived