Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Here we go again my 2nd cab project

monkeychunkuk

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we are off

Went to my local DIY store ( B&Q )

Picked up a sheet of MDF for £18

And used the free in store cutting option

And managed to get all the panels out of one sheet.

ebuge5eg.jpg

Here is my rough plans

erepyner.jpg

I had to adjust the side panels width

By 1/2 inch as i forgot to allow for loss from each cuts,the guy gave me a funny look when i asked him to cut 21 inches of a 20 1/2 piece of wood ; )

And taaa daaa one flat pack arcade ; )

dadyby7e.jpg

Oh and i picked up some fixings

syvahuna.jpg

6yva9ava.jpg

e9ava9ab.jpg

Next thing to do is break out the jigsaw

And cut the curve shape in the side panels

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

As for the controller, I use exactly the same in my bartop. It works fine except for escaping when using 2 buttons. They show up as HID Joypads in windows. If you have the 2 player one then you get something like 22 buttons available so if you set yourself up with some admin buttons you'll be golden. If you choose to try and use shifted functions like I did then be prepared for a little playing about.

Here was my fix.

OK firstly you want a copy of xpadder 5.3 which was the last of the freeware versions of xpadder. You should be able to find it at download.hr

Run xpadder and create a joystick setup which I imagine will be much like mine, 1 joystick and 8 buttons. I only set mine up for the player 1 side, not much point in setting up on both. Save the Joystick setup and it will automatically load that when it detects the controller. (Which should be always as unless its a fight stick its not going to be removed).

You then right hand click on whichever button you have assigned as your P1 coin button (in my instance Button8) you need to change the option for set selector to Selects set 2 and choose the option for when held (you will get a little blue bar at the bottom of the button that says 2 with an arrow next to it), If you press the arcade button selected then you will see it changes to a 1 and that the selected set in bottom right will change to 2.

Choose set 2 (bottom right) and click on whichever button you have assigned as your P1 start button (in my instance Button7) and set this to esc.

You should now find that when holding down P1 credit and then Pressing P1 start sends an esc command to exit Menu/Hyperspin.

I can confirm in my testing with Mame that the credit button works as normal and it still works for exit with both credit buttons pressed together. Please note I have only tested that this works with Mame, I have not tested with any other emulators. I am unsure if it will work in conjunction with other emulators, but any emulator that uses Joystick commands should be fine.

In a way I'm thankful that you made me check whether I was crazy or not, At least I know now that I don't have to put another button on my machine for exiting Hyperspin. You are right about 2 joystick buttons at the same time with AHK though, not sure why that is, Luckily as its only being used for exiting a front end any lag shouldn't be an issue.

I think they should remove the options for using more then 1 key for exit in the joystick function of hyperhq unless it gets patched out :)

Monkey / Drnick,

One thing I've learnt from letting my boys play with my first build is that shifted functions aren't always ideal (audience dependant).

For example during some "heavy" button bashing the weekend in the garage (they were playing while i was working on project #2) my eldest kept shouting at the other as he kept (by accident) exiting the emu instead of adding credits (i have P1+P2 a esc & P1 + P1 button 1 as coin), they were getting them mixed up and hence were having problems. So I have decided on #2 project I will have separate esc and coin buttons defo....

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea as it loses the real arcade look, but Its the way i'm going next time, also saves head scratching over shifted functions.....

I am also avoiding ALL keyboard function buttons (shift/ctrl/alt) as these also have given me grief....

Monkey / Drnick,

One thing I've learnt from letting my boys play with my first build is that shifted functions aren't always ideal (audience dependant).

For example during some "heavy" button bashing the weekend in the garage (they were playing while i was working on project #2) my eldest kept shouting at the other as he kept (by accident) exiting the emu instead of adding credits (i have P1+P2 a esc & P1 + P1 button 1 as coin), they were getting them mixed up and hence were having problems. So I have decided on #2 project I will have separate esc and coin buttons defo....

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea as it loses the real arcade look, but Its the way i'm going next time, also saves head scratching over shifted functions.....

I am also avoiding ALL keyboard function buttons (shift/ctrl/alt) as these also have given me grief....

Same thought here, my shifted volume control works great, but I want my cab to be universally playable by any one now and in the future...who knows how long my cab will survive, so unless your going to print some sort of manual then I'd steer clear of shifted functions and get some more buttons/ dials on there!!!

Looking good there monkey - impressed you managed to get so little wastage - I usually have a huge amount of excess due to freestyling my way through projects. The B&Q cutting service can be useful - I find I have to wait for ages for someone to turn up to cut the sheets though .....

Cheers to be honest like the wife i wish i could have had a few more inches to play with,i had to make the bottom panel 19inch wide but only 16 inches in length meaning it will have gaps but i figure its on the bottom no ones gonna see it plus once i fit some feet to the bottom the gaps will help with the airflow inside the cab.

Oh and like you i had to wait for the guy who can use the machine, but 20 mins wait and unlimted cuts is better than home base twice the price mdf and maxium five cuts

Here the shape marked up for the top of cab, just got to mark a nice sweeping curve for the bottom part

vu7yre7y.jpg

Well to be honest this is a budget build so im gonna have to bite the bullet and go with this cheap option below and order extra blue and red buttons for left and right style

The buttons are not great but for £38 you get all this! If some one can match this please let me know

a9e4yry6.jpg

Arcade USB Control Kit

1 x USB Interface.

1 x USB Lead.

1 x Full set of Joystick / Button / Ground leads ready crimped with 4.8mm connections

and easy push on connectors to connect to the interface.

1 x Easy to follow wiring diagram.

This interface supports 2 joysticks and 12 buttons for player 1 and

10 butons for player 2.

These extra buttons can be set for P1/P2 Start / Add credit etc.

Plug and play ready for WINDOWS 98/ 2000 / XP / VISTA / 7 / LINUX

Simply plug the USB interface into your PC and it will recognise the Interface as

a game controller which can be easily configured in MAME.

2 x Red balltop Joysticks with 2/4/8 way restrictor plate.

16 x Buttons

Set of Player 1 & 2 Start Buttons.

hi Steve,

i know you are on a budget, but you might want to spent a couple of £ more and get the illuminated set, would look far better when done.

you should be able to get them to provide different colours for player 1 & 2 - also the matching balltops for the joysticks.

Mike..

Hmmm i know your right Mike it would look great with player 1 glowing blue and player 2 glowing red

Where is everyone buying their buttons?

If i get the usb interface £18

And these joysticks 2 x £18.95

temuta4e.jpg

uquqyty5.jpg

And these 2x sets of 6 buttons Red/Blue illuminated buttons

£5.75

buqa5ena.jpgupuqeqy2.jpg

Thats an extra £30

Hmmmmmmm

I'm after a none ball top for my next joysticks, I came across this supplier on ebay...not a bad price.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270907902508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I had a set of those sticks, and budget is an understatement. .

You would be far better off getting joysticks you are happy with for a couple of pounds more.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Archived