Not sure CRT TV or LCD TV, please help !

optical

Hey Folks and greetz !!

i m planing to build my own mame cab. now i dont now witch screen i should choice. crt tv or a lcd tv, both 32 inch.

right now i m setting up hyperspin and my pc runs on a lcd flat monitor.. but when i´m startin a NES game it looks so shitty. mutch to sharp!

but i wnat to play on my cab all so newer games, so these would look mutch better on a lcd flat then on a crt tv. and i want to install light guns, very importent ^^ but i read that light guns are hard the get running on lcd. is that right..?

sorry folks for my bad engl. but i m from germany.. and here is no scene who i could ask.. thank you !!!

Hi, it really depends on your use case. If you focus on oldschool games only, a CRT - maybe even 15KHz - can be a great choice. If you play newer games with high resolution, a lcd is the better choice, I think. Lightguns will be hard on LCD, don't know if this is even possible with NES or Mame.

Also think of the aspect ratio of you screen, CRTs from the past used to be 4:3.

I used a TFT with 5:4 and native 1280*1024 resolution. I set the resolution to 640*480 in MAME and all 90's console emulators and added the SLG3000 Scanline Generator. The SLG3000 created Scanline in 640*480 and 800*600 only. This way, the image is scanlined for all low resolution games and higher res games will be crystal clear in 1280*1024.

There is no "best for all" solution, set your preferences. ;)

If you only use Mame, you can use the D3D Shader Effects to simulate scanlines, CRT masks, etc... But it costs a lot of performance and other system emulators may not have this shaders. The SLG3000 hardware solution scanlines all 640'480 analog VGA signals.

I am a crt guy. That being said, if I was to start from scratch I would go LCD. Crt limits your video card, OS, and front end choices. With HLSL and other options such as scan-line hardware dongles it doesn't make sense from a time, money, or effort standpoint.

Another consideration is flexibility when moving. I had to hire professional movers specifically for my 35 inch CRT cabinet. In the long run LCD is just easier and with minimal effort can mimic the looks or crt.

Funny thing is that two years ago this was no where near the case. I think crt emulation has come a long way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes, if you're playing Pac Man on a horizontal screen, the lines would be horizontal. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the old CRT games that were vertically oriented, had vertical scan lines.

Indeed you would be correct, But that was only because the monitor was rotated 90 degrees. to give you a 3:4 screen. I personally use a 21" 1600x1200 LCD with scanline generator and the fact that my monitor does not rotate so scanlines are incorrect on vertical games is quite annoying. Maybe my next machine will have a rotating monitor. Random Ramble end.

Hi, it really depends on your use case. If you focus on oldschool games only, a CRT - maybe even 15KHz - can be a great choice. If you play newer games with high resolution, a lcd is the better choice, I think. Lightguns will be hard on LCD, don't know if this is even possible with NES or Mame.

Also think of the aspect ratio of you screen, CRTs from the past used to be 4:3.

I used a TFT with 5:4 and native 1280*1024 resolution. I set the resolution to 640*480 in MAME and all 90's console emulators and added the SLG3000 Scanline Generator. The SLG3000 created Scanline in 640*480 and 800*600 only. This way, the image is scanlined for all low resolution games and higher res games will be crystal clear in 1280*1024.

There is no "best for all" solution, set your preferences. ;)

Hey mate,

Can we see some pics or a little video showing that SLG3000 generator with the 5:4 TFT?

Archived