Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LEGO Batpin Build Blog (46/19/32)

DeeGor

Got the artwork applied today and I absolutely love it.

IMG_0471.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0460.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0462.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0469.JPG?raw=1

I decided on trimming the artwork flush and I think it turned out fine.

IMG_0473.JPG?raw=1

This project has been a lot of fun, and I'm a little bummed out it's coming to an end. I still want to add a shaker motor to the cabinet, but that will have to wait awhile.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The material was easy to work with and looks great. Virtually no air pockets.

Applying the front artwork was the most challenging because I couldn't simply lay the artwork on the cabinet as I did with the sides. That and I had to be extra careful when trimming the excess.

If I ever do it again, I will miter the corners. You can see any imperfections in the woodworking through the artwork, and I can see the edges of the cabinets sides on the front, which annoys me.

The artwork is glossy.

I thought about finishing the other cabinet with some art, but I think I'm going to sell it and make another. I already have a couple offers for it.

Once I'm finished with the new cab I'll hit you up for some more art design. You did an awesome job with this piece. :)

• 3 weeks later...

And just when I thought I was all done with the cabinet. H4ck3r gifts me with a shaker motor. :)

I went ahead and made a little cover for the shaker motor out of acrylic.

It ended up being pretty easy to do. Just sandwiched the acrylic between two boards and carefully heated it up with a heat gun as I made the bends. I really don't think it could have turned out better.

IMG_0562.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0563.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0564.JPG?raw=1

Just waiting on my H-bridge to arrive now.

I like the cover. Good job.

How thick was the acrylic and where did you get it. You have inspired me to try to make one.

Thanks. I'm honestly amazed it didn't come out all screwed up on the first try.

I picked it up at home depot. It's the same acrylic I used in front of my Backglass TV. I think it's 3/32" thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the shaker motor + H-bridge installed and working.

Holy crap!!!

That motor is pretty powerful. I have my pinball cabinet located in the loft area on the second floor of my house, and you could feel the floor vibrating like crazy when it went off. Now to figure out how to turn down the intensity a little bit.

Many thanks go to Chriz99 on helping troubleshoot some of my ledwiz problems with the H-bridge. :beer:

IMG_0567.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0574.JPG?raw=1

The shaker is great. It really adds another dimension to the tables that utilize it.

My only issue is the default intensity for some of the tables with my shaker motor is a bit too much. Changing it is a little bit of a pain, as you have to do it for each table that uses the shaker. I wish Pixelmagic's ledwiz tool would allow you to specify a maximum intensity, then adjust all the tables accordingly.

But since it doesn't, I'm just writing my own script to modify the values for me.

And yes, I'm completely finished. That is until Pixelmagic and Shifters finish their ledwiz alternative. Once that gets released I'll have to start all over again. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I got bored and decided to modify the latest fplaunch to add a force feedback soft switch. This allows you to enable / disable all of your force feedback from within the Hyperpin service menu, rather than having to build in a physical switch to cut power to your feedback devices.

When I originally designed my cabinet I put all of my force feedback on the 24v power supply and put in a simple inline switch to disable force feedback. This worked great until I put in my shaker motor, which ran on 12v power. Rather than physically alter the cabinet I opted to just fix this in software instead.

The modification works by using two ledcontrol.ini files. The first file named ledcontrol.ini contains all of your normal ledwiz assignments (including feedback). The second file which you generate is called ledcontrol.nofeedback.ini. This file contains all of your assignments minus the feedback devices.

When you select "Toggle feedback" in the service menu, fplaunch will swap the two files and enable or disable the feedback depending on what the last state was. After that, you will have to restart the table for the new settings to take effect.

Be sure to read the Feedback-mod-instructions.txt file for instructions on how to set it all up.

I'm not sure how many people will find this useful, but I figured I'd release it anyway. :)

FPLaunch-wip8-feedback-mod

Dude, brilliant.

I was already using this solution, but modifying the .ini files by hand every time. Time consuming and annoying, but a better solution for me than building in hardware switches.

Damn good idea. Thanks a ton for this!

Archived