Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nudging options

northvibe

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, for a direct download from a seedbox I have access to (both have the slider axis enabled for the plunger)...

Version where all gamepads are recognized as PBW LINK

Version with normal gamepad profiles with additional gamepads recognized as PBW LINK

Thanks Koadic!

Syco, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I tried what I read not to do to calibrate it, which was to actually shove the table around (with the board mounted). Since I have wood floors and some nice oak pin foot covers, my table can move around pretty well without scarring the floor.

So I mounted the board, went into calibration and did some quick left, right, forward and back nudges to the table. Then I moved the accel gain back to 1.5, incresed the DeadZone to 5 and upped the vpmNudge.Sensitivity to 10. Now it tilts more like a real machine.

I tried the same settings + recalibrated (using your method) and STILL cannot get my PBW to tilt. Im betting you have the DIY kit from Nanotech? Does every table you've tried tilt? Can you tell we what tables are tilting for you? What version are you using of vpinmame? That could make a difference- (im still using Vpinmame v22)....

Cujopb

OK so I tossed everything in my cab to play a bit. Couldn't resist... Anyways I couldn't get analog nudging working at all. Again it works if I actually tilt the controller but not when it just gets bumped. Is there a setup guide that I am missing here? Really wish I could nudge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

OK so I tossed everything in my cab to play a bit. Couldn't resist... Anyways I couldn't get analog nudging working at all. Again it works if I actually tilt the controller but not when it just gets bumped. Is there a setup guide that I am missing here? Really wish I could nudge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

If you are using anything other than the official release, it seems accelerometer gain is stuck at 1.5 regardless of what it is set at. I think it has something to do with support for separate x and y gains being added to source, as it had caused an issue with saving any value initially (would always revert to 1.5 upon save), but even after Destruk fixed that issue, now it seems changing the value doesn't effect the gain amount, and it is stuck at 1.5.

On my modified version I have posted over @ VPForums.org, I am including support for assigning all axes (X, Y, and Plunger) and along with it I am including boxes to set the individual gain values (which does work), tested by setting to 0 and it killed all movement from stick. I have recently added an image with a preview of what it will look like, but still working on the actual code to make it work, but should have it done in an hour or so hopefully. :)

If you are using anything other than the official release, it seems accelerometer gain is stuck at 1.5 regardless of what it is set at. I think it has something to do with support for separate x and y gains being added to source, as it had caused an issue with saving any value initially (would always revert to 1.5 upon save), but even after Destruk fixed that issue, now it seems changing the value doesn't effect the gain amount, and it is stuck at 1.5.

On my modified version I have posted over @ VPForums.org, I am including support for assigning all axes (X, Y, and Plunger) and along with it I am including boxes to set the individual gain values (which does work), tested by setting to 0 and it killed all movement from stick. I have recently added an image with a preview of what it will look like, but still working on the actual code to make it work, but should have it done in an hour or so hopefully. :)

cool, thanks! can you then set up a little guide for how to set up nudging? i have not been able to find any info. also where is your thread for the custom build?

Ok, uploaded a new build, available from same link above... now time for me to go to bed :goodnight:

well i tested it and it worked. i had nudging, kinda... the problem was the table appeared to be tilted up and to the right. i calibrated a few times but still had the issue. disabled nudging after that.

also is there a way that you can add jolt to keys? i assume the 100% gain is the accelerometer gain. is this a % of the gain that the table has?

edit: guess this should really go on vpforums for your build. will post it in there as well.

• 4 weeks later...
A SixAxis PS3 controller fits the bill great for this, it has analog sticks and an accelerometer (don't need to attach weights to one of the sticks). I already have a nanotech unit in the cab I am building, but if a friend of mine ever gets around to building one for himself, we are probably gonna try going the PS3 controller route. I currently have one torn apart (case was already damaged) and gonna see if I can interface it with some other buttons and utilize it as a PBW replacement, as it has a total of 17 inputs along with the analog sticks.

To use a PS3 controller via usb cable (bluetooth works too, but not necessary in a cab), you just need to go to motioninjoy.com and download the drivers for it there.

How did this work out ? I Have a spare SixAxis PS3 controller lying arround and could put it into my cabinet.

Love to try it for nudging in my cabinet.

• 1 month later...
cool, thanks! can you then set up a little guide for how to set up nudging? i have not been able to find any info.

I know this thread seems dead but im sure others are still looking for a setup guide for Nudging of the Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro

i have mine working but im sure i could tweak it a lot better if i knew what i was doing lol

I know this thread seems dead but im sure others are still looking for a setup guide for Nudging of the Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro

i have mine working but im sure i could tweak it a lot better if i knew what i was doing lol

i still have not gotten mine working perfect. it works well enough i suppose.

When I did my MS sidewinder I just when to Wal-Mart.

Custom Accessories OTX Portable Device Holder with Flex-Neck

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16386503&findingMethod=rr

it worked really well.

Then I setup a friends and I used a bike one. This did not work at all like mine it was very bad.

So I went back to Wal-Mart and bought the same one I have as with mine I took off silver bar.

I just driller a couple holes in the mounting pad put the screws right through it.

This worked great again.

I used gstav config file.

The first image did not work well at all.

I think it is because the Wal-Mart one has a long mounting arm this amplifies the motion when you nudge.

post-39825-142870577038_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870577042_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trying to understand the analog nudging here.

I have the nanotech motion plunger and after countless hours and assistance from Deegor (who was very patient and helpful), it still doesn't work!

So off to plan B the game pad for analog movement.

Could any usb game pad/joystick work or is it because, if i read correctly the side winder game pad is used because of the "tilt sensing"within the gamepad,and windows recognition being a major issue.

The only reason i ask is it is a game pad that was developed in the late '90's and wanted to get something more current. I have seen xbox and ps2 and ps3 controllers but i looks like there is a scripting problem of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the tilt bob assembly I ordered the other day and decided to try something different. My approach was to use the original tilt bob assembly, only splitting the metal ring into 3 different points of contact for left, right and front nudge, instead of using multiple tilt bobs:

The images show the before, after and my plan on how to install it and isolate the red area to avoid double tilt (front>right or front>left as the pendulum swings back and forth).

The reason I tried this is to keep the inside of the machine as clean as possible while using real parts to do the job. It's ready to be mounted and tested, so I hope it works!

-Kris

post-10134-14287058389_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870583892_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870584152_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to plan a mini-virtual cab. I've found a lot of helpful information on Hyperspin, but it seems most of the info here revolves around Future Pinball or Visual Pinball. The software I'm most interested in running is FX2 or Pinball Arcade.

I'm very much interested in incorporating a analog nudge (not digital like buttons, mercury switches, etc). My thought was to cannibalize a 360 controller, and map buttons from the pcb to leaf switches for the flipper buttons, etc. Then I wanted to weight the joysticks with a plumb bob. I thought that doing this with a usb-wired 360 controller would make it easy to use with a PC. I haven't found a lot of documentation to note how well this works. Has anyone tried it?

Although I'm really interested in those 2 pieces of software mainly due to physics, I'd also like to utilize the breadth of tables available on Visual Pinball and the like. Will the 360 controller offer hurdles for setup?

if by joystick with plumb bob you mean turning 360 upside down and gluing ball to a stick - i did that for some time and it worked ok

i didn't have it for long cause i lost connection from stick board to main gamepad board - it broke because i moved it too much around and never fixed it, now i will have to solder it to try again, but will do that when i find some time

but 360 should have shock detector which you should be able to use for nudge without tilt bob

you just attach board to your cab firmly with screws and it should detect when you nudge a cab

- you can test it by nudging only controller first and checking if pointer moves in game controler properties

- if it does next step is to attach it to can and see if moves when you nudge cab

- and LAST step is testing and configuring it in a vp with rotation and gain and dead zone and all that things

Archived