Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Closing emulators with a gamepad/controller only. Replacing escape key. How do I do it?

Clunker

Hey guys, so here's the deal....

I started this Hyperspin project like 5 years ago. I got it mostly set up but then I got busy and it got shoved in a closet. I took it out yesterday to hook it up at my Aunt's house for her kids. I need to get it working completely by controller only. No keyboard. I'm almost there but I just have one problem...

There's two emulators I can't find a way to close without the keyboard's escape key, JNES (an NES emulator) and Fusion (a Genesis emulator). 

There's no way to remap a "close" function in those emulators' options. At least none I can see. So how do I get this working? I need to be able to hit like the trigger button and it take me back to the Hyperspin menus. Any suggestions?

I'm planning on starting a new hyperspin project soon so I'm not going to do much to fix this busted rig. I'm not going to download a new version of hyperspin or anything. 

In this scenario I'd lean toward installing Retroarch perhaps. It automatically takes a lot of work out of assigning controllers and buttons it's easy to configure that stuff and then it works across multiple systems so stuff like that only needs to be set once.

When you install it it can be a little bit overwhelming for options to begin with, but it's fairly straightforward once you work it out. 

If you are not familiar with it, it's basically like and 'all in one' emulator where you select a 'core' for the system you are using.

you can set a combo key in rocketlauncher

something like what is found on retropie set up

Start+ select = exit key.

and as suggested  I would  ditch the individual emulators and start using Retroarch

if you can't stand Retroarch,  use Mednafen, it runs all the classic Nintendo and Sega stuff among other systems.

the uniform installation will work wonders for you

On 12/2/2018 at 3:04 AM, 32assassin said:

I would  ditch the individual emulators and start using Retroarch

Yeah, I'm not going to set up a bunch of new crap for this. I'm looking for the easiest method possible. I use Retroarch on my computer, but this computer is staying as is until it's wheels fall off. I'm not looking to invest a lot of time here. I just need an efficient way to exit those two emulators from a controller. 

you can do whatever you want,  you been given more then one option

I suggested the easiest method possible for you,  set up one emulator --> you pretty much set up 90% of your systems.

Mednafen does not need a high end PC so you can use that on your current  computer.

But if you think that setting multiple emulators is the easy way,  go for it.

Archived