The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

making my own encoder

jrose1184

I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but I would worry about multiple keystrokes being a problem for sure!! If youre trying to avoid paying for an Ipac or a Keywiz you can always go with a zinmo I believe theyre called!! A lot cheaper but you get what you pay for!! I've used Ipac's and Keywiz's on every arcade I've built and never had any problems!! Worth the money in my opinion!!! Good luck either way you go!!

I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but I would worry about multiple keystrokes being a problem for sure!! If youre trying to avoid paying for an Ipac or a Keywiz you can always go with a zinmo I believe theyre called!! A lot cheaper but you get what you pay for!! I've used Ipac's and Keywiz's on every arcade I've built and never had any problems!! Worth the money in my opinion!!! Good luck either way you go!!

Hey Madhatter..you've been eddiefied

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi i was thinking about making my own keyboard encoder with a keyboard, has any body tryed it and does it work ok with two players hitting the keys at the same time?

I thought about doing this as well last year when I built my cabinet and decided against it because there were too many unknowns like ghosting and not to mention the time it would take to wire up and the waste of a perfectly good keyboard.....up to you but I'd suggest an iPac, I'm some glad that's what my choice was.

I maybe could understand wondering about doing this if encoders were expensive, but they aren't.

You'd spend more in time & frustration just trying to make one and be guaranteed to end up with something that only works a fraction as well.

Many people used to hack a keyboard for their controls a long time ago. Today it's just kind of silly. There are many great encoders for under $50. The xin-mo works great and cost less than $25 and comes with a wiring harness. There is a mini IPAC that comes with a wiring harness for around $50. The standard IPAC is $40 but you have to provide your owning wiring (this is probably the most common). Keywiz is also popular and around $40.

How much money will you spend on your joysticks and buttons? Do you want to connect them to a subpar controller? Your entire control of the games will depend on these pieces.

you where better of spending $20  on a KL25Z microcontroller,   

you could of had a

keymapper

LEDwiz

analog plunger controller

and more importantly

an accelerometer  to use as a nudging  input.

$20  +  $10  for the potentiometer (analog plunger input)  you could of had an all in one solution for your Pinball needs.

Spend more on the expansion boards and you could have LED and High current Flashers going on your cab for less then $100 (if you shop around)

read about the project here

https://developer.mbed.org/users/mjr/code/Pinscape_Controller/wiki/Homepage

I hope the ops meaning of making a keymapper is in the lines of making one from a micro controller or something similar.  Soldering wires to a keyboard is just beyond silly if you ask me.

Archived