Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Here we go again my 2nd cab project

monkeychunkuk

Not bad, I'd increase the ram a bit, good prices now.

I'm trying to think what spec mine is, I think it's a core 2 duo, 4gb ram, GeForce 8800gtx, on board sound. Plays far cry 3 on medium which is good enough for me!! Hyperspin runs great but I'm only running standard def movies..

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not bad, I'd increase the ram a bit, good prices now.

I'm trying to think what spec mine is, I think it's a core 2 duo, 4gb ram, GeForce 8800gtx, on board sound. Plays far cry 3 on medium which is good enough for me!! Hyperspin runs great but I'm only running standard def movies..

i have a ton of ram from all the machines i bought si ill bumpp it up!

how do i make it run standard def movies?

i ahve

Not much progress today trying to install windows to one of the setups only to find it wont install windows 64 bit oh and the machine i had running i tool out the case and now it wont display on the monitor any more...oh and i blew up a power supply one of the screws landed on the pcb whilst it was on....never mind

Mobo fun

mu5ehy6y.jpg

"What do you mean my parts are showing"

a3y7atyh.jpg

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

So i picked up my ebay purchase

Little dusty

rady7ese.jpg

Ive seen worse wiring

a5amujy4.jpg

Seems a shame to throw away this part i wonder how much fun its seen

y6ymyja9.jpg

Bit of spit and polish and i have the perfect set up for the Star wars cab

6a2amu7e.jpg

Anyone used these controls?

ha7e5yhy.jpg

On my travels I also picked up 10 metres of black matt vinyl to cover the machines were the artwork isn't. At £19 it was a risky idea but after a quick sample im really impressed with it

Of course I'm going have to make sure the wood is smooth and blemish free

ju3unyry.jpg

Not bad at all it stayed put after i drilled a test hole and after i cut some shapes out of it

egymebud.jpg

X-gaming joysticks and buttons are my least favorite now that I have tried others. The buttons are loud and not that responsive or accurate. The joysticks have the same problem. But you might be able to make them better by getting higher quality micro switches. Definitely get quieter ones because you can hear those suckers clicking from a few rooms away.. LOL This is all just my opinion, but I have bought almost every brand button and joystick and I like to test this kind of stuff out. I don't have a life.. lol

X-gaming joysticks and buttons are my least favorite now that I have tried others. The buttons are loud and not that responsive or accurate. The joysticks have the same problem. But you might be able to make them better by getting higher quality micro switches. Definitely get quieter ones because you can hear those suckers clicking from a few rooms away.. LOL This is all just my opinion, but I have bought almost every brand button and joystick and I like to test this kind of stuff out. I don't have a life.. lol

LOL funnt hte first thing i thought was how quite the buttons and joysticks where : ) ive been using these for the last 4months they REALLY click

http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/ekmps/shops/ultracabs/images/standard-joystick-set-with-mixed-pushbuttons.-100-p.jpg

So i broke out the vinyl today

Prepared back panel sanded with fine wet and dry

eva7u9as.jpg

Vinyl applied

e5yva2aq.jpg

Side panel (the bump is a fixing hole)

yda8upyn.jpg

Side panel back in place

adary7uz.jpg

All parts back in place

gavynyre.jpg

danahyve.jpg

ne7amy8u.jpg

I also fitted hinges on the door not my best work

udegenyd.jpg

e6aza9y4.jpg

mybusetu.jpg

So the final thoughts on vinyl its much cleaner than spray/paint and i think it maybe a lot cheaper £19 will cover both machines,but the surface has to be perfect i had to refit a whole piece because a bit of wood dust got in the way and it really stood out if it had been paint i could have rubbed it down and did a touch up,

Ill be a lot happier when i have the groove cut and the t molding fitted i plan to do this before the side art goes on

Great stuff monkey. Vinyl sure does cut out a lot of work provided you get all the dust and lumps out of the way. I suggest this on every other post seemingly ... have you checked out blackboard vinyl? I find it really does give a great finish - more of a laminate look.

Edit: Also, making the edged rounded (very, very slightly) or bevelling helps in applying the vinyl and avoid bubbling. Pulling the vinyl slightly (blackboard vinyl is tougher/thicker) whilst applying also helps with this.

Yes, sure. I get it from here:

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/blackboard.asp

You could source a smaller piece from ebay first if you don't want to shell out a lot for something you may not be sure of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-SHEET-OF-BLACKBOARD-SELF-ADHESIVE-VINYL-CHALKBOARD-/200634481415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb6bf3b07

It has a slightly textured finish to it so it's less prone to showing greasy fingerprints. A few pics here may give an indication of the finish you can expect to get:

CustomComputerDIYGamingDesk7.jpg

Edit: Buying from the supplier in the first link actually works out at a reasonable cost if you buy a good run of it - the last order I made was for 5 continuous meters with a 1m or so width.

CustomComputerDIYGamingDesk3.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

np monkey and that's a coincidence :)

Richie, the white is a spray finish over MDF - took a long tome to get that result. I have tried using vinyl to wrap around a 3d shape (i.e more than just around edges resulting in 'seams') but the finish wasn't satisfactory in my view. Real laminate sheet can be worked around more complex shapes but I've no experience of that unfortunately.

Hey Monkey - great idea with the vinyl wrap....I did my control panel with it and it so much cleaner than spray, but like you say you have to have a perfect surface to mount to...

soo impressed with your bargain hunting also, I never find any gumtree/ebay bargains near me they are always too far to travel....

Cheers,im lucky as my job makes me drive all day so im all over the country, so i can just tap in my current location and see whats up for grabs

Ive spent about £120 i have 5 monitors i can use but motherboard stuff is a bit of jumble,

out of the lot i have 2 hard drives that will fit my needs,only have one psu working lots of odds and sods of ram im still not sure if they will be good enough for the 4 cabs i plan to build

Do i get back on gum tree and pick up some odds and sods or do i pay the money and buy a new mobo from novatech like i have running well in my retro cade ???

Archived