Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Here we go again my 2nd cab project

monkeychunkuk

Hey app thank you for the great feedback,

First of all I'm no expert at building cabs and any knowledge i have has come directly from this great site if you have the funds grab the Vip package to gain ongoing support with the up to date hyperspin.

Back to your questions.

•using old pc for you cab

Avoid this at all costs you can pick up a motherboard bundle with a on board graphics for £100-£150

It may struggle at running high end emulators ( playstation) but it works great with mame,nes,snes,sega etc

After buying older pcs the trouble ive had finding graphics cards and getting things to run smoothly have overcome the price of a new mobo ( you were right Mike)

•Controls

Joysticks and buttons vary on what you pay and like all things you get what you pay for so seek advice and copy others buying habbits not mine.

•Xpadder?

What controls the above is called s Ipac a quick google search will see you right, i bought mine from gremlins controls other sites have them but get original as ive read others have problems,its basically a keyboard on a pcb, it will come preprogrammed with the correct keys for mame to working without any tweaking.set up your bios to have keyboard ps2 legacy turned on then plug it into your pc and it will work,as for wiring buttons many sites have kits with made up wires the pcb is marked with the buttons name IE sw1 or Up if you take your time its as simple as wiring a plug,

Coinbox on/off

The great thing about the ipac it has a connection for coin/credit.you will need a power supply for light coin doors this can be grabbed of the PSU for the pc

But the other part is just a switch.

A normal push button can be connected to the mobo and act in same way as the button on the front of any pc,no need to play with the PSU

•Stickers/vinyl

With a good fine sand ive had nothing but great experience with my printed artwork going straight onto MDF, the vinyl vs spray is another matter that im still on the fence with ill report back in future.

•Wireless keyboard

Why not do both grab a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard from the net plug the dongle into your usb and forget about it untill you need it,to offer ease of upgrade fit a usb port at the back then you don't need to open the machine in the future

•Airflow

Im still learning about this myself

On my bartop i had one big blowing cool air IN from the back,but on my larger cabs i have one fan sucking air OUT

Both seem to working without fires ; ) but to offer peace of mind fit as many fans as you happy with

•programming/set up

To be honest this is going to be your biggest hurdle,Hyperspin is a amazing program, but is not new user friendly

BUT if you do your home work these forums have pages of guides and many users that will help with a bit of playing around you could get Mame running in no time.the VIP section will offer all the great user made vids,menus.But getting the roms is a dark area no one can offer you advice on we're to find these as its a grey area so please don't ask.but a quick google search will not hurt

Hope I've helped happy building look forward to your build pictures/post

Any more questions feel free to ask

Steve

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where u getting your artwork from Monk? Is it good stuff?

Yup Mikes right i googled Tron wallpaper larger than 2m thanks to his advice and then i googled the Tron font

The printing is from my local printers Im taking in 2gig tiff files and they are printing the full set for £64 ish

Now after that back my progress i fitted the Tron arcade CP and works treat minus the missing buttons

dabynyqe.jpg

eheme2u7.jpg

Oh and here is my start up (yup that fat guy is me in the refection ; )

hyqynaga.jpg

The perspex is gonna be replaced with glass ASAP

Now that youve blown any budget limit you had on this :-)...id recommend craftys slg generator...its an amazing piece of kit, unbelievably cheap and a massive differance when running the old emulators on an lcd.. the scan lines look great..

Can you link me to the win 7 shell thread?

Can you link me to the win 7 shell thread?

What is a "win 7 shell"?

******EDITED PART******

Opps, clicked the submit button too quickly.

Monkey, thanks so very much for your comments. I've got Hyperspin 1.2 working for about 28 NES games. I created my own intro video to replace the hyperspin video, and have purchased the necessary hardware to cram a Mini-ITX system into the bezel housing of my original NES. I've decided to use some 2.4GHz RF transceiver, and modify my NES controllers so they're wireless, and I can save even more room by keeping only the "outside look" of my controller ports. My current issue is getting everything on a small enough SSD and mounted.

Once that project is completed, I will be following your footsteps. (lol no pressure).

I found a couple cabinet designs I like. Choosing for arm space, when side by side with player two. And I prefer the old "arcade-y" look. Here is a link to the website of the "plans" I will be attempting to follow.

Cabinet Plans (Crude)

And here is a picture of what the original builder went with.

cab21.JPG

So, I have a decent start of information, but being a degreed engineer, and a project manager as my profession... I recognize there are still a lot of holes.

(Rambling now)

Anyway, Thank you again, for posting this thread with so much detail and photos.

App

• 4 weeks later...

So not done much lately so i thought id post a update,after the success with shelling Tron machine and setting it up correctly i thought id go back to my retrocade and replace the hard drive (1tb) with a much smaller 320 as i wasn't using most of it i also made it its own custom intro ill post it another time

Looking and my 3 larger cabs i decided to chop one down to make another bartop as it seems to be more popular

Size

So all i need is inspiration for a theme for this little one

The Retrocade is for sale BTW (with out hyperspin and roms) if anyones interested ?

to cover the parts alone id like £350 i think its worth more but as its the first build its rough around the edges but is in working condition.

uhahabej.jpg

Is that a reflection in the screen...freaky! !

Right? I thought the same thing. I spent a couple hours at work looking at it, blowing it up and trying to understand what I was looking at.

I conclude by the angle of the shot, its not Monkey. I think its Monkey's Uncle. And hes assisting someone whos fallen

**Edited**

changed my mind about posting the somewhat humorous photo. Thought perhaps it may be in bad taste in case I was right.

So the progress on my next cab isn't going great.....

Thanks to guys on here i got hold of the artwork for FFJ i jumped on photoshop to modify size/button layout for my cab

But i didn't space it correct at the bottom so i lost the cool yellow strip ; (

And then to top it the place i get artwork changed their minimum order price to £15 so after vat what cost £11 last time cost me £18 because i didn't put all the artwork in to be printed ; (

And whilst drilling i went off with two buttons can you spot what ones?

So what do we think do i count it as a loss and go back to the drawing board or is ok to keep?

5umy8yny.jpg

u2adyba5.jpg

P.s the joysticks are off centre as they are not fixed

Hmm I don't see anything that bad. If you have some overlap you can do what I did and file out the hole for the button a touch more. I would keep it unless you have a spare Control panel art ready printed. Luckily I did so didn't feel too bad about scraping it and starting again :shakehands:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived