The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

My first Arcade Build Rotating CRT & More

epicfatigue

Hey everyone,

Sorry for my absence i have been very busy with work and working on something i hope to share with you all soon i just have to confirm it.

So an issue i have had for awhile is working out how i was going to be able to have the arcade start up with a push of a single button.

This was easy enough but i also wanted to be able to turn the monitor off or on if need be and still have power inside that could be used without the machine on if required.

I came across this Master/Slave power saving board that was to good to pass up.

The board has a current meter in it, what when it detects a decent flow or power it activates the other power points.

Two of them can be turned into normal mode which is exactly what i wanted if i needed to attach a wand or something else

20130615_183353.jpg

So it was down to bunnings!!!

I got some cable and flex etc etc.

Please ignore the spaghetti of cables, it will all be cleaned up when the project is finished! This is will be like showroom when its all done

I ran an extension cable to a fixed power point inside that the power board could plug right into.

The computer is connected to the master slot, when the computer is turned on it then starts up the speakers cabinet monitor guns etc etc.

20130615_183412.jpg

20130615_191248.jpg

20130615_194843.jpg

So i have been playing around setting up the pic with HID, i have worked out the driver set i will be using and boot loader, works with linux xp 32 64 and windows 7 32 and 64.

USB is fully working time to start writing my program.

Took alittle tweaking to get the caps in the right range, seemed to vary across systems, the newer systems seem to require more smoothing then the older ones ODD!!!.

Here is a little sneak peak not much to see just the device loaded with an on and off button and a reset button,

http://youtu.be/XIQb4fPHJl8]http://youtu.be/XIQb4fPHJl8

So i have been playing with the PIC chip setting up usb communication and learning a little about them, have to start with the basics and tackle it from all angles.

I believe i have worked out how i will write the code thinking about making the pic a slave and it can be fully controlled by python script.

In celebration of working out how to give my driver/pic a name and have full usb communication with a fantastic boot-loader installed i thought i would sing you all a song.

Hey everyone So i have finished the major part of the USB rotatable interface.

At the moment all i have to do is build the Automatic KVM feature in.

Then i have to add switches to the Rotate.exe file like below.

Rotate.exe -right

Rotate.exe -left

Rotate.exe -deguass

It also has a a GUI interface that allows you to manually Rotate Left, Rotate Right, Degauss.

It Operates as follows.

Rotate Right Selected by GUI or Rotate.exe -right

Monitor Relay Is turned on (turning off the monitor)

5v is applied HVBridge (High) Rotating the monitor Right

Limit Switch is pressed Turns off rotating, Turns off Monitor Relay(Monitor Comes on), Degaussing Coil fired.

Message is Sent to GUI Letting user known the position.

Rotate Left Selected by GUI or Rotate.exe -left

Monitor Relay Is turned on (turning off the monitor)

5v is applied HVBridge (High) Rotating the monitor Left

Limit Switch is pressed Turns off rotating, Turns off Monitor Relay(Monitor Comes on), Degaussing Coil fired.

Message is Sent to GUI Letting user known the position.

Degauss Selected by GUI or Rotate.exe -degauss

Deguassing Coil is fired 3 times.

200ms ON

200ms OFF

200ms ON

200ms OFF

200ms ON

200ms OFF

If the monitor is in the left position (meaning the left limit switch is pressed)

And Rotate left is selected by GUI or Rotate.exe -left The Chip will not turn the monitor off nor will it send power to the HV-Bridge.

If the monitor is in the Right position (meaning the Right limit switch is pressed)

And Rotate Right is selected by GUI or Rotate.exe -Right The Chip will not turn the monitor off nor will it send power to the HV-Bridge.

The Chip will not turn the monitor off nor will it send power to the HV-Bridge.

I Have taken a Youtube Video for you all, its not an ideal setup and hard to see but you all get the idea.

I Would love your feedback, i spent alot of time working on this and i hope you all like it as much as i do.

So today i have a very special announcement,

I would like to send a big shout out to Corsair for sponsoring this arcade build.

I will be uploading the plans soon however i am away this weekend, the inside of the machine will be featuring a wind tunnel with a Corsair theme i know its hard to picture but i can assure you it is going to be amazing.

Here is what arrived in the mail today just as i was walking out the door for a family trip, i quickly ran back inside to take a photo but!!!

16 x 120 SP120 Performance Fans

1 x corsair H110i

The Wind Tunnel should be able to move 1000 + Cubic feet per minute of air, it will be using a custom as always fan controller system allowing the system to gain maximum airflow.

20130712_195049.jpg

So its come to that fun time now, CHEMICALS!!!

Not a fan of buying etchent so i make my own, makes a board in about 20 seconds!

Its time to get ready to make my HV bridge once it is completed i will then build the PIC master control PCB.

The HV bridge is what will allow the PIC to drive the motor using a series of transistors.

This allows me to provide the motor with its own voltage and control its direction by a separate lower voltage.

DSC06998.JPG

DSC07000.JPG

DSC07001.JPG

DSC07003.JPG

DSC07013.JPG

DSC07010.JPG

DSC07017.JPG

DSC07020.JPG

Hey, no i doubt corsair monitor the forums, i submitted an application and plan to them

I have designed this board that will go up on the forums along side the software for USB rotate, as you can see by the design it allows room for people to get in there and add flexibility to your cabinet im sure somone will come along and input some new features into the PIC.

As you can see the PIC has an extra 15+ controllable ports, these can be input or output pwm etc etc.

DSC07044.JPG

DSC07046.JPG

pcb.png

So i have fine tuned and changed the layout a little,

I have added some things for future expansion so the device can drive LCD screens control relays PWM and support inputs (if you press a switch do something like for example have 1 switch to turn on the computer aswell as a screen power baord etc etc.

I have it up and running, currently i am just messing with a few things, working out mounts and other goodies and the Wind-tunnels controller board.

Total cost of parts is about $12.00

I will upload more information on it as i near the end of the project so it has some decent beta testing.

2013+-+1

Hey everyone, so i thought i would show a little video of the USB rotating system controlling a motor.

Its very poorly setup on the bench for a quick demo.

Its all starting to come together, will start to work on the other circuits now.

Still on the todo list.

• Create Fan PWM Circuit
  • Create Degauss Circuit
  • Refine counter Circuit
  • Etch them onto a PCB
  • Mount Monitor chain and motor

4VAcPwDQPCE

So it was time for an upgrade, I have always used the iron method for my PCB and the results are okay, but I am doing more and more PCB fab these days for my small business so it was time to step up the game.

I went out and brought a laminator, now these on their own off the shelf are not very good, they do not generate the required heat.

I went out and brought one from a local store and did a quick google to see if anyone else had done a mod on this particular laminator and just so happens a fellow Aussie had done this!

here is a link to it if anyone wants it.

http://ultrakeet.com.au/write-ups/superFuserV2

This modification only took a few minutes and man was it worth it, the results speak for themselves.

This is my effort using standard glossy photo paper.

20130723_213228.jpg

The mod itself.

20130723_131138.jpg

The finished Product

20130723_213302.jpg

Now for the fun part!!!

PWM.png

PWM+Sch.png

What is this exactly, well I think there will be many a people out there that will love this,

This is a special fan controller, it will convert a 4pin fan header on your mother board (PWM) to control a large number of 3pin fans from the 1 input up to a large number of amps!

It has reverse polarity protection for people that shouldn’t be doing it, and then it also has added protection for the MB just on the off chance something unusual happens.

This will allow you to be able to control a network of fans as one fan, and it will also make use of the RPM wire, (please note only use one of the fans in the network for the RPM they will all be the same!)

If you dont want or have a MB to get a PWM signal you can make a simple one using a 555 timer and a pot to create the adjustable signal pic etc etc)

This makes management nice and easy so you can control those noisy fans have them quiet as and ramp on when needed via temperature control.

It also has two pots that will allow you to change the amplification of the signal.

This is my secret weapon for the wind tunnel, as I will have the fans installed in blocks of 5, they will represent one fan on the MB and I will be able to adjust each block accordingly to gain maximum airflow when needed as well as minimal noise when it’s not needed!

The printable version is posted for download enjoy!

This site doesn't let me upload you can download it here

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131026.80.html

Did you notice how many stalkers you have? Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

haha thanks mate!!

So I have been away for a little, but that’s not to say work has stopped!

I was having issues using the Asus rampage trying to get a driver functioning correctly, and I figured the time had come to push on to some more powerful hardware.

However the biggest issue with upgrading is I have to stick with hardware that is supported by Windows XP64, this is due to dirext-X issues with Windows 7 using hacked drivers.

I7-920 with 6gb Tripple channel memeory with one hell of a board, it features additional NB cooling as well as a factory water block!

Currently the unit has only be slapped together to run a burn in and test, once OS is setup and installed I will see how far it can be pushed! Very exciting!!!

20130729_201028.jpg

Big thanks to Sainter4Life form OCAU for assistance in the hardware!

Moving on I have started to work on the cabinet

Currently I have not done much, just testing that everything fits and making last minute adjustments.

The cabinet will be divided into 2 sections, featuring a door for each.

Now this might sound silly, but this cabinet is for my daughter and safety is first always.

The top cabinet will be locked with a key, sealing the exposed CRT tube away from little hands and keeping all high voltage confined to one zone.

The below cabinet will have the computer sealed inside the wind tunnel, this will be shielded by Perspex and wood, sorry cannot give away too much here don’t want to spoil the surprises in store!

Here are some pictures of how it is shaping up, please note this is just rough everything will be gone over however everything needs its place before the tidy up will go ahead.

20130726_221226.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey there fellow arcade followers! i am back and have put a full day in today and planning on another full day tomorrow!

So where to start.

I Guess a good place is the new addition to the cabinet... Yeah i know right?

what could i be doing now!

RBG Buttons to a PAC-LED64 allows every color combination fade etc.

pictures do not do it justice they are so bright colors are true it looks amazing.

20131002_233635.jpg

20131002_233710.jpg

20131002_233726.jpg

20131002_233739.jpg

Now these buttons are for Ultimarc.com they are aazing build quality but they had one massive flaw, which i think should be redesigned.

The issue is the cables that come through the bottom would get in the way of the micro switch. With careful placement you could get them to function well but after a few hours on the machine you would find a button here or there not pressing right gettting stick clicking etc, and extra pressure on the housing of the switch itself.

I found that if you drill directly through the side you are able to bring the cables through the center and two out either side and getting 100% out of the button with no chance of failure or stress on the mounting.

20131002_000124.jpg

20131002_000221.jpg

20131002_204055.jpg

Now i also have added something else... i know i know but i just have put in so much effort into this machine it needs to shine! and shine it will!!!!

Some have you may have noticed from the above pictures the joysticks look different well right you are!

Auto switching Joysticks, they switch between 4 and 8 way automatically.

20131002_204033.jpg

So now, the buttons will light up the correct color as what the game would have had, the joysticks will automatically switch to the correct location.

And the monitor will turn if needed!

So today i fully gutted the machine, and started to rewire the old wiring to be neat and safe.

I also started on working on the frame for the wind tunnel and PC case.

I could have swore i took more photos but it appears i didnt.

Will take some tomorrow!

20131116_162842.jpg

So i had a very productive day today, where to start?

I guess we will start with the monitor.

I have completed the front, i know it looks horrible but i am waiting for the glass to come and with the addition of decals and paint it will come up a treat!

I have some surprises planned in that department too but i will reveal that later.

20131117_200852.jpg

20131117_201013.jpg

Below is the machine gutted with the supports put in place for the frame.

In this picture one level is in.

20131117_144310.jpg

Here is the start of the entrance to the wind tunnel, i decided to make this out of ply instead of MDF because i am still tossing up on somthing but i wont bore you all with that.

20131117_150554.jpg

20131117_185412.jpg

Time to start working on the PC sliding insert, this will hold the PC in place and create a large amount of static pressure.

20131117_162845.jpg

20131117_164755.jpg

20131117_191523.jpg

20131117_192915.jpg

Now i am yet to finish the top level i just ran out of time, the idea will be that there will be a glass window to be able to see inside the machine, and alot of other things, but we will talk about that when we get there cant ruin the surprise now can we?

The bottom 2 fans draw in air to cool the power supplys and pull the air through the case then expell the hot air up to the next level, in that level is where the 4 fans pull air aswell to the back where another 2 fans inline with the others expell hot air up to the next level. words can not explain how much air is being pushed in this design and we are still only half way there :).

I will revel the next stage soon!

Please comment if you have anything to add.

20131117_192922.jpg

Archived