HyperSync, HyperList and FTP are now back online ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badboo

Sega Saturn stopped working on Retroarch

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have updated Retroarch to version 1.7.xx (don't remember well), an I noted that Sega Saturn stopped work on RA and looking at the notes on Rocketlauncher, it says that the developers stopped supporting Daemon tools or whatsoever.  And I have found on reddit some people mentioning the same issue with latest RA builds, but no answer yet.

Has anyone had this issue with Sega saturn?

There is SSF but I just liked the way I had Sega saturn on RA. 

I feel like this is the issue with updating these softwares, they are unreliable at differing versions when you have everything just so.

It's always something.

Seems like the best bet is get everything right at certain versions and then just leave everything forever.

HyperSpin breaking with the latest version of windows is a good example.

I feel like I went to a lot of trouble to get everything just so for a version of mame only to find out there seems to be some bug regarding how it saves settings, so yeh looking forward to trying to tackle that.

Can you at least roll back to an earlier version of RA? Or even leave a secondary install just for saturn?

I feel you on that!, i was happy with my sega saturn setup and now this :unhappy:

i got RA 1.4 (from simply austin youtube videos) but still didnt work. I think that version is too old run it properly. 

Also i have a RA 1.6.x (to leave as an alternative emulator) but i updated the core, and i get the same black screen. I shouldnt had updated that core but i didnt know at tha point.

You don't need DT or a virtual disc tool for RetroArch. You just need to make playlist for games with more than one disk. This will allow you to swap discs in RetroArch. I'll also mention using the old method of swapping using virtual discs caused issue with the save/load states since the save files would have different names. This isn't an issue when you use a playlist.

You can read about it here https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_saturn/

Oh i see. I have my roms on 7z, not sure if that matters, but i will check this.

I will check your link as well. Hopefully i find a solution soon

Just my 2 cents but anything that needs to be unzipped is old news. Who wants to wait for that? I converted anything that needs to be zipped into an emulator native compressed format. For Saturn you can use .chd which will be about the same size as .7z but doesn't need to be uncompresses to be used by RetroArch's Beetle Saturn core. This is also true for DC, PS, T16-CD, PC-FX, etc. when using other RetroArch Beetle cores.

The same can be done with other large games but with different file  formats that are native to their perspective emulators. PS2 and PSP can use .cso. Wii can use .wad or .wbfs. GC can use .gcz.

There is little need or reason to decompress files before use and/or use virtual discs in emulation these days. They add load time with every use and add complication when it's not needed.

This is a good thread if you have interest http://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/15576-comprehensive-list-of-natively-supported-compression-formats/ Make sure you get the latest version of conversion tools. The links in the thread are dated and the newer tools will compress smaller and faster than the old versions.

hmmm good point. I think I wont saving that much on space if I keep saturn roms on 7z format anyway.  I can try one or two games on a different format, like chd, and see how they work. 

2 hours ago, badboo said:

hmmm good point. I think I wont saving that much on space if I keep saturn roms on 7z format anyway.  I can try one or two games on a different format, like chd, and see how they work. 

You have the right idea, test a few and see what works best for you.

.chd files use compression just like .7z files. In some cases the compression is better and in some cases it's worse. Overall it's a total wash and you won't lose or gain any space worth mentioning but you won't have to unzip the files to use them, have save/load state issues or have to deal with .bin/.cue files after converting.

I should also mention that since MESS and MAME were merged a few years back Saturn games in the .chd format are part of MAME's current complete Software List CHDs set. These file won't play properly in MAME but are triple checksum verified making them some of the cleanest versions available anywhere. If you don't want to rip your own games you can download these for titles you own for the best no nonsense/fake/spyware/virus roms available. They will work in Mednafen and RetroArch (Beetle Core) emulators.

I was trying to make this work last night and nothing. Updated to RA 1.7.3, updated the mednafen core, unzip the roms to read the .cue file directly and nothing. Not even directly from RA.

I was trying to download an old build from RA website and the oldest one the keep is 1.6.7 but no cores, so it's not use for me.

Could someone share an older mednafen (beatle) core for RA, that has not been updated? Before 1.7.X would be better.

ok, coming back with an update. I was able to make it work ... finally!!!! :good:

I had to download the RA 1.6.7 version from their website and then I got the cores for the sega saturn and placed them in the system folder.

I used the beetle (mednafen) core for sega saturn by dowanloading it through the same RA 1.6.7.

If I try this same thing on 1.7.x versions, doesn't work... 

well, I am glad I got it working again,  but too bad it took me some days to figured just this out. lol 

• Similar Content

• By therourke
      I have a fully working build for Commodore Amiga now on my NVIDEA Shield (2017 model). It took me a good while to get it up and running.

I thought it might be useful to post an 'all in one place' tutorial. Thanks go to Honosuseri over in this post for convincing me it was possible.
      Commodore Amiga is infamously painful to configure on any and all emulation setups. Retroarch takes the pain out of some of this, since we don't need individual .uae files for every single game now. But there are still some hoops to jump through.
      Onto the tutorial

1. Find/setup your own Hyperspin
      Hyperspin is free and available on this very website. Install the app on your NVIDEA Shield, and compile your roms and Hyperspin setup on an appropriately sized external harddrive/USB.
      As for the ROMs, videos, wheel images and all the aesthetic stuff you need to get your setup running, you will have to source that yourselves. The Hyperspin website is good for some material, emumovies for videos, and Google and Archive dot org for everything in between. 
      For this setup I used a properly named romset for Commodore Amiga in .zip format, but you can also use .lha or .hdf format. .lha is smaller in size, but all of these run pretty much the same on Retroarch now. 
      There is no need for those pesky .uae files anymore!!!!!!!!!!
      Once you have all your roms, you will need to allocate them to the right videos and images and build your .xml database. The info for how to do this is available elsewhere on this very website. I used HyperspinChecker to do this.
      Now, onto the part where we make Hyperspin and Retroarch play nicely so you can finally play your Commodore Amiga games 
      2. WHDLoad and kickrom setup (bios file preparation)
      I obviously can't link to kickroms or WHDload.hdf and some other stuff, but Google is your friend.
      You can get kickroms legally as part of the Amiga Forever app on Google Play Store for only £1.79.
      You ABSOLUTELY NEED to get hold of these EXACT kickroms:
      kick34005.A500 kick37175.A500 kick40063.A600 kick40068.A1200 Some info on kickrom file names and how to match them up correctly can be found here.
      MAKE SURE THE FILENAMES ARE PRECISE! I left one of those As in lowercase and Retroarch didn't like it.
      You also need a properly prepared WHDLoad.hdf file: ADD THESE EXACT KICKROMS TO YOUR WHDload.hdf file (guide to do this here using ADF Opus)
      Copy all these file to the external drive you are keeping your Hyperspin setup on (I made a 'bios' folder in mine for safe keeping).
      3. Retroarch Setup
      Install the latest Retroarch on your NVIDEA Shield (probably works on other Android setups too). You can do this through the Google Play store, but as of writing this, version 1.8.9_GIT definitely works.
      You will need to make sure you have setup a way to load the Retroarch main menu from within games. Go to 'Settings', 'Input', 'Hotkeys' and set the 'Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo' to something like 'Select + Start'.
      Download the latest Commodore - Amiga (P-UAE) core from within Retroarch (use 'Online Updater' menu)
      Now 'Load Core' and choose the P-UAE Core. Start the core, then immediately go back to the Retroarch menu (Start + Select). From the 'Quickmenu' select 'Options'. Change the 'Model' here to something with plenty of power like the 'A1200 (2MB + 8MB)'. Scroll down to 'Global Boot HD' and 'WHDLoad Support' and make sure both of these are marked as 'Files'.
      One other thing from within Retroarch: having a way to 'Quit' from within games is useful for Hyperspin. So go to 'Settings', 'Hotkeys' choose a button for 'Quit Retroarch' (I use the click of my Left Analogue, but anything will do). You may also need to mess around with button mappings, but most of this should work fine if you have a NVIDEA Shield compatible gamepad. Mouse and keyboard are also, obviously, nice additions for Amiga stuff.
      Go back to 'Quick Menu', 'Overrides' and select 'Save Core Overrides' to make sure your Retroarch Amiga setup is saved.
      Lastly, and very importantly...
      Leave Retroarch. You will need an Android directory viewing program like 'FX File Explorer' for this step. Copy the EXACT kickroms listed above and the WHDload.hdf file you created into the /Retroarch/System/ folder on the INTERNAL drive of the NVIDEA Shield.
      4. Commodore Amiga.ini Commands
      In your Hyperspin setup you should now have all your roms, videos, images, menu setup, and a Commodore Amiga.xml database file all neat and tidy.
      You now need to get Hyperspin to talk to Retroarch properly.
      Back on your PC, load your Hyperspin folder and go to the /Settings_Android/ folder.
      Create or open the Commodore Amiga.ini in a text editor. Most of the stuff in here will be the same as other systems, but you can find my ini file attached here.
      Make sure the top lines in your ini read like this:
      [exe info] path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\Commodore Amiga\ rompath=Roms/Commodore Amiga/roms userompath=true exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture romextension=zip,hdf,lha,HDF,ZIP,LHA parameters=cores/puae_libretro_android.so searchsubfolders=false pcgame=false winstate=HIDDEN hyperlaunch=true Each of these lines corresponds to your setup. So if you have your roms folder somewhere else, you need to tell the file. If you are ONLY using .zip versions of your roms, then you don't need the entire 'romextension=zip,hdf,lha,HDF,ZIP,LHA'  line - you can change this to just 'romextension=zip' and it will work fine. (But my line here covers all the possible rom extensions, so you can leave it). The 'exe' and 'parameters' entries are really important, as this tells Hyperspin to load Retroarch, and then Retroarch which core to load for Commodore Amiga.
      Save your file, and hook your Hyperspin external drive back to your NVIDEA Shield.
      5. Play some games
      Everything *should* be working now. If you are having problems with videos and roms matching up, or entries showing in the Amiga menu on your Hyperspin, then that is an issue with your original setup. There are many tutorials out there.
      I can vouch that THIS EXACT setup works great, and loads and plays most Amiga games I have thrown at it without too many glitches.
      6. Now, please answer me a Q 
      When using an external mouse in Retroarch and playing a game like Lemmings, I get TWO cursors - the in game Lemmings cursor, and the NVIDEA Shield arrow.
      Does anyone know how to get rid of this for good? Thanks
      Commodore Amiga.ini
    • By Acet
      Hi all, hope someone can help me. I'm trying to set up Retroarch with the core ScummVM with Hyperspin. I followed this guide ,
      but am stuck on a few points.
      1. Where do I create my game folders? I put them in Hyperspin/Emulators/ScummVM/roms. Is this OK?
      2. Where do the media folders go? E.g. Day of the Tentacle, do I put the media folder in Hyperspin/Media/tentacle? Or do I have a media folder inside the folder where I put my rom?
      3. None of the media I've saved in the standard Media path currently shows up on the wheel, I'm assuming that's because the XML file has the "game/folder" structure in place, so fixing 2 will fix this?
      4. I couldn't edit the settings in Retroarch for ScummVM (rom path etc) is this needed, or will the games launch anyway? They seem to work fine when I manually select the *.scummvm file
      5. Finally this guide is pretty old, so is there a newer/better way to do this? Perhaps using the ScummVM apk instead of Retroarch?

Thanks in advance for any help. 
    • By Wandurlust
      Hi all, It seems retroarch (at least on android) has removed their Mupen64plus core and replaced it with Mupen64plus-next. My hyperspin (Nvidia shield) won't launch N64 games anymore because it's trying to launch a core that no longer exist. I have tried editing my "Nintendo 64.ini" file with multiple variations to get the new core to launch, but I cannot get it to work. Anyone know the new core parameters off hand? I've searched quite a bit and am coming up empty.  Just to clarify I'm looking for the "Parameters =" line under the exe= that determines which core retro arch will use. I have confirmed manually loading the "Mupen64Plus-Next" core works with content. I just can't seem to get the command line correct to have it launch from hyperspin. Any help is appreciated thanks! I have already switched to it launching "Mupen64 FZ" in the meantime, but I prefer the launch coming from retroarch because FZ resumes mid-game where you left off when starting from hyperspin, and I prefer the WOW factor of games loading from the title screen.
    • By Honosuseri
      As we celebrate 25 years of DOOM! John Romero has brought us SIGIL, an unofficial 5th chapter to the original game. So as Retroarch's Prboom core has now been updated to support it...figured I should really add it to my Doom Classics wheel...
      Threw together a Sigil theme, wheel art and video snap. I was pleasantly surprised, that the prboom core now played the midi music natively. Doom 1&2 originally required me to add the music tracks as mp3 files.