Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Best steering wheel sensitivity?

MAMERox7542

Get the G29, basically the same BUT has more buttons so a more versatile wheel!

That's a lot to pay just for Mame games. Although there are plenty of good driving games if you also do Arcade rips (more Modern Arcade cabinets that are actually PCs) and of course the proper PC racing games/sims

My favorite mame racers were all "free spinning" wheel types... think SuperSprint, IS's Offroad and Hot Rod!!!

Looks like I will need 2 different wheels. :(

Or do modern wheels have the capability to switch to this kind of mode?

I am interested in what all you race fanatics are doing for this. D'yall just mount a steering wheel on a spinner? I've seen the rinky dink little ones you can buy that mount on them, but they are meant to be easily on/off so you can still get your Arkenoid on. But has anyone mounted like... an original Super Sprint wheel or anything?

59 minutes ago, Spawk said:

My favorite mame racers were all "free spinning" wheel types... think SuperSprint, IS's Offroad and Hot Rod!!!

I am interested in what all you race fanatics are doing for this. D'yall just mount a steering wheel on a spinner? I've seen the rinky dink little ones you can buy that mount on them, but they are meant to be easily on/off so you can still get your Arkenoid on. But has anyone mounted like... an original Super Sprint wheel or anything?

Not to my knowledge. The G29 if memory serves has 900 degrees of rotation and has a force feed back motor, it doesn't rumble it actively fights your input. I honestly don't really spend anytime in my MAME wheel at all, although it obviously has some classics in there my friends do want to play. The Arcade PC driving games are actually pretty good, my friends got a kick out of the Initial D series of drifting games as they were Japanese (I've never seen them in the UK).

I actually haven't built a cabinet yet to mount anything on, although my Uncle showed great interest having one on the family Yacht. I can't decide between a traditional stand up cabinet, an "arcade coffee table"/cocktail cab or a Pinball style with the Arcade sticks mounted on.

I intend to grab a Rift S VR headset in the holiday sales. I do have New Retro Arcade: Neon setup with lots of MAME games. It's literally a virtual arcade so I'm thinking it would be kind of cool to stand in front of a stand up cabinet in the real world and use it's controls to play games in the "virtual world". Whatever I end up building I'll do a build log on here.

10 hours ago, Spawk said:

When I looked in to it i found some great topics on the arcade controls forums.

Iirc the general census was that full size wheels on a spinner setup had to be custom made. The "off the shelf" parts cant handle the larger sized wheels on spinner assemblies. I dont remember finding a current setup. I am still a ways away from build so decided to look again next year.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, Spawk said:

This was my solution, it doesn't get much use though as I'm lazy with regard to setting it up.

That's awesome Giga!

The wheel still looks a little small for my tastes but seems like I could go bigger as long as I can keep the weight down right?

I would also probably do something a little more permanent... hey can you have/use more than 1 spinner in mame? You need more than 1 person to really enjoy these racers.

Archived