Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How does Hypersync determine what Media I need?

earthprime

I'm considering a membership to use the auto-sync features of Hypersync.  Does Hypersync populate Hyperspin with media by scanning my Database files or by scanning my ROMs?  If I add all 187 database files, but don't yet have the roms, will Hypersync proceed to install 100% media for all 187 systems including media for ROMs I don't yet have?  Thx.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I was about to post similar questions... When you click "update database" in HyperSync does this grab the latest "full" XML from Hyperlist and overwrite what you have in your Databases folder?

Eg. I've used Dons HS Tools to create a custom XML for MAME (based on 0.160 full XML) so when 0.161 or 0.162 XML is published I would not want to "update database" any more... Just use Dons tools to exclude the same roms?

2nd question... As I previously synced MAME on a full XML (eg. 6000 videos from memory) if I sync now with my custom XML (3000 odd roms) will it delete unneeded files... Or does it only download/replace if files are missing?

You point hypersync to your hyperspin. Then hypersync can read settings so it knows what systems you got. Then you map the local system(s) with the online content you want.

When syncing a system the first thing hs does is a sanity check to make sure u got latest official database - if not it will update it.

Then it matches ur local media files with online version and downloads what you are missing.

If you have customised your databases or media files for any system, then yes, it will overwrite. So ur options in this instance are:

1. Do not synchronise this system and just download content you want manually

2. Synchronise the system but only for the content you haven't customised. I.e. if you've got custom box art, don't download that, but be fine to download wheels etc. Databases always run risk of getting upated, os if these are custom keep bacvkups safe (as you should be doing anyways)

3. (What I do) have hypersync pointing to a mirror hyperspin install that you download everything to. Then you can test it all looks as you want before copying across to main install you use.

4. Backup hyperspin before syncing so you can reverse any unwanted changes you accidentally cause

Remember, for videos you'll need an emumovies subscription too. Hypersync will controll all video downloads still, but will need a valid em account to give it access to vids.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Hi,

would it be possible to add an option to NOT update/overwrite the database on each sync?

I manage my various databases using Dons HyperSpin List Generator in order to just have titles in there which I really care/own.

Nice side effect would be, that HyperSync will only download relevant rather then ALL media for a specific system.

br

LexioJ

Hi,

would it be possible to add an option to NOT update/overwrite the database on each sync?

I manage my various databases using Dons HyperSpin List Generator in order to just have titles in there which I really care/own.

Nice side effect would be, that HyperSync will only download relevant rather then ALL media for a specific system.

br

LexioJ

No way that I know of. You'd probably want to make a backup of your custom stuff first.

Everyone seems to have their own little quirks for setup. Just gotta find what works for you.

Most of my systems use the most recent xml. Hypersync gets all media for everything in the xml. I then use the "Roms Only" feature and delete roms I don't want to show up. If I change my mind later, I can just drop the game back in the rom folder and it will show up with all media already.

When syncing a system the first thing hs does is a sanity check to make sure u got latest official database - if not it will update it.

I don't notice this behaviour. I mean there is an "update database" button in the individual system settings window but that is totally manual. Mame is the 1 system I still use .155 so I am very careful to not update that one.

Eg. I've used Dons HS Tools to create a custom XML for MAME (based on 0.160 full XML) so when 0.161 or 0.162 XML is published I would not want to "update database" any more... Just use Dons tools to exclude the same roms?

2nd question... As I previously synced MAME on a full XML (eg. 6000 videos from memory) if I sync now with my custom XML (3000 odd roms) will it delete unneeded files... Or does it only download/replace if files are missing?

Your mame.xml must match the romset you are using. Don't Update it unless you are updating your romset as well.

Hypersync will not delete un-needed/renamed media but there is an app in the downloads section called "Rom Folder Cleaner" that will delete everything not named in the xml. Highly configurable, very nice little program.

Remember, for videos you'll need an emumovies subscription too. Hypersync will controll all video downloads still, but will need a valid em account to give it access to vids.

I have yet to get HyperSync to retrieve a single, solitary video.  I have no clue as to why since it seems to have no issue grabbing box art, etc...

Yes, I do have an EmuMovies account and even indicated that when I initially setup HyperSync.  Any advice?

I have yet to get HyperSync to retrieve a single, solitary video. I have no clue as to why since it seems to have no issue grabbing box art, etc...

Yes, I do have an EmuMovies account and even indicated that when I initially setup HyperSync. Any advice?

Also I noticed that by default hyperhq had the paths to videos set to drive c... I manually updated the path (to z: ... in my case). Wierd cause all the videos showed correctly inside HS with this set wrong. Not sure if this will fix it for you, but worth checking into. Maybe Hypersync uses the path from here?

Sent from my SGH-I467M using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hey all.

I decided to rebuild my software layer of may arcade cab. Started with new version HyperSpin and RocketLaunch.

All done and working fine.

My question in relation to HyperSync, I had a pretty much complete romset and media for MAME, but thought I would setup HyperSync to add a few more systems to the mix. I am trying to work out why when I sync all Media, it re-downloads everything again. By everything I mean my existing mame video library... I have updated Mame and romset to 0.167 but not sure if I have missed something or an option as Hypersync is reloading all the content again. During a sync, it seemed to skip wheel art but re-downloaded the same videos.

Being location in Australia, our internet is horrible. My poor little machine (Alienware Alpha) has been downloading for 3 days and still going.

If anyone can offer a hint or just clarify, this is the way it is, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ppl.

I'm checking it right now and it is overwriting all my videos (and hopefully adding new ones). However it is changing all the thumbnails of the vids from the vid to a blue box that snaps" or something like that. If these are new higher quality vids then I'm all for it.

Earlier it was mentioned that Hypersync auto-downloads an XML and overwrites your own. That might happen if you click the update database button, but it does not do this automatically.

Archived