The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Coin Slots

codemonkey76

I am building a cabinet and have a single coin slot. Is there a way to configure mame to accept a coin inserted for player 1 to be shared to player 2, 3 or 4. I am building a 4-player cab, but don't really want to require to have 4 coin slots?

Also I would like to be able to disconnect the coin door and have it so that would enable a shifted sequence to insert a coin, but have that sequence not function when the coin door is hooked up.

LOL. You are asking how to monetise your MAME arcade. Not really a thing that is legal technically. When it comes to multiple coin doors basically the coin mech is working as a switch. You could just wire all of the coin switches to that one mech. But in all honesty a coin mech is just a pretty thing to add to your cab and using it to make money out of MAME seems a little wrong don't you think?

Maybe use a dip switch?

How would this work?

I thought one possibility would be to have a shifted function to insert coins for each player, i.e. hold player 2 button 1 and insert coin for player 2 credit, etc. Not sure how to set this up either, but think it's probably possible?

OR some type of rotary switch like a 4-position switch, switch it to what player you want to get the coin and then insert the coin?

Just spit-balling here.

I setup mine to either use the push function of eject slot or the coin changer. Rigged up a spare button switch to it. Then ran the ground through a toggle switch. The wire switch at the bottom of the coin changer is always active. That way, you can either hit the eject button or put a coin in. If you hit the toggle, the eject doesn't work, but the coin still does. ;)

Ron

I setup mine to either use the push function of eject slot or the coin changer. Rigged up a spare button switch to it. Then ran the ground through a toggle switch. The wire switch at the bottom of the coin changer is always active. That way, you can either hit the eject button or put a coin in. If you hit the toggle, the eject doesn't work, but the coin still does. ;)

Ron

hmm, my coin eject button doesn't have a switch associated with it

hmm, my coin eject button doesn't have a switch associated with it

Mine doesn't either, I mounted a switch behind the eject plunger. When you press the left eject, it contacts the switch that I have wired to Coin 1 and the right eject switch is wired to Coin 2. ;)

Ron

OK, I decided to to put insert coin buttons on the control panel and a toggle switch inside the cab.

With the toggle switch set to ON, the coin door will be active and inserting a coin will put a coin in for player 1, If Player 2 Coin button is held down, then inserting a coin will insert a coin for player 2, etc, etc.

If the toggle switch is off, then each insert coin button will be functional to insert a coin... This is how I plan on wiring it to make that happen, thoughts?

post-101424-142870612865_thumb.png

I think someone mentioned this before, but Why not just configure MAME to send a key combo credit? Like on my cab I have only 1 coin door and 2 players. I have coin 2 as pressing the player 2 button then inserting a coin. Simple.

There is like a small handful of games that require a separate credit press. Simple instead of a toggle switch imo.

Interresting design :)

I think you would have to add diodes at least.

With the current design, false coin event will happen.

E.G. hold down P2 and insert coin will have following pathes:

GND -> Coin Door Toggle -> red -> Coin Door -> purple -> P2 -> pink ==> COIN 2

and

GND -> Coin Door Toggle -> red -> Coin Door -> purple -> black -> GND "juction" -> black P4 -> green ==> COIN 1

I guess it could work using a switch with 4 seperate connectors, so gnd lines are not connected to each other when Coin Door Toggle is "On"

Using online circuit simulation can be a great help in setups like these

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

Interresting design :)

I think you would have to add diodes at least.

With the current design, false coin event will happen.

E.G. hold down P2 and insert coin will have following pathes:

GND -> Coin Door Toggle -> red -> Coin Door -> purple -> P2 -> pink ==> COIN 2

and

GND -> Coin Door Toggle -> red -> Coin Door -> purple -> black -> GND "juction" -> black P4 -> green ==> COIN 1

I guess it could work using a switch with 4 seperate connectors, so gnd lines are not connected to each other when Coin Door Toggle is "On"

Using online circuit simulation can be a great help in setups like these

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

Ahh, dammit you're right.

I actually tested this and had it working... before i added the toggle switch, which f's everything up...

post-101424-142870612871_thumb.png

any idea on how to add the toggle switch to this to turn off the coin door and just have the insert coin buttons function normally?

I think someone mentioned this before, but Why not just configure MAME to send a key combo credit? Like on my cab I have only 1 coin door and 2 players. I have coin 2 as pressing the player 2 button then inserting a coin. Simple.

There is like a small handful of games that require a separate credit press. Simple instead of a toggle switch imo.

yup that's what I said pages back lol its so simple takes seconds to do....

CodeMonkey,

Here is how I have my 2 player coin door wired:

post-48498-142870612873_thumb.png

The P1 & P2 Coin are the "Insert A Coin" switches at the bottom of the coin mech. The Coin Door 1 & 2 are the switches I mounted to the eject buttons at the top of the coin mech.

So I wired the ground sides of both Coin Door 1 & 2 through a switch, so when you turn the switch on, both the Coin Door 1 & 2 become "live". The P1 & P2 Coin are always "live". The switch turns on and off the "eject button" switches ground.

post-48498-142870612876_thumb.jpg

EDIT: In effect, the P1 Coin and Coin Door 1 are wired in parallel, except the ground for the Coin Door 1 goes through a switch. The same would apply for P2, P3 and P4. All the Coin Door grounds wired through the same switch, then to ground.

All in all, I really like the effect. And when I eventually get real coin mechs, i'll have to re-mount the eject button switches.

Hope this helps,

Ron

I thought a simple method would be to have the ground wire for all coin buttons pass through a single toggle switch. In one position the buttons close the circuit normally when pressed. In the other position you have to hold the button and insert a coin and the coin mech closes the circuit.

I thought a simple method would be to have the ground wire for all coin buttons pass through a single toggle switch. In one position the buttons close the circuit normally when pressed. In the other position you have to hold the button and insert a coin and the coin mech closes the circuit.

closes which circuit though, I have one mech for 4 players?

diagram?

Archived