Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Torrent confusion

phulshof

I've tried to piece together the rules regarding torrent based distribution of Hyperspin art/wheels/themes etc., but I haven't succeeded yet. Some things I found on the forums:

- There is a torrent floating around on the torrent sites, but it's very old content.

- There is a torrent in the download section. (I haven't been able to find it yet, but that may just be my failure)

- Hyperspin content may not be re-hosted.

- Feel free to create your own torrent and distribute.

So, is there a torrent based distribution of the Hyperspin content? Is it up to date? If not, is anyone planning to create an up to date torrent in the near future or would it be allowed to do so yourself?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

There is a old hyperspin project torrent that is like 90 gb but it's incredibly outdated and mis named. You should pay for the platinum here and on emu movies and it will get you all the artwork and vids. As for the roms there are compete sets out there that are correctly named but can't talk about it here.

Please don't get me wrong: I have every intention of getting a gold or platinum membership here (and on emumovies) depending on the answers to another thread I started here regarding usage under Linux. I was merely curious to the rules regarding creating and maintaining torrents for (partial) setups to help people get started. If someone already has plans to do so, that would be great, and if not I might be interested in taking on such a project. The posts on this forum are a bit confusing in that regard, where some claim it's not allowed, and others claim it's absolutely fine. In http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?1298-New-FTP-access-to-HyperSpin-Themes for instance, BBB states: "Again all downloads on this site remain free and people are free to make torrents or upload to newsgroups or whatever and share that way.". That thread however is very old (2008), and I want to make sure what the rules are to avoid breaking them.

The only torrent worth creating is one with "FREE" emulators included and "kind of" set up. andy]andy has done that and it was up on the ftp but later removed due it having bios files included, which is also a no no here. Those are still available up on Mega though, but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it kind of impossible to have a complete setup? When is it fully setup, that's down to whoever creates the torrent on how many systems they care to add, and it will always require some end user input, there will alway be problems and settings to tweak.

But something for people to get started with would be great, if it stops people buying a badly put together hard drives, which they get frustrated with and then instead of going back to the seller, they end up here with a big mess to sort out.

You can't create torrents that contain artwork and movies both of which are part of the platinum and gold service. The roms there are multiple sets that have been properly named and are all there, but on private torrent trackers.

Do you have a link to where this is clearly stated by one of the administrators? The last official reference I found is the one I mentioned above by BadBoyBill where he states that it IS allowed, at least when it comes to the art hosted on the FTP server. Obviously this is not allowed for the content from Emumovies (who have a different policy) and for ROMs (where most copyright holders will object). As far as I know, gold and platinum service simply offer convenience (which for obvious reasons comes at a price; hosting is far from cheap).

The only torrent worth creating is one with "FREE" emulators included and "kind of" set up. andy]andy has done that and it was up on the ftp but later removed due it having bios files included, which is also a no no here. Those are still available up on Mega though, but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it kind of impossible to have a complete setup? When is it fully setup, that's down to whoever creates the torrent on how many systems they care to add, and it will always require some end user input, there will alway be problems and settings to tweak.

But something for people to get started with would be great, if it stops people buying a badly put together hard drives, which they get frustrated with and then instead of going back to the seller, they end up here with a big mess to sort out.

A complete setup is indeed not possible due to copyright law, but it should be possible to help people on their way with a partial setup. I was considering art (wheel/cart/box/theme) torrents for every system, and a torrent containing all art. My main question is: do Hyperspin rules allow such a thing? BBB said in 2008 that it was fine, but I'd like to get a fresh ruling from one of the administrators.

They do indeed say that 6 years ago, but BBB hasn't been around for sometime so perhaps ownership has passed to someone else. Your best bet to be completely clear is to contact both Circo and jhabers regarding your question.

If there was a complete torrent then there is surely no need for a costly ftp?

What confuses me is how can artwork be freely available and not the videos? Both are time consuming to create, was it just Bills mantra to offer artwork for free?

They do indeed say that 6 years ago, but BBB hasn't been around for sometime so perhaps ownership has passed to someone else. Your best bet to be completely clear is to contact both Circo and jhabers regarding your question.

If there was a complete torrent then there is surely no need for a costly ftp?

What confuses me is how can artwork be freely available and not the videos? Both are time consuming to create, was it just Bills mantra to offer artwork for free?

Should I contact them directly, or will they pick up this thread sooner or later?

An FTP has the advantage that users can upload their own works as well so they can be combined by the administrators. Maintaining torrent files not only requires administration dedication, but also community dedication to keep the torrent alive.

Why emumovies has/had a different policy I cannot say. Doesn't Emumovies already offer torrent files?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

im cutting to the chase getting a hard drive with all roms and isos 4tb  saves me money downloading! and all so pleasuredome control. saving me years off my life on the computer.

I setup HyperSpin on several systems but was frustrated at my inability to find good rom sets for use with HyperSpin.  I always had to rename and find those few missing roms.  I am still in that boat BUT I recently had a commission to build a cocktail table for a guy at work.  With that money I figured I would buy a hard drive with HyperSpin setup.  It cost me $300 for a 5tb drive and all of the systems set up.  The guy I bought it from boasted over 90,000 games.  When the drive arrived nearly half of the setup systems had errors, the emulators were out of date (majorly), and barely had a 6th of the games boasted.  Since I did not pay for the drive per say, I have premium access here and emumovies, and was curious I gave it a try.  If I could give you advice though do it yourself.  If you are not familar with the set up you will have issues that you will spend more time trying to figure out how to fix.

im cutting to the chase getting a hard drive with all roms and isos 4tb  saves me money downloading! and all so pleasuredome control. saving me years off my life on the computer.

Given your posts I'm not surprised, never were the brightest individual. 

Justinwebb:    'given your posts I'm not surprised, never were the brightest individual'

This is an incredibly naïve statement.   If you make minimum wage (say $10), you can work 30hrs, buy a half-assed 70% Hyperspin setup that is 'good enough' for 90% of the people interested (in casual emulation of 'old' games)...  

How many hours do most of us spend on our hyperspin setup?      Most spend many more hours tinkering than playing.

It's a very real trade-off of time that most aren't willing to make.   

• 2 weeks later...

for me it's just completing my roms and isos. the artwork well who needs that got my own personal art work! the cost in downloading forbidding images are expensive and time consuming. better to spend with wife and kids than on a computer screen.

thats all! not to piss people off and most of the trouble caused here was me helping people with roms etc. and by me typing i just add more fuel to the fire. strange because hyperspin is a front end to emulation for forbidden files. 

hyperspin is the greatest front end ever! i would spend my whole life to perfect it. but i don't know if i will ever Finnish it. it's my off time tinker toy!

Archived