Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

New Cab

nitussi

Started on a new sit down vertical cab yesterday and my goal is to get it done in about 3 to 4 days; spending about 5-6 hours a day after work. So it's nothing really fancy. The cab is designed to be in 3 parts; the base, the top, and the control panel. So on day one I started with the control panel..

DAY ONE: The cp.

Simple stuff here. Zippy joysticks and Happ like buttons. 8-way 1 & 2 players and a single 4-way. These joysticks are great when using a wood panel.

112.jpg

Nothing is better than glue and biscuits when connecting thin woods like MDF. Biscuit joiner not needed, just need the proper router bit.

2.jpg

China made dual joypad has a total of 28 inputs, not bad for $5. But sucks if you do not like to solder.

3.jpg

Earlier I printed out the artwork on cheap vinyl and laminated it for protection. Random artwork from the internet to match orange t-molding I had laying around.. again nothing fancy. Then I drilled the holes on the drill press.

5.jpg

4.jpg

The base of the cp with black formica(laminate) front and sides for durability. Also preparing my router for cutting t-molding channel.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Finished product. Wiring the cp took about 2 hours, so not bad for a total of 6 hours including an hour and a half for glue to dry. Tonight I will start on the base of the cab and will post results tomorrow. Thanks!

8.jpg

10.jpg

Ok yesterday I hung out with the fellas, but I was still able to get back to work later. Excuse the camera phone pictures..

DAY TWO: The base.

Luv these T-amps. Clean, cheap, and powerful. Had to remove the volume pot and extend it several inches. Also 6 1/2in speakers I had laying around. Think I paid $15 for them.

29.jpg

21.jpg

I glued, biscuit, and formica this BOX! Hope it comes out right!

20.jpg

23.jpg

Once dried.. I added a little paint, T-amp, and speakers ..well if doesn't look right when I'm finished, at least it will sound good. I may add another pair of speakers at the top half ..maybe 3inch full range.

24.jpg

Red oak for the feet. I am gonna hate painting and laminating this beautiful hardwood.

28.jpg

Ok I am finally finished with the build of the base. Took a little longer than I wanted, but 6 1/2 hours isn't that bad.

26.jpg

25.jpg

Later on tonight I gotta figure out how to mount this 24in 1920x1200 Dell monitor vertically for the top build.

27.jpg

I like the idea of the t-amp. How are you planning to mount it?

Well I have already lengthened the wires and installed it here. Just the Volume pot is all that is needed. I mounted it underside the top, upside down ..if that makes any sense. You can see its on because of the blue light.

post-20997-142870577954_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870577948_thumb.jpg

Ok, results of another 6 hours of work..

DAY THREE: The top half.

Ready for glue.

40.jpg

41.jpg

Like these Dell's because of the quick disconnect bracket. Next, added a little paint..

43.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

Side art from the web. This cab is for my obsession with shooters, so I thought it to be appropriate. It was low resolution so I enhanced it a little and then vectored it in illustrator. Thanks to the original artist and the poster too.

45.jpg

Ok this is it.. not bad for figuring it out as you go!

48.jpg

49.jpg

47.jpg

I can't wait to clean this baby up and get to playing. But I think I will take a day or two break and work on the computer part of it.

As far as the bezel and marquee.. I'm trying to think of a name for it. I am so stumped on it!

Ok yesterday I hung out with the fellas, but I was still able to get back to work later. Excuse the camera phone pictures..

DAY TWO: The base.

Luv these T-amps. Clean, cheap, and powerful. Had to remove the volume pot and extend it several inches. Also 6 1/2in speakers I had laying around. Think I paid $15 for them.

29.jpg

21.jpg

Nice amps where did you get them? I would like to get one myself. I got my speakers now just need a amp.

thanks guys! I chose the last one because I was in a hurry to complete, but I like them all.

Ok, this sit down vertical cabinet is about 99% complete. Well, the actual build.

52.jpg

51.jpg

50.jpg

Total combined build time was around 23 hours give or take. From start to finish in 5 days.

53.jpg

I also made a video that I may post, but I will post a real video as soon as I get Hyperspin working on it. Thanks !

Only a few screws and this thing breaks down in less than a minute.

post-20997-142870578498_thumb.jpg

Here is a video of it booting and running... dual core cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 80 gig sata HD, old Geforce 7950 GT, 200MB version of Windows XP... was gonna replace the bios boot screen, but it only comes up for like a second so I didn't bother. Even jeepguy81's HS bootscreen only last for a second.

Attract mode is set at 5 seconds.

Amazing vertical cocktail themes courtesy of jeepguy81;the TRON theme is NICE! Also props to SORPH for his work on the shmups themes. I got a lot of inspiration from these guys!

post-20997-142870578496_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Yeah you did!!! this is swwwweeet! it's so BAD!!! Great work dude, this makes me wanna go play mine right now!, I hope you are really enjoying it, I like the no backgrounds look, looks really clean

the art looks great, I like the orangish / black theme, and how it breaks down, none of mine do that, hehe, thanks for the props on my themes!

Thanks fellas! Just something I through together.

When I seen you guy's vertical themes, or is it cocktail themes? No not cocktail themes, because if they were cocktail themes then you would have to theme every single mame game since custom cocktail tables can play every game ..hmmnn.. a dilemma I'm having with one of my cocktail builds right now, I have to rotate the original hyperspin vertically if I want to have themes for all the games..

..anyways, when I seen you guys themes I just had to build something to see them in action! They are sweet!

Archived