Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Bartop started!

Nice build as usual, looks like you are using 18mm MDF, I thought you would have used thinner, to save on weight?

Or there's always the option of using a Dremel with a suitable cutting disc and depth guide.

I would imagine the tricky bit is getting the slot exactly central so the t-molding doesn't stick out one side or the other.

I cut the slot in my bartop with a 1mm cutting disc and the Dremel drill depth gauge took 10 minutes to complete - perfect centre line

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to know. I must buy a Dremel at some point! Also need to work on my jigsaw technique to get some nice curves.

If you haven't got access to a router or a table/circular saw, and you have to to use a jigsaw to cut, make sure you use clamps and rails with it as a guide. Clamp or screw any pieces that need to be symmetrical (ie left and right side panels) together, then clamp or screw a baton onto the panels inside where you want your cut to be, and use that as a guide for your jigsaw to make sure you get straight lines. Cut the 2 panels together as one piece, and leave them together until you've finished working and sanding them down to size, otherwise they won't match up perfectly.

Personally, for outside curves i would cut a square or 45 degree corner, then use an oscillating palm sander to bring the wood down to a curve carefully by hand. It's more time consuming, but you can have much better control over the finished curve, and you can get a cheap palm sander for very little if you don't have one.

For inside curves, using a jigsaw is just plain tricky, and there's really no way around doing it very carefully and slowly. Try cutting a template out of some scrap wood and using that as a guide. Make that cut early in your cutting process, as there's nothing worse than messing up a perfectly well done job on the last cut.

That's some great advice, thanks. I've got a palm sander and cheap router but will be investing in more tools before I start building anything.

@jahilton - Your cabs are amazing and really inspirational. I've seen a lot of examples on the web of how to build a cab (and how not to - there's a gallery of truly hideous ones somewhere) and yours are among the very best. Thanks for sharing your build photos with us.

• 2 weeks later...
More pics...

Looks like more of the same high quality work we've gotten accustomed to from you guys. Are you planning to give it the same style of cabling and lighting job as the space invaders cab? What kind of theme and artwork are you thinking for this one?

You should start branding your cabs or putting a signature plate on the back of them or something, to keep them verifiably original and authentic. I've seen a couple of cabs already on other sites that have "borrowed" a few of the trademark ideas you've got on yours, like the style of your rear window and your space invaders panel mount.

You know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Looks like more of the same high quality work we've gotten accustomed to from you guys. Are you planning to give it the same style of cabling and lighting job as the space invaders cab? What kind of theme and artwork are you thinking for this one?

You should start branding your cabs or putting a signature plate on the back of them or something, to keep them verifiably original and authentic. I've seen a couple of cabs already on other sites that have "borrowed" a few of the trademark ideas you've got on yours, like the style of your rear window and your space invaders panel mount.

You know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Indeed, it amazes me just how many people have seen the cabs from around the world..... its quite scary!

I seen somebody to make a invaders tft mount like ours, think fella a fellow Brit. "GAZSNK" if my memory bank is correct.... not seen the rear windows example your talkin about... would love to see it if you have a link. it nice to know we inspire people tho.... kinda make it all worth while.

In reference to the "theme" its going to be toned down a little.... wrapped carbon sides with black t-mould.... not thought about artwork really... although we want to have it Premier Arcade themed......

here are the marque artwork ideas we have at the mo;

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 months later...
Master builder in the house! Great skills and love your other work. Glass looks great - quality stuff. Looking forward to the art scheme you put together, your work is always well integrated in that department.

Not really doing much in terms of artwork really with this one...... carbon wrapped sides/bezel and a Premier arcades Marquee. with black t-mould.

Fantastic job so far, and a really great looking neatness and completeness of vision that sets it apart from most other builders. I love the buttons on the glass, they're a really great space saving idea. How the hell did you manage to cut those holes??

Nice to see your trademark monitor mount made it in to this one too :top:

Well done, looking forward to seeing it finished!

I love the buttons on the glass, they're a really great space saving idea. How the hell did you manage to cut those holes??

LOL yeah, we had to have a long hard think about that. the gamble paid off tho and we'll plan to use that method from now on. Got some lights and buttons on order......but to answer the question....a diamond tipped glass drill bit

post-23730-142870585006_thumb.jpg

Archived