Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Nudging options

northvibe

I noticed that on my joystick, it does not refer to the third axis as +/-Z but rather as +/-S1.

Well, next time I get a chance, I will look at the file that defines the inputs and see if there is a way to add the S axis and use it for the plunger... Is it safe to assume you have the sidewinder freestyle pro USB? With the small wheel on the pad?

(edit: just corrected some spelling, damn android autocorrect... :stupid: )

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
koadic,

It is not the "sidewinder freestyle pro USB", it is the "sidewinder joystick" an older model joystick. That is how XP lists it. The only thing I have figured out so far, is that the third axis is intended as a throttle.

Mostly Decaf

Sorry, :) just assumed you were using a gamepad and not a full joystick, in the end it doesn't really matter anyway...

Ok, I found where the z axis is associated with the plunger, and I assume the '+/-S1' is what is referred to as a slider, so I have gone and created an entry under the slider input for the mechanical plunger. (This will probably work for the wheel on the sidewinder gamepad too, not sure)

(Edit: recompiled to re add additional gamepad profiles back to original setup +generic gamepad support. Link is now to updated version, labeled as 912b)

HERE is the link for the exe (link moved to different location, hosted on a seedbox, is a direct download), and incorporates using the slider as the mechanical plunger, tested as working with using my PS3 controller as I can assign the sticks to slider/dial/x/y/z/rx/ry/rz axes and removed the z axis from the testing profile to insure I was seeing an actual result. The weird thing is that under the game controller properties, it shows the slider as dial, and dial as slider; if I set the stick to slider and calibrate the controller, it shows me calibrating the dial axis, but works in Visual Pinball, but if I set it to the dial axis in my configuration program and then calibrate it where it shows as the slider, it wont work. This is why I think that even if the gamepad properties shows the 'Z' axis, it may be possible that it is seen as something else entirely by Visual Pinball. In this version of the exe, the 'Z' axis will still work for the plunger, as that wasn't removed, just added the same entry under the slider axis. And if this doesn't work, I can try to put the same entry under the 'dial' axis too, as I am not sure which of S1 or S2 is the slider or the dial.

old code

case DIJOFS_SLIDER(0):
#ifdef _DEBUGx
if( g_pplayer )// && uShockDevice == joyk) 
{
	g_pplayer->mechPlungerIn(u.i); //testing
}
#endif
break;

new code

case DIJOFS_SLIDER(0):
if( g_pplayer )
{
	g_pplayer->mechPlungerIn(-u.i);
}
break;

ADD: For anyone else having issues with their specific gamepad/joystick, do like mostlydecaf did, get the rbjoy program and see what axes are available and what buttons/wheels/sticks/etc they are associated with (it seems to show what you actually have instead of what the windows gamepad control panel thinks you have), as I can compile a custom exe for you and add the mechanical plunger in for x/y/rx/ry/rz/s1/s2 (z is already associated with the plunger), especially if you don't want nudge, but you have a gamepad with an x or y axis that you want to incorporate for the plunger.

koadic,

Thank you so very much. Obviously I need to get myself a copy of visual studio pro so I can mess around with the source myself. But first, I have surgery on my cabinet to perform, so that the switch plunger controls the joystick slider. Also to see if I can adapt x/y with a counter weight for some form of analog nudging, rather than the plumb weights now installed.

Thank you again.

Mostly Decaf.

Doh! I forgot to mention..... Yes it works. The direction is correct, it matches future pinball. I do have one question though. I have an ipac2 controller for all the buttons. It seems to me that the joystick and the ipac2 fight some times. If one is controlling the flippers, the other does nothing. I have to investigate this. I don't want the buttons to do anything on the joystick, just the pots. But I love the control on the plunger I am seeing. I just need to connect the two together mechanically. Should not be to hard.

Mostly Decaf

A SixAxis PS3 controller fits the bill great for this, it has analog sticks and an accelerometer (don't need to attach weights to one of the sticks). I already have a nanotech unit in the cab I am building, but if a friend of mine ever gets around to building one for himself, we are probably gonna try going the PS3 controller route. I currently have one torn apart (case was already damaged) and gonna see if I can interface it with some other buttons and utilize it as a PBW replacement, as it has a total of 17 inputs along with the analog sticks.

To use a PS3 controller via usb cable (bluetooth works too, but not necessary in a cab), you just need to go to motioninjoy.com and download the drivers for it there.

just tested it out. worked fine except still didnt get nudging working. had to actually tilt the controller to register a nudge. i assume i am missing a setting somewhere...

just tested it out. worked fine except still didnt get nudging working. had to actually tilt the controller to register a nudge. i assume i am missing a setting somewhere...

Well, so long as you can actually roll the ball around the table with tilting the controller, you just need to adjust the jolt amount and accelerometer gain. Noah has suggested starting with a gain of 5.5 and a jolt amount of 1500. One thing though, to save the accelerometer gain for the table, you need to use a regular version of Visual Pinball, as the modified version I compiled will always save it as 1.5, not sure why.

Well, so long as you can actually roll the ball around the table with tilting the controller, you just need to adjust the jolt amount and accelerometer gain. Noah has suggested starting with a gain of 5.5 and a jolt amount of 1500. One thing though, to save the accelerometer gain for the table, you need to use a regular version of Visual Pinball, as the modified version I compiled will always save it as 1.5, not sure why.

good to know. once the sweet spot is found is there a reason to set it per table? i mean if it isnt different on each table then maybe i will just hardcode it into a compile.

No reason not to set per table I would think.

Doh, problem with working overnight and just recently waking up... :sleep:

I meant I see no reason not to use it as a default value for every table

+1. Maybe i will make it a config file option so that people could just edit a file. same with mechanical plunger. dont see why that isnt always enabled even if the table doesnt support it.

That would be cool to just edit a single file and have it load the gain/jolt settings from there (or registry entry)

Doh, problem with working overnight and just recently waking up... :sleep:

I meant I see no reason not to use it as a default value for every table

That would be cool to just edit a single file and have it load the gain/jolt settings from there (or registry entry)

I am lazy, would probably just do it with an ini file. easier on me and the people that would be using it should be able to understand it. will have to find time to see if it is possible. i am sure it is though...

edit: looking at the source here at work it looks like it will be pretty simple. will probably do this unless someone can see a reason not to.

Inspired by the thread (and lacking nudge) i bought a ps3 controller and set it up for analog nudge. It works great aside from a few issues:

1) the motioninjoy gui and it not auto enabling the profile after a boot

2) the dualshock controller having to be turned on after a boot. Although it seems to if i use a piece of tape on the power button (not sure if that is good for it or not)

I'd like a recompile with updated nudge settings or at least one that doesnt force gain to 1.5. I tried saving a table with 5.5 with another version as suggested but it still comes up with 1.5 with the compiled version

Overall once in game this is an awesome solution. I played for several hours and beat some of my high scores because i can now nudge. Thanks guys!!!

Koadic,

Ive been reading some of the progress you have been making. Great work.

I was interested in checking out the latest changes you made with sliders but I am unable to download the exe from mediafire...I tried a couple different computers to no avail. Could you possibly reupload?

BitPirate

I am lazy, would probably just do it with an ini file. easier on me and the people that would be using it should be able to understand it. will have to find time to see if it is possible. i am sure it is though...

edit: looking at the source here at work it looks like it will be pretty simple. will probably do this unless someone can see a reason not to.

in long run - final solution - that could even go to official source would be to have all nudge/plunger related settings in some setup window - for example with keys setup like in FP (together with buttons config and choice of axis for nudge/plunger)

tables could be extended with only one flag - check box - overwrite general settings, so that you can still fix some tables manually when you click this check box, but all other should work by general options

but until somebody does that you can just hardcode some good settings in exe so that every table has plunger and nudge enabled regardless of what is in the table

don't know how would you do that for plunger since you have to find plunger opject in table and enable it, and some tables don't even have plunger

in long run - final solution - that could even go to official source would be to have all nudge/plunger related settings in some setup window - for example with keys setup like in FP (together with buttons config and choice of axis for nudge/plunger)

tables could be extended with only one flag - check box - overwrite general settings, so that you can still fix some tables manually when you click this check box, but all other should work by general options

but until somebody does that you can just hardcode some good settings in exe so that every table has plunger and nudge enabled regardless of what is in the table

don't know how would you do that for plunger since you have to find plunger opject in table and enable it, and some tables don't even have plunger

is development still ongoing for visualpinball?

in the interim i could do it as an ini. I would be willing to contribute to the project in some capacity. I would like to see another controller type added like the pbw but with no buttons assigned. That way every gamepad could be assigned as that and pbw compatibility wouldnt be broken.

Archived