Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Here we go again my 2nd cab project

monkeychunkuk

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a bit progress today,i fitted the sprayed up speaker grills to the other cabs and fitted the marquee plexiglass to all of them,

Then the rest of the time i spent bringing the Tron cab forward

I fitted a fan to suck out the hot air

e8yquju6.jpg

And fitted the plexi glass

8ytyqeru.jpg

I also updated all the drivers and it now runs as smooth as anything and is shelled to run directly into Hyperspin

napadepu.jpg

For this cab to be finished i need to

Blackout the plexiglass

Fit a grill to the rear

Fit the speakers

Put a edge strip around exposed parts

Get the art printed

Fit the art

Wire up the cp and fit buttons

Fit a lock to the front

Tidy up the wiring

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

They looking sweet buddy, how you finding the plexi glass for the screen, i hated my plexi glass always got scratches when you remove the film from the plastic, i ended up using proper toughened bronze tinted glass from local glazing company in the end, i think it was £26 or something like that and it looks stunning.

(worth the extra money, and lasts forever)

The Bronze tint glass is almost black when screen off and as soon as you switch on your monitor it shines through totally clear, just thought i would mention it

cheers gaz

post-554-142870585982_thumb.jpg

Only in good light it's almost black,

I made a slim mdf bezel surround in work on laser cutter to go in front of monitor behind glass,so it's a perfect black border around screen

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So sow progress as im busy trying to Shell the front end of Cab number 1 but whilst im not doing that i spent a bit of time on PS and made art for the third machine

,not a patch on the orignal design by Mike but not a bad design

Here is the art

Marquee

marquee.png

Side art

invaderssideartredLHSV4copy.png

Control panel(may change the font)

invaderscpREDcopy.png

looking good, you might want to ease off on the drop shadow on the admin buttons text though, make it look a bit more subtle.

for the marquee all i did was google for a free version of the space invaders font, make 3 different coloured layers, and then add some perspective using free transform

Yup the control panel font and drop shadow needs a rework,as for marquee i didn't wanna do a straight copy of your great work but i will do a space invader font search and see how it works

Back to cab number 1 the control panel artwork turned up today,im pretty happy with it

utere8e4.jpg

So ill be completing the control panel today

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

Nice! The all black buttons look awesome with that graphic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The control panel graphic looks fantastic, but a Tron cab really deserves illuminated buttons

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Monkey, Im currently working on a NES-PC build and am nearing having it fully assembled. It will still take some time to get the software 100% ironed out, but... im the mean time, Ive been reading about cabinet builds, and found your thread.

I must say, This thread and your attention to detail and descriptions, have me considering ditching my NES build, and using the parts to build an arcade cabinet. I have a few questions.

MDF woodworking is not a problem. I have access to a 2000 sqft, full stocked with top end equipment shop to do whatever I need, free.

Electronic hardware and build / assemble - Ive built most if not all of my own home pc's.

Mechanical aptitude. Im a 22yr experienced mechanical engineer. I got that easy.

Heres where Im a bit unsure..

** Joysticks, buttons, and the interface into the PC... habba-wha?! 110% lost here. Would I still use something like Xpadder?

*** PC software to auto load directly into the Hyperspin intro and then hyperspin wheel main menu... Im not entirely software illiterate, but this confuses me a lot. Is there a "how to" instructions or video I can follow to match what everyone else here does?

**** Coinbox bypass button combo.. or.. coinbox bypass key toggle "on/off" mounted on the back of the cabinet.. How would I integrate the input toggle to a pc for software specific actions?

***** Stickers / vs paint. I outright suck at both. Is it better to apply a decal to the MDF directly? or apply a veneer, then put on decals?

Things Im assuming:

A power and reset button would be mounted somewhere on the back of the unit. Can use a direct toggle switch from the PSU to auto "power on" or would I still need a momentary switch somewhere to power cycle the on circuit?

Wireless keyboard and mouse within the cabinet to do "maintenance" if needed?

Airflow - mounting a fan to the inside cabinet, straddling the motherboard somehow, or flip the motherboard upside down and direct fan from the bottom? what about dust from the floor? Should there be a filtered media that I can take out and clean / replace, similar to a home A/C/Heat central filter?

I definitely do not intend to hijack your thread. a PM reply would be fine too.

Things about your build that intrigue me.

Your mobos and hardware are so low end, I didnt even think about using P3 or P4 type processor systems to run a handful of software applications.

T molding is a FANTIASTIC idea.

Aluminum foil around cardboard for the light up top.. genius.

Speaker holes vs mounting and cut apart set of speakers.. also genius.

Lastly.. a "lessons learned" comment from the initial posts I found invaluable. I wish more people would do this.

Thanks much,

App

Archived