Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Android) Working Systems List

thatman84

I generally recommend sticking with the official OS updates.   The benefits of root are not significant for most emulation needs.

If you want full access to retroarch cores and config files used by hyperspin launches you ABSOLUTELY want to be rooted.  Anything hyperspin uses with retroarch is all root access only.  Its a complete pain! After finally rooting I can't recommend it enough!  Makes life way easier.  I can try new builds / nightly builds and if I don't like it I can delete everything and copy all my settings back in without having to set it all up again.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Root is a must. For the regular user maybe not so much. I need my Sixaxis Controller app for my 4 Dual Shock 4 controllers to work, which in turn work for my OpenBOR gaming, while giving me touchpad mouse usage. I also test out overclocking commands and other high level stuff, but that's just me.

First thing i did was Oem Unlock and root. Now im going to look into a stable over clock app like Tegra Overclocker but for the shield TV.

i absolutely love it, especially for fighting games. the DS3 is the worst Dual Shock ever made. It used to hurt my hands to use that dpad. They are literally night and day in response, sensitivity and feel.

The moment i played with a DS4, i went out that day and bought 2, didn't even own a ps4 yet lol.

That with Ds4 wrapper on my PC and it was perfect.

This convo is great I have been an advocate for keeping myself I rooted but always wanted to root for the controllers and retroarch cores folder+ retroarch.cfg

Is there anything your aware of that will automatically work once you are rooted without you knowing as a newbie. My concern as someone that's wants to help guide people and being a newbie myself if I root and say something works without root as I understand I can't easily swap I will mis inform people (which already happens sometimes!)

You guys should really have a little go at getting some guides into the tuts section. It's bare! Hit iggy up he is helpful but doesn't have a shield/compatible droid device to test on which is a bummer.

Well being rooted requires SuperSU to be installed. And before any root actions take place your prompted if you want to grant access to perform that action by SuperSU. 

Just do do anything crazy on your box without having a backup first, like flashing different custom roms, or making edits to important config files. Always have a backup and even the Default stock Rom somewhere.

While i've never had any personal issues while being rooted, doesn't mean i can't delete important items by mistake in my root folders.

But this will open the door to a ton of amazing apps, tools and files that you never knew existed.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry i've been away due to moving and performances. But im back!

My mupen cores always worked fine in retorarch while rooted. I dont have any issue at all.

I think that might have been in response to me saying we would like access to your mupen core as I don't see anyone else mentioning it haha.  Its not that there is an issue with mupen cores on root... its that if you want to root then you have to unlock your oem first which will factory reset your shield.  The latest version of the mupen core does not work on the shield and retroarch doesn't archive anything... WHICH IS INSANE! but anyway so if anyone rooted then they would lose their working mupen core.  The beauty of you being rooted with a working version is you could actually access the core file and share it with everyone.

Doesn't really matter anymore now though as Glupen with GLES3 in my opinion blows the doors off the mupen core.  At least my experience from using it on windows.  I never got to use the mupen core on android because by the time I got on the scene they had broken it.

Sorry i've been away due to moving and performances. But im back!

My mupen cores always worked fine in retorarch while rooted. I dont have any issue at all.

I just dont,understand why this is the only core that does this. Won't save or let me access menu in hyperspin

I just dont,understand why this is the only core that does this. Won't save or let me access menu in hyperspin

Does your mupen core do the same thing from Retroarch itself?

I would say delete your mupen config file and try again.

I think mine only works if the menu driver is set to rgui so check when you load it again that your override or per core config reflects that.

If it works in retroarch then it's your mupen config settings that Hyperspin uses that are faulty I guess.

Does your mupen core do the same thing from Retroarch itself?

I would say delete your mupen config file and try again.

I think mine only works if the menu driver is set to rgui so check when you load it again that your override or per core config reflects that.

If it works in retroarch then it's your mupen config settings that Hyperspin uses that are faulty I guess.

ok I'll check later thanks. I think I have it on vulkin

I have mine on GL and mine also does this.  I don't really care... as I don't want anyone accessing retroarch but it is odd.  I have the same menu driver "xmb" selected for all my other cores and "GL".  Everything else works fine.  Glupen though crashes but only when I am launching from hyperspin.  It works perfectly fine if I launch it from retroarch and thats even if I load the hyperspin config file so it has nothing to do with the config and everything to do with hyperspin / retroarch interacting with one another.  

• 2 weeks later...

works fine for me

i assume it stooped working, as my whole team has tried it. in its entirety and it can confirm it does not work.

seems like most of MAME (Arcade) core doesn't work. 

maybe can shed some light on the ini file. or what your doing to "make it work"

thanks

Archived