Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Kega Fusion and Windows 8

Trnzaddict

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My cab is currently running Windows 7. I was going to update it to 8.1, but after this... I might just leave it be.

You can't choose directx anything in the emulator. I wonder if 8 has Xp mode like win 7 did?

Yea windows 8.1 has backwards compatibility from win98-8.

Fur, just for the sake of curiosity...run the Direct x run times installer from June 2010...the one that installs all older dx dll files for apps that need it, then try the fixes again.

Zerojay and Deadly must have something different on their setups concerning Direct X than we do. What I have no idea.

I think I might of opened up a can of worms for 8 users I have a feeling anyone who reads this thread is going to have the urge to go play systems that use Fusion. Sorry guys but this is why it is equally important to play your setups as it is configuring them.

I'll plug away at this tomorrow as I have the day off. If It works on some pc and not others there IS a fix it's just a matter of finding it.

Yeah the DirectX mega pack of doom might do the trick. Worth a shot.

ThinApp. Oh god no. That idea is just full of wrong.

If by "so full of wrong" you mean "so full of awesome" i'd agree. :D

This is what I do at work all day - come up with whacky ideas to complex enterprise level problems. Some work. Some don't. I almost broke one of my previous managers when I suggest we build a "heartbeat over SMS" network to support Microsoft failure clusters (as a joke obviously). :P "can you hear me now?"

Yeah. And I did the same sorta thing. And I now look back at major banks that are still using middleware adapters that are over 30 years old and no one knows how to fix but they just work and can't be replaced without major problems. Love it. In fact some of those things still have tractor fed dot matrix printers that still work and still have to be used. LOL.

Save your ThinApp as a last resort.

Well - you have to remember what concept you're talking about here.

Hyperspin --> Hyperlaunch-3 (to possibly four or five other apps - vjoy, daemon tools, 7z, etc) --> Emulator

Hyperspin --> LEDBlinky (or whatever you use)

Middleware is what we do here. To the extreme at times. :)

FIXED!!!!

I used the mirror link for the modified Direct Draw and put it in the Fusion folder. 60.3 fps with no drops!

Fur, make sure vsync is enabled.

Thankyou again Zerojay. This thread will be extremely useful to a lot of people making the jump to 8 here! I am deleting my Windows 7 partition.

TBH I was looking to register over at Eidolons Inn to post this fix as well for people because eventually we will all be on 8 at one time or another but it seems there is no where to register.

Ok, got mine working now too, with a few caveats.

1) My main PC (Core i5 machine) has dual displays. I had to disabled the secondary monitor. With the secondary monitored enabled it does the "flip flop" between full screen / windowed mode constantly.

2) The DirectX 2010 install didn't fix it. The linked DDRAW.DLL (for 8.1) did fix it.

3) In full screen mode - it runs at 60 FPS - BUT if you try and access the context menus (right click) it kills it. So you have to configure everything in Windowed mode, then flip it to full screen mode and LEAVE IT. :)

1) My main PC (Core i5 machine) has dual displays. I had to disabled the secondary monitor. With the secondary monitored enabled it does the "flip flop" between full screen / windowed mode constantly.

2) The DirectX 2010 install didn't fix it. The linked DDRAW.DLL (for 8.1) did fix it.

3) In full screen mode - it runs at 60 FPS - BUT if you try and access the context menus (right click) it kills it. So you have to configure everything in Windowed mode, then flip it to full screen mode and LEAVE IT. :)

Direct draw will be the death of me. You said ""the linked" where is that link for later reference?

Thanks for taking the time to find that. Very interesting.

Direct draw will be the death of me. You said ""the linked" where is that link for later reference?

Thanks for taking the time to find that. Very interesting.

My bad

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=99477&post=1202630

*slaps self*

Zerojay linked it in post #20

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?30615-Kega-Fusion-and-Windows-8&p=291318&viewfull=1#post291318

Its Option #2, although it only works if you have a single display running (at least for me)

Very bizarre problem, with an equally bizarre fix.

This fix isn't only for fusion though. A lot of older games use direct draw. This fix could remedy the same type of slowdown that may happen in old pc games on 8.1.

I hope it doesn't fuck with HyperPause though. Will test some more tomorrow.

I have an update to the Fusion module adding Pico support, I want to push it but won't until one of you adds notes for this thread's issue. Please someone type up something for the notes summing up what to do in this thread. It's not asking much...

I have an update to the Fusion module adding Pico support, I want to push it but won't until one of you adds notes for this thread's issue. Please someone type up something for the notes summing up what to do in this thread. It's not asking much...

Note for Windows 8/8.1 users. There is an issue that some users have reported that locks fullscreen fps to 33.3. This is due to the new way 8 emulates Direct X for older applications. If You are running into this issue, please download the modified ddraw.dll from http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=99477&post=1202630 and drop it in your Fusion folder. Please be aware the modified dll may break the fullscreen options menu so configuring the emulator in window mode is recommended if you are running into this issue.

Archived