Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How to build an arcade, and which is the best system to invest into?

Quantumman2010

Well I still get the impression that it's a very grey area, and is really left up to the individual. Using a current title is one thing for sure...using classic Donkey Kong, Street Fighter and Megaman is another.

Buying art for the machine from a company is the same thing really. I can either buy it from them, or I can use the HD art from Hyperspin, and some plexi-glass and make it myself.

Is that illegal? I would say not because other companies are doing it, and I want to do it myself verses paying them.

Am I wrong or am I right. There can be only one answer...

I haven't "crushed" anyone for posting links to rom sites or drive sellers yet, but it's definitely not something we tolerate (I just removed a rom link yesterday). If someone posts one of those links I remove it, tell them it's not allowed and that's usually the end of it. We all make mistakes and most people are apologetic about it, but I do make note of those who do. If I see them do it again, there will be problems and you definitely can't claim ignorance that time.

Maybe someone else should check on them and make sure they didn't have an "accident", "Agent47". (nothing to see here)

I've heard that hundreds of Korean tumbleweeds just "disappear" every night. Know anything about that?

There is nothing to buy here.  If there is a company that is selling roms ie software versions of what is housed in a chip somewhere then yeah that is illegal.  Emulators are self contained programs that the programmer can charge for as they are not responsible for what you do with them.  Jamma boards are legit as they are the real thing, joysticks, coin ops, etc are all sold to repair the real thing.

If your research pointed you to being able to put a coin mech on an arcade running mame then you have followed some very bad advice.  That is always illegal.  As to a MAME machine, they are pretty much always illegal.

Here is a link to a reddit thread that details everything as I understand it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/2h9bxj/mame_use_in_a_bar_if_i_dont_charge_for_use/

As to the backwards part, there is no Hyperspin drive.  Wherever you came up with that is not legit or allowed here.  Hyperspin is 2 zip files located in the downloads section.  They work in tandem with other software to create what you have seen on youtube or wherever.  In other words you have to set it up yourself, you do not buy it.

I bought a USB drive from a company called Hyperspin that contained 800 games.

Well I still get the impression that it's a very grey area, and is really left up to the individual. Using a current title is one thing for sure...using classic Donkey Kong, Street Fighter and Megaman is another.

Buying art for the machine from a company is the same thing really. I can either buy it from them, or I can use the HD art from Hyperspin, and some plexi-glass and make it myself.

Is that illegal? I would say not because other companies are doing it, and I want to do it myself verses paying them.

It is a grey area.  Sure.  Could you do what you are wanting to do?  Yes.  Would you ever have any issues?  Probably not.  Is it a good idea to ask legal advice from a bunch of random people on a site like this?  Definitely not.

Just because someone else is doing something... that does not mean it is right or even legal.  Most places do not have coin mechs on mame machines.

I bought a USB drive from a company called Hyperspin that contained 800 games.

Well not called HyperSpin as this place is the only HyperSpin but I think I know what place you are talking about.  That is not affiliated at all.  And what they do is illegal as hell.

HAHAHa Agent47 to the rescue, quick as a cat.

the answer is yes,  but some companies enforce their trademarks others don't

a user here was selling a Fix it Felix conversion kit (I'm not 100% on this but)  I think he got a seize and desist letter from Disney

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/684-wreck-it-ralph-fix-it-felix-jr-cab-project/page-1?hl=fix-it-felix

so he offered his artwork files;  free to download.

I"m no lawyer but I don't see how he can be charged with anything illegal if he is no longer selling anything.

My aplogies sir...you all have the same style font and name. Forgive my confusion.

It is because people are taking all the hard work from this website + community and making a set up with it. Then they make a bunch of copies of it and sell it using the name "HyperSpin" since that is the name of the front end being used. 

I've only been here a few months and I've seen a few people buy a drive and blame this community for something that's wrong with it. NEVER buy a drive buddy. Everyone is so helpful here, that you can do it yourself. Honestly, once I am finished with my build, I will probably of had more fun building it and tearing my hair out on the set up and always improving it than actually playing it lol.  

As was stated multiple times in this thread by multiple people, and I replied to another thread of yours:

WE DON'T SELL HYPERSPIN, DRIVES, OR ROMS. THE COMPANIES THAT DO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH US IN ANY WAY AND WE DON'T CONDONE OR SUPPORT THEM.

Can we call this "busting a CAPs in someone"?

As in "Agent47 busted a CAPs in someone".

Archived