Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Going from 16:9 to 4:3 for cab

Trnzaddict

Hey guys, just need some opinions. There is a 21.3 inch 4:3 flatscreen monitor at my local pawnshop for cheap. Right now I'm running a 24 inch 16:9 in my cab.

Well I just started using MAME's HLSL and it really is amazing.....but the pincushion effect on a 16:9 display just don't look good, and when I choose to keep the aspect ratio the picture is just too small.

So I'm honestly considering swapping it out. On top of giving me at least a correct aspect ratio, due to the shape of my monitor area in my cab, the 4:3 will just fit nicer, rather than having a crap load of wasted space like I have now. Plus I think running this size monitor will give me a larger vertical game experience.

What do you guys think? Would you swap it out or keep the 16:9?

Hey guys, just need some opinions. There is a 21.3 inch 4:3 flatscreen monitor at my local pawnshop for cheap. Right now I'm running a 24 inch 16:9 in my cab.

Well I just started using MAME's HLSL and it really is amazing.....but the pincushion effect on a 16:9 display just don't look good, and when I choose to keep the aspect ratio the picture is just too small.

So I'm honestly considering swapping it out. On top of giving me at least a correct aspect ratio, due to the shape of my monitor area in my cab, the 4:3 will just fit nicer, rather than having a crap load of wasted space like I have now. Plus I think running this size monitor will give me a larger vertical game experience.

What do you guys think? Would you swap it out or keep the 16:9?

I have a 21 lcd in my cab. Most of the systems i have setup are 4x3. The few that are not, i use a bezel that fills the top and bottom. That way, none of the games are stretched.

Thanks,

Ron

I agree that using Bezels can solve the Aspect issue, you can try it and see if it's enough for you, if not, consider buying this monitor you mentioned.

Yea the bezels are cool, the reason I don't like using them is when the aspect ratio is corrected the play view really gets small, and while I don't mind it for vertical games, horizontal games Its not as tolerable. With the 4:3 monitor I will be getting correct aspect ratio with a much larger screen, and the HLSL effects will look much nicer because of no stretching.

Considering the amount they want for it I will probably pick it up.

I'm using a 4:3 monitor on desktop and a 16:9 on htpc. Playing a vertical shmups on a 16:9 is a nightmare the playfield is too little, with or without stretching... and we're talking of a 32' lcd. Vertical games look even better on a 5:4, obviously :P

If you really like vertical shooter and do not use modern games (sf4, mkk, dolphin, etc) go for the 4:3. If you use a lot modern 16:9 games keep the 16:9, the playfield is too little on a 4:3 (a bit better than a tate game on a a 16:9). Consider also resolution, more pixel you have more space HLSL will have for its "magic" :P Downsampling is not that great with HLSL.

I'm using a 4:3 monitor on desktop and a 16:9 on htpc. Playing a vertical shmups on a 16:9 is a nightmare the playfield is too little, with or without stretching... and we're talking of a 32' lcd. Vertical games look even better on a 5:4, obviously :P

If you really like vertical shooter and do not use modern games (sf4, mkk, dolphin, etc) go for the 4:3. If you use a lot modern 16:9 games keep the 16:9, the playfield is too little on a 4:3 (a bit better than a tate game on a a 16:9). Consider also resolution, more pixel you have more space HLSL will have for its "magic" :P Downsampling is not that great with HLSL.

No heh modern games are only on my htpc and I use a 16:9. Only arcade games are on my cab. I run at 640x480 resolution with a hardware scanline generator. The only games that I *think* use native widescreen are Otomedius, and maybe a couple other type x games.

Archived