Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Android Retroarch Mess/Mame Hyperspin set up Tutorial for beginners (Play different systems not found in the core updater list) 

sonkun

thatman84 I thought I'd attempt to make an updated version based off of your Atari 5200 tutorial.

Tested on:

Nvidia Shield TV (2015 16GB version) OTA 5.0

Retroarch MAME 0.182 core (Pre warning: As of this posting on this version of mame the d-pad does not work but instead is relocated to the left analog. The guys at Libretro are already aware of this issue and I could not reconfig my gamepad in anyway to get the d-pad to work. All other buttons work though. One trick around this is to open Retroarch and go to player 1 bindings and re map the left analog then exit Retroarch.)

Retroarch MESS 2014 0.159 790dca5 core (The d-pad seems to work on the few systems I tried like Neo Geo CD so this core may be the better option to use until the mame core is fixed.)

Preperations

Step 1: Download mame for PC (if you already have mame hash folders or can download them seperately from somewhere then skip to step 3). Retroarch for Android is currently up to version 0.182 as of this posting so get that version. You can find it here

Step 2: After installing mame and extracting it to a destination of your choice you'll see a hash folder.

Mame hash folder.png

Step 3:  Create a "mame" and "mess2014" folder within your Retroarch system folder which can be found on your Internal Storage in Android>data>com.retroarch>files>system( If you don't see a system folder then create one as well). After creating your mame folder, copy the hash folder that you just extracted and paste it into your newly created Retroarch system mame and mess2014 folders. Here's an example pic of how I have my folders:

ES File Explorer_20170215_070942.png

ES File Explorer_20170215_082517.png

ES File Explorer_20170215_082527.png

Step 4: I believe Retroarch sets your "System/BIOS" directory by default to your system folder but if it doesn't you can set it manually by going to Android>data>com.retroarch>files>system and then hit  <use this directory>. It's also a good idea to put your bios folder in there to have everything together (optional). Also if you have an ext hard drive and want to save space on your device you can move the whole "com.retroarch" folder to a destination of your choice, as long as you have your Retroarch "System/BIOS" directory pointed to the "system" folder where ever you choose to move it to. Make sure that your configuration is set to "Save Configuration on Exit" and then exit retroarch. May be best to re enter retroarch and make sure your system/bios directory has been saved to the location you set as that's very important for retroarch to know where your mame hash folder is.

Setting up a Mess/Mame system

For this guide we're going to use Bally Astrocade as our first system to set up.

So let's say you want to add Bally Astrocade to your android Hyperspin wheel, first thing to know is that Retroarch Mess/Mame does not follow the basic Hyperspin naming pattern so your Bally Astrocade games, xml database's "game name" (will be explained as we go along) and all media (box art, carts, game wheels and videos) will have to be renamed according to the abbreviated naming that Bally Astrocade uses in the mame hash folder, in this case the xml is labeled as "astrocde" (It can get tricky trying to find a system's abbreviated name in there but most are easy to find or you can refer to this guide using the combination Ctrl/f on your keyboard to type in the system you're looking for which will not only bring you to the system you want but also have its abbreviated spelling in the "Name" column along with other information in the other columns).  

If you look in your mame hash folder and open the astrocde xml you'll notice any game on the list has a comepletely different naming in it's "software name" to it's "description" name. You'll have to rename all of your games in your Hyperspin Bally Astrocade xml (and any other system you set up) exactly how it is in the mame hash game system xml's software name, (*software name* is basically *game name* in any Hyperspin system xml's). So for example we'll use the game "Astro Battle". You need to use the "softeware name" astrobat" and copy that name over to your hyperspin xml and replace "Astro Battle (USA)" with *astrobat*. Basically you want this:

example1.png

and put that where this naming is:

example2.png

Every game on your Hyperspin database game system xml needs to be renamed like that but fortunately there's an easier way. A member by the name of Phulshof has created a Hyperspin ready MAME/MESS 0.182 XML database pack with all games already renamed which can be downloaded here. After extracting the pack look in the "MESS 0.182" folder for the system you want (in this case astrocde). It's best to use the "no clones" xml's to avoid having games on your hyperspin list that simply will not work so assuming you already have a hyperspin Bally Astrocade database folder ready, copy the "astrocde_no_clones" xml over and rename it to "Bally Astrocade".

Sidenote: Trying to copy over a xml from the mame hash folder and renaming it to match your hyperspin database (for example, taking the "astrocde" xml and renaming it to Bally Astrocade and placing it in your Hyperspin database folder) will not work. Hyperspin can not read the mame hash xml's which is the reason why we're using Phulshof's renamed Hyperspin ready xml's.

Now that you have a working database that's ready the next thing you'll need to rename is your emulator folder (or whichever folder you'll use to place your roms). The rom folder needs to be named after the mame hash system name so name it "astrocde". In this folder you must place all bios files (zipped) along with all of your roms (all roms have to be zipped). Sample pic below (I highlighted the bios file):

example3.png

In your settings ini make sure to have your rom path set to the emulator folder where your roms/bio are, fill in your rom extension line with zip and 7z and of course set your exe and parameters to either the mame or the mess2014 that you choose to use. Sample pic below:

Mame settings:

ES File Explorer_20170214_191245.png

Mess settings:

ES File Explorer_20170215_071234.png

Also here's another sample pic of how I have one of my media folders (videos) named using the mame/mess hash folder xml's "game name" titles for Bally Astrocade. Remember that all of your media files (boxart, carts, game wheels and videos) need to be renamed in this style for any system you set up:

ES File Explorer_20170214_191324.png

Now that you have your bios placed where it needs to be and your settings is set all that's left is to rename all of your media (boxart, carts, game wheels and videos) and test out some games. Ideally it's a good idea to test a game through retroarch  just to see if the game starts there first. If a game loads through retroarch then that means it will load through hyperspin as long as all of your settings and files are named correctly and placed where they need to be. You should also check the following settings if games don't start in your core's Quick Menu>Options:

Enable  Softlists: On

Softlist automatic media type: On

Boot to BIOS: Off

Boot from CLI: Off

You won't be able to access those options unless thee core is running a game so run any other game you have that works to get access to the options. Afterwards save core over rides in the Quick Menu and then exit Retroarch.

I'm currently working on an ongoing project with thatman84 to rename as many system media files (boxart, carts, game wheels and movies) as I can for use in your Hyperspin wheel. You can find some already completed and available for download in thatman84's emumovies fpt folder in /Upload Here/_Other/Thatman84_HSAndroid to try out, for a list of systems already done you can check hereAlso if anyone knows a faster way to rename multiple files that have the same name but placed in different folders to one name please let me know, I'll be able to complete more system media folders faster that way which would mean more obscure systems can be added to android hyperspin which would mean a win-win for everyone. Also anyone is welcome to join and help in this project.

Additionally it's always a good idea to check this list before attempting to try out a new system to see if it even works through Mess/Mame first. Green light means it works, red mean it doesn't, yellow I guess is a 50/50 chance.

Also all are welcome to help change, edit and help simplify this tutorial to make it as easy as possible to set up a system.

Hi,

Just tried this and no luck, says retroarch has stopped every time it tries to load - Bally Astrocade using mame core on Retroarch on new NVS 2017 version

Is this correct or should I use mess2014 core ?

Maybe put your settings info here so we can check against it ?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, cataclysm67 said:

in retroarch when i start a game it gets to loading screen then says retroarch has stopped

Made a little edit to the tutorial and added a pic of my settings which I did forget to mention the first time around. See if that pic will help you out. Also make sure your bios is in that rom folder and that the rom folder is named  astrocde

Hmm, I just did a test right now through retroarch stand alone and I got into the game. I'm not sure what could be causing your problem. One way a game will not start for sure is if you don't have that mame hash folder in your retroarch system folder, that's an absolute must and also have your retroarch "system/bios" directory pointed to where you have have your retroarch system folder which is  Android>data>com.retroarch>files>system and then hit <use this directory>

12 hours ago, cataclysm67 said:

Thanks, yes mine is the same but still loads, then black screen then retroarch has stopped

Made a few more edits to the tutorial. Also I'm curious if you managed to get it working. If so that will also let me know if this tutorial is useful.

Hi,

Still not working. I have all folders as you have stated and pointed RetroArch system/bios to this folder

In bios what files go in there ? for example Bally Astrocade. I thought astrocde bios went in with the roms ? I have put it in bios and roms folders

Your bios folder is for all your other systems, for mess/mame you really just need to have the "astrocde" bios in the same folder with your roms although I pace bios for Mess systems in there as well cause why not. The fact that you couldn't get the game to start not even in retroarch can mean a few things. You didn't place/set everything where they need to be or it could possibly be a bad or outdated rom perhaps. Mame is constanly updated their roms and sometimes the old roms won't work with a newer version of Mame. Maybee try fetching a different rom and try that out. There are Mame/Mess ready rom packs out there (Google is your friend) and always make sure everything is placed/set where it needs to be.

i just used the bally astrocade romset I have working on my pc version of Hyperspin

What romset should I look for to get it to work on mame core for RetroArch NVS

I have MAME 0.182 romset + chd's and that works fine with RetroArch, I just wanted to see if other systems like Bally Astrocade would work too

Check pm. And Bally definitrly works. Maybe I can get a better idea of your set up if you don't mind posting some pics? That's what I did trying to get my New Geo CD set up working and a member here saw exactly what I was doing wrong and I got it fixed and working instantly. I've never used the PC version of Retroarch so I don't know how similar/different it is to set up on that.

You need the 0.182 software list roms to match the hash file. (You can get away with older ones so long as the CRC's and names match what's in the hash file.

you should have the 0.182 hash file 

make sure you have the MAME core options set correctly.

software list enabled

auto detect rom type.

boot to bios OFF

Boot to command line OFF

@cataclysm67

can you drop a couple of screenshots

2 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

You need the 0.182 software list roms to match the hash file. (You can get away with older ones so long as the CRC's and names match what's in the hash file.

you should have the 0.182 hash file 

make sure you have the MAME core options set correctly.

software list enabled

auto detect rom type.

boot to bios OFF

Boot to command line OFF

@cataclysm67

can you drop a couple of screenshots

Nice, I need to add all that information to the tutorial, everything counts.

Still no luck , maybe it's because I have latest 2017 version of Nvidia shield Tv 

on another note, I seem to have D pad working on MAME 0.182 core on RA

Just go to bindings and change analog settings for player 1 to D pad and exit as usual.

now both analog and D pad work for MAME, tried puckman and Raiden and both work fine.

3 hours ago, cataclysm67 said:

Still no luck , maybe it's because I have latest 2017 version of Nvidia shield Tv 

on another note, I seem to have D pad working on MAME 0.182 core on RA

Just go to bindings and change analog settings for player 1 to D pad and exit as usual.

now both analog and D pad work for MAME, tried puckman and Raiden and both work fine.

Ah, I was changing the bindings within the core itself and for some reason that wasn't working. Once I changed the bindings in the main Retroarch option bindings worked. Nice, I'll update the turotial with that information.

On another note I just deleted and reinstalled retroarch. Was playing around with some options trying to get mess2014 to start through hyperspin then all of a sudden I couldnt load a game both through mess AND mame. Tried to put the settings back to the way the were in the core config ini but they weren't even saved for some reason. Got fed up and just started fresh, did the config trick right away and gained some new info in the process. Mess2014 now works through hyperspin but now I can't get any games to start through RA stand alone with both the mess and mame cores so I think I just put myself in the same boat as you lol.

Edit: Nvm, I forgot after you do the config trick you have to set your system/bios directory again. You should upload some screenshots so we can see how your set up looks. That will speed this whole thing up

Archived