Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Zebs Virtual Output Kit

p0giewan

Ordered my cab kit from Virtuapin today and I'm trying to figure out the electrical side of things.

I was using bill55's excellent shopping list as a base:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?17455-Indiana-Jones-and-the-Pinball-Crusade-%2846-28-15%29-build-project

Then I came across zebs boards from a link in the forum and saw his virtual output kit:

http://www.zebsboards.com/index.php/feedback-control-devices/virtual-output-kit-detail

I really like the look of this at it seems to power everything from an ATX supply as in LEDS, shaker motor, strobes, knocker etc. So I guess my questions as a complete pinball cab newbie are:

1) Am I interpreting that correctly? I was thinking of powering with 2 x ATX supplies (1 for computer and 1 powering this setup) Would I need any other power supplies and do I still need a whole bunch or resistors for the LED's?

2) The site also has shaker/gear motor combo. I looked at another shaker motor over at www.wolfsoft.de which had some delicate looking soldering onto one of the LEDWiz pins going to the speed controller. Would this require the same soldering?

If you go with the virtual output kit you will need a second PSU dedicated to powering the toys. In theory, you could Y split the mainboard connector of the computer psu but I wouldn't advise it as you would no longer have the toys isolated from the computer and any failure of the toys could blow the computer as well. You could also cause 'brown-outs' in the mainboard where the toys would be taking power away from the computer.

Wolf's ledwiz mod is done so that there is a (+) voltage signal for the input on the dual-h bridge. There is no need for a similar mod with mine if run through a booster board.

Thanks,

Zeb

I think I have pretty much most of what I need ordered. Got my DMD today, playfield screen arrives on Friday and I think everything else shouldn't be more than a couple weeks out at this point. After so much time thinking about it and researching stuff I'm kinda stoked to actually get this thing started... still a little overwhelmed but stoked nonetheless ;)

I'm just waiting on a large number of LEDWizes arrive and then I'll be shipping out the orders. Those waiting on orders without the wiz will be shipping early this week.

Anyone that feels overwhelmed or is stuck in their wiring is always welcome to contact me by email. I'm afraid that I'm not able to regularly check in here or respond to pm's at the moment so email is the best way.

[email protected]

Please forgive me for my noobness (is that a word?) would I just need to connect flashers, cree leds, solonoids and the like to the virtual output kit and that's it? No blowing myself up or setting the house on fire due to my zero knowledge of electrics. Just strip the wire back and insert into the screwdown terminal?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Zeb could probably answer that one better than me although I'm not far off finding out. My experience thus far is with a Mame cab which seems to be childs play compared to a pinball cab with all the toys. My electrical knowledge is also limited and I also would rather get through the experience without frying myself. My goal is to build the cab, with toys, as cleanly and as simply as possible while still having all the feedback and lights etc.

I have a stack of boxes ready to go and am currently awaiting only the cab kit itself which has shipped (should get it towards the end of next week) and these boards which by the sounds of things also shouldn't be far away and I'll start a build thread. Looking at the zebs board layouts I'm thinking the only thing I am going to have add in is fuses.

Oh.. and your arcade cab looks freakin awesome :adore:

Zeb could probably answer that one better than me although I'm not far off finding out. My experience thus far is with a Mame cab which seems to be childs play compared to a pinball cab with all the toys. My electrical knowledge is also limited and I also would rather get through the experience without frying myself. My goal is to build the cab, with toys, as cleanly and as simply as possible while still having all the feedback and lights etc.

I have a stack of boxes ready to go and am currently awaiting only the cab kit itself which has shipped (should get it towards the end of next week) and these boards which by the sounds of things also shouldn't be far away and I'll start a build thread. Looking at the zebs board layouts I'm thinking the only thing I am going to have add in is fuses.

Oh.. and your arcade cab looks freakin awesome :adore:

Thanks for your comment :)

As you said, an arcade cab is child's play, just plug and play, where as a vpin cab is a whole new ball game :/

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

this is my wiring diagram just to show how easy it is to connect up all of the toys with zebus excellent boards.

rms8.png

not all of the connections are drawn, just the basics, but you get the general idea.

hope this helps

Mike.

Any chance someone could help me with my shopping list please, I'm going to order from zebsboards, I need to know what I need as I am a noob re a vpin. I am going to have all toys in my cab so need advice on which boards to buy. I don't want to order more than once due to the cost of postage and import tax to uk. I see he sells the leds and everything :)

1 x Virtual output kit

1 x 350ma RGB Leds

1 x shaker/gear motor combo

1 x ledwiz when in stock

Anything else?

Any chance someone could help me with my shopping list please, I'm going to order from zebsboards, I need to know what I need as I am a noob re a vpin. I am going to have all toys in my cab so need advice on which boards to buy. I don't want to order more than once due to the cost of postage and import tax to uk. I see he sells the leds and everything :)

1 x Virtual output kit

1 x 350ma RGB Leds

1 x ledwiz when in stock

Anything else?

you either need 1x led light bar or 1x (5pk) 350ma RGB leds.

if you go with the leds then you will also need to add heat sinks and flasher caps (from another vendor). whereas the light bar has these already installed

The 350ma leds don't really need a heatsink per se, you can use thermal adhesive and glue them to a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" x whatever length aluminum flatbar and it works fine. Nice diagram Mike, glad it's all working out for you.

@Pogies - no fuses are required with the boards.

1 x Virtual output kit

1 x 350ma RGB Leds

1 x ledwiz when in stock

Anything else?

I sourced a lot of my stuff from Bill55's list from the first post of this thread with the exception of the Virtual output kit and the shaker/gear motor combo I ordered from Zeb. I went with the Cree LED's and heatsinks which came from the same source on that list. The flasher caps and Knocker/Strike Plate also came from a common source.

The only other things I would add to your list that haven't already been mentioned would be contactors and strobes if you are going to use them. I ordered the same Siemens Contactor 3RH1140-1BB40 which I sourced on Ebay. Same with the strobes. The only thing I had any issues getting hold of was the PinDMD2 board which doesn't seem to be available anytime soon from Virtuapin. Ordered this from wolfsoft in Germany but payed a premium on it.

I hear you on the import tax thing. I moved to the US about 7 years ago and thankfully it doesn't seem to an issue here. Ordered from Germany and also Mame Cab parts from Ultimarc in the UK and I've never been asked to pay import taxes.

Archived