Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Frosty's Bartop

Frosty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice start Frosty.

Any idea on a theme yet?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Haven't decided yet. Any suggestions? Maybe a frosty theme? ha. Y'all's space invaders theme turned out great btw.

Iike the curve on the botton nice touch..are both sides the same?

Yeah I have the sides rotated different ways in that pic but they'll generally resemble the design plans that were posted on mike's thread. I will sand them down to match perfect this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Gathered my PC components and built the system last night. Loaded Win 7 64 b, but got win 8 pro upgrade from that special Microsoft is running (which ends today btw). May load win 8 later on...

Started putting together the cab pieces this past weekend. Need to drill speaker holes, then ill start painting.

Finalizing the theme designs to be printed for the sides,etc.

Hopefully wont hit too many snags further on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

post-73939-14287058441_thumb.jpg

An update:

Gathered my PC components and built the system last night. Loaded Win 7 64 b, but got win 8 pro upgrade from that special Microsoft is running (which ends today btw). May load win 8 later on...

Started putting together the cab pieces this past weekend. Need to drill speaker holes, then ill start painting.

Finalizing the theme designs to be printed for the sides,etc.

Hopefully wont hit too many snags further on!

all looking good the fun has only just begun!

nice motherboard :P

what processor are you running?

are you using onboard GFX or a card?

Haha yup, I liked your itx idea. It'll save a good amount of room. Running a 3570k intel. I'm using the onboard hd 4000 gfx for now, but of course after the fact I read people were having odd problems with it running the emu movies on hyperspin :hmpf: ...so Ill see how it goes, may have to add a gfx card later on.

• 1 month later...

Finally an update:

Thanks again to all the hs members that I've asked questions to, this is a very helpful forum. :top:

Drilled the control panel using the vewlix button layout.

post-73939-142870585898_thumb.jpg

For sound I decided to go the usb powered route, and got some arctic sound usb speakers from amazon. They are 2 inch speakers but they look and sound surprisingly great in my opinion. I stripped the cases away, drilled, and test mounted them in my speaker bar. They luckily still worked.

post-73939-142870585908_thumb.jpg

Assembled the rest of the cabinet for painting. I used plastic joints from ebay (they don't sell them or fixing blocks in US hardware stores i.e. lowes, home depot). As an after thought these could've been substituted for metal L brackets I suppose. The ones I used are too big in some spots so I had to wear them down with a dremel.

post-73939-142870585913_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I applied the first and second coats of primer to the cab. I am just mainly focusing on the edges, since the rest will be covered in graphics.

post-73939-142870585915_thumb.jpg

Next up will be 2-3 black top coats with sanding in between, then I'll be applying the graphics (that I received from lucian last week :top:!)!

post-73939-142870585894_thumb.jpg

post-73939-1428705859_thumb.jpg

post-73939-142870585914_thumb.jpg

What kind of glass do you guys recommend? Safety, tempered? I was planning on going to a local shop on Monday to pick up some plexiglass cut to size, $35 total.

I just went for 3mm glass with polished edges. No tint

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

In the uk we call it toughened glass. This is different from laminated glass. I don't think laminated glass is needed, but toughened glass is a must. Just normal plate glass would be dangerous so definitely go for toughened.

They stamp the glass to show its toughened, I was a bit miffed at this as it was in the corner of my glass and if I hadn't been spraying the edges it would of been visible, I don't know if you can request it not to be stamped you'll have to check..

In the USA it might be called tempered glass as it is heated to toughen it...

I think here in the US safety is what they use on windshields, there's a plastic layer sandwiched between the glass, and tempered is the kind they use on passenger windows. The kind that breaks into little pieces rather than sharp shards.

In the uk we call it toughened glass. This is different from laminated glass. I don't think laminated glass is needed, but toughened glass is a must. Just normal plate glass would be dangerous so definitely go for toughened.

They stamp the glass to show its toughened, I was a bit miffed at this as it was in the corner of my glass and if I hadn't been spraying the edges it would of been visible, I don't know if you can request it not to be stamped you'll have to check..

In the USA it might be called tempered glass as it is heated to toughen it...

Archived